Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey guys,
does doing either the ZX10 or ZX14 shock upgrade interfere with the ABS?
i dont see anythign in this post, but i know i have read soemthing before, not sure if maybe it was year specific.
PS: I have a 2011 SV650A.
jason

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
OP -
Suggested shock settings, per SportRider:
Compression damping: 2.5 turns CCW from fully shut down.
Rebound damping: 1.5 turns CCW from fully shut down.
Spring Preload: 18mm thread showing from the top lock ring.

This is just baseline numbers to start off.
That's about what I run also on my ZX14 shock and I am 240 nekkid as a jay bird and these settings seem pretty good. Works ok 2-up also.

You being 185lbs a ZX14 shock is going to be way on the stiff side.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is the conclusion and resolution to the spring issue I was having. I am posting this for future reference for other users who may be wanting to do the same upgrade but would like to replace the spring:

My other thread which goes through some of the other details of this job is linked here: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2655382#post2655382

I think this post is important because it will allow SV650 owners who want to upgrade their suspension to be able to change out the ZX-14 & ZX-10 shock springs easily and cheaply to better match their weight and riding style, and not have to settle with the ZX factory spring rates.

To recap the other posts I Purchased a ZX-14 shock to upgrade the suspension on my 2003 SV650. I am about 180lb before gear so I wanted to replace the spring because the ZX-14 has a 543lb spring, and for my weight I needed about a 475-500lb spring. I purchased a Hyperco 500lb spring at Christmas with the inner diameter of 2.25'', and 7'' long to replace the factory ZX-14 spring. After I purchased that spring I found out that while one end of the shock takes a 2.25''id spring, the upper end is actually smaller. This creates a problem where the spring is not held in place in the center of the shock, and could cause binding. The original ZX-14 (and ZX-10) shock spring are actually 4mm smaller on the high end to compensate.

NEIMIS helped me with finding a solution to this problem. He found out that RACETECH.com makes a custom conversion collar for putting aftermarket springs on ZX-14/10 shocks. The part number for this collar is SPSC B5855. This collar will allow ANY 2.25''id spring to perfectly fit, and the best part is that it is only $2.99!!

Links:
http://www.racetech.com/
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/137431476/SPSC_SPRING_COLLARS

They mailed me the collar and I got it today and they didn't even charge my for shipping!! I put it on my ZX-14 shock and it fits perfectly. To remove the original ZX-14 spring a motorcycle spring compressor is required. There are relatively cheap, or you can just take it to a dealership. Once that spring has been removed a spring compressor is not needed to put the new 7'' spring back on. There is enough threading on the spring tensioner nuts that they can supply plenty of preload and be let out enough to fully take the spring off and replace it with another 7'' spring if you are going to the track or something. Many of the racing spring options for shocks like these are 7'' for this reason.

I hope this information helps others. I would be happy to answer any questions. Happy riding.

Anyways; here are some pics with small descriptions:

Origional silver ZX-14 shock and spring alongside the new blue 500lb 2.25id 7'' spring.

RACETECH.com custom collar for fitting any 2.25id spring on a ZX-14/ZX-10 shock.

Custom collar fitting into the top of the new spring.

New spring on ZX-14 shock fitting perfectly. (there should be a little play, but not enough for it to slip off center)

Closeup of custom collar fitting over the original threaded collar.

Me working on the bike in my apartment. I hope the banging didn't bother my neighbors! lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the semi-recent grave...

Please try not to flame me but I am having a really hard time making a decision because so many sources have different specs/opinions. I am a big boy, sitting at 250-260 nekkid, and need to do a rear swap on my 07 SV650S asap (do not have bookoo bucks to buy an Ohlins/Penske/Elka). Most of my riding will be commuting to work and school, with some recreational riding on the weekends. I am looking into a zx-14 shock/spring. I went into a local motorcycle shop and they work with RaceTech. The guy we spoke to said he never heard of being able to swap in a zx setup into our bikes and pushed for their G-3S rear. This might have been a sales ploy because I have read countless threads on here about swapping so I know it's possible.

Like I said, sorry if i'm a pain but I want to make sure I am moving ahead with a better plan suitable for me. In short, my questions/confirmation are:

1) Is my weight suitable for a zx-14 or should I look at the zx-10 rears?
2) Would I be ok keeping the spring from the zx?
3) Is it a direct swap with only the removal of the useless black plastic or will I have to cut?

I am already in the process of getting my front ordered. I know what I want, just gotta decide between Sonic or Racetech...then get emulators. Thanks in advance for helping me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oh and one last thing - I've found a few on ebay for ~$100 + shipping. What year(s) should I be looking for and do I need the bolts/linkage as well or do I have to buy a conversion kit?

·
Registered
152 Posts
The guy may be a shop tech, but he may not have ever heard of a ZX swap, I don't think that is unfair. But it is also a marginal sails ploy.

I just installed my ZX, shock and it is a direct swap. You just need to loose that useless black heat sheild thing (I cut mine b/c I couldn't reach the upper screw). You will also need to get yourself a washer or two for the bottom shock bolt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Whoever made that spreadsheet is my new hero. Thanks for reposting it. Looks like I'm getting myself a zx-14 rear shock! Now the spreadsheet says 06-08...but will an 09+ work? I'm assuming that's an older spreadsheet because I don't see anything 09 or newer for any other rear. Then again, we all know what happens when you assume...

Thanks for the tip on the washer. As far as my fronts, I contacted Rich at Sonic Springs and he's helping me get set up for the fronts. I emailed him really late last night and I woke up to a response. That definitely put a smile on my face about his customer support.

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts
Whoever made that spreadsheet is my new hero. Thanks for reposting it. Looks like I'm getting myself a zx-14 rear shock! Now the spreadsheet says 06-08...but will an 09+ work? I'm assuming that's an older spreadsheet because I don't see anything 09 or newer for any other rear. Then again, we all know what happens when you assume...

Thanks for the tip on the washer. As far as my fronts, I contacted Rich at Sonic Springs and he's helping me get set up for the fronts. I emailed him really late last night and I woke up to a response. That definitely put a smile on my face about his customer support.
Rich does right by his current/former/potential customers. Huge +1 to the service he provides.

·
Registered
905 Posts

Yeah, it's probably older.
As for 09 and newer, do some comparisons. Check out images and data for the 06-08 shock, then look at the 09 or newer stuff.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The 09+ fits the same, as that is what I just swapped into my bike. I still have the front end off as I was doing the front springs and ran into some other priorities. I'm assuming it should be more or less the same spring rate. Its not like the big bikes like the Hyabusa/ZX-14 have the same race/development cycles as the 600/1000cc super sports that are significantly changing all the time.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts