Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003/2004 ZX6R front end I am fixin to swap on my '99 SV650. Has anyone done this? If so what is involved? Comments?

This is for my street bike, not racing, and I need to know about headlight mounting, gages, ignition switch, etc, etc...

Any info would be great! 8)

Suzanne

·
Registered
537 Posts
i'd actually like to know too since i have my 6RR apart...i believe you could do the exact same thing as you would the gix front end, get a custom bearing from zoran if you have a 1st gen, then install accordingly and it should bolt right up. steering angle maybe different so i'm waiting to see if it's a good or bad thing to swap into the SV.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
um, someone did a lil thing on this not to long ago. i believe that the 6r front end will mount right up like a gsxr. lockhartphillips sells headlight brackets (if your a naked), and you can either fab something to mount your guages, call svraceshop for brackets, or get a veypor (all if you a naked again).

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
shermans_shazaam said:
I have a 2003/2004 ZX6R front end I am fixin to swap on my '99 SV650. Has anyone done this? If so what is involved? Comments?

This is for my street bike, not racing, and I need to know about headlight mounting, gages, ignition switch, etc, etc...

Any info would be great! 8)

Suzanne
Only heard of the GSXR-750 front end swap. You could be writing book on this new swap so do take detailed notes. And remember this is for posterity sake.

:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys, thanks, but keep them coming.
I have always wanted to write a book.....I'll make sure I take good notes. It is Nakked and 1st gen.

We were going to sell the front end, but after a little talk, I got over the bling bling of the gold forks and decided I might as well swap them out. From what I understand, it's the best frontend.

Now after I get it swapped, I will just have to worry about powder coating the wheels.

Suzanne

·
Registered
744 Posts
A guy on www.socalsvrider.org named Burst did a ZX6R swap onto his bike, and he liked it but said he ended up with some strange steering at higher lean angles.

I think the best front end for a 1gen naked is the SRAD GSXR front end. With that one you get to keep your steering stops and your iginition lock. With just a little custom work you can also mount your gauges nicely:

C

·
0 Posts
zoltan said:
A guy on www.socalsvrider.org named Burst did a ZX6R swap onto his bike, and he liked it but said he ended up with some strange steering at higher lean angles.

I think the best front end for a 1gen naked is the SRAD GSXR front end. With that one you get to keep your steering stops and your iginition lock. With just a little custom work you can also mount your gauges nicely:

I never thought of the fact it would change the ride.

Makes sense.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, the GSXR fork will change the ride as well, but a lot of people run the GSXR front end and what it does to the bike is well understood. The GSXR fork is 19mm shorter than the stock fork, and has less trail and less rake and a different offset. How much less depends on the year fork used, and TWF would be able to give you good numbers. End result is the bike tends tol steer quicker with a GSXR fork. A lot of people go with a 70 front tire along with the new fork, and a 70 is 12mm taller than the stock 60, so front of the bikes only ends up dropping 7mm.

Not many people have done a ZX6R swap, so what, exactly, it will do to the handling isn't really too well understood.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zoltan said:
Not many people have done a ZX6R swap, so what, exactly, it will do to the handling is really too well understood.
Wouldn't this be the handling is really not too well understood?

·
Registered
744 Posts
shermans_shazaam said:
Wouldn't this be the handling is really not too well understood?
Yeah, sorry about that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its ok, I was just confused and I didn't want the blonde roots to start showing....

We have another bed to build and some more research on the stuff need to make the swap. I really don't want my bike down that long and since I can only do little things(oil change, etc) I won't be able to work on the bike during the day. But we should be starting on it in a week or 2 (3 at the latest) and it should be done by the time my boyfriend leaves for Rucker and I trailer it to Kentucky for a week in October. I will keep detailed notes. On doing the swap and how it rides.

I can't wait! I get Red powder coated wheels out of the deal!!!!!!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'd suggest putting together a list of stuff you'll need, that way you'll stand a much greater chance of getting it done in a day.

-ZX6R fork legs, crowns, axle, wheel and calipers
-conversion bearing
-ZX6R top bearing shield and castle nuts
-SV650 lower bearing shield
-SV650 lower bearing (suggested)
-Lockhart Phillips 52mm headlight bracket
-Jim's GSXR speedo conversion kit (suggested) http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=41064.0
-big bottle of brake fluid
-long punch to remove bearing race
-you'll also need parts to attach the SV gauges to the ZX6R front

Another option you might want to look at is using the ZX6R front with SRAD crowns. I believe the legs are the same diameter, and that way you'd get to keep your steering locks and ignition lock.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
No guarantee that the ZX6R yokes are the same width though- if they're not you could have problems putting them in a SRAD yoke.

I did my fit in one day, taking it real slow... But that was working to a very clear plan since I used GSXR bits. SRAD yokes, K2 forks, mudguard and brakes. It works real nice :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok. Got the list. I doubt it will get done in one day, but you never know. She's gonna have bling bling(uck) forks, red powder coated wheels, and some new pipes. I can't wait!!!!!

Thanks guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts