Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have done a lot of reading and came to the conclusion that switching my stock shock for a better direct bolt on would be a great improvement. There are many threads on SVRider that talk about the process and reasons behind making this kind of upgrade. I have definitely found all of the information I need to help me make the swap, and I have an 2003 so it should be pretty easy. I have been trying to search through the past archived to find the settings people used before they installed the zx14 shock, but I have not found any settings posts that match my weight.

I am 185 before gear, so add another 10lb and make my total weight 195. I realize that the zx10 would better fit my weight, but the shock was brand new and I got it for the right price ;) Can I get some recommendations on ways I should setup the shock that would complement my weight before I do the instal??

This is a setting I found by a rider who is on the lighter side for this shock. What do you guys think? :headscratch:

Preload: 10 mm of thread showing above lock nut
Compression: 3.5 ccw turns out
Rebound: 2.5 ccw turns out.

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Here's a recommendation from one of the last guys to go with the ZX14:

Put the ZX14 back on Craigslist or eBay, profit from your great deal, and buy a ZX10 or ZX6R shock.

Note, I was ~225lbs when I bought the shock, I regularly rode a 120lbs passenger, and I always had at least 30 lbs of gear and luggage on the bike.

Any actual suspension guru will tell you the same thing. If you called Traxxion Dynamics, RaceTech, or anyone else and asked them the same question they would tell you the same thing. The ZX14R is WAY too oversprung for the SV, even at my weight. At your weight, the ZX14 will actually be WORSE than the stock SV shock. I AM NOT KIDDING.

The spring is too stiff, and the damping is expecting a lot more load for proper usage. The point of a suspension is to always keep the tire on the ground with the exact same amount of downforce no matter what. With a ZX14, you WILL have your tire skip around every time you hit a rock mid corner. The shock will not absorb the bump because there is not enough weight on top of it.

This is not a settings issue; this is a safety issue.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts

Put the ZX14 back on Craigslist or eBay, profit from your great deal, and buy a ZX10 or ZX6R shock.

Note, I was ~225lbs when I bought the shock, I regularly rode a 120lbs passenger, and I always had at least 30 lbs of gear and luggage on the bike.

Any actual suspension guru will tell you the same thing. If you called Traxxion Dynamics, RaceTech, or anyone else and asked them the same question they would tell you the same thing. The ZX14R is WAY too oversprung for the SV, even at my weight. At your weight, the ZX14 will actually be WORSE than the stock SV shock. I AM NOT KIDDING.

The spring is too stiff, and the damping is expecting a lot more load for proper usage. The point of a suspension is to always keep the tire on the ground with the exact same amount of downforce no matter what. With a ZX14, you WILL have your tire skip around every time you hit a rock mid corner. The shock will not absorb the bump because there is not enough weight on top of it.

I'd say that response it a bit extreme. I used the stock shock and felt the back of the bike wallow around under hard cornering; underdamped would be an understatement.

The ZX14 shock is a little oversprung for some, but I've never had the rear end bounce around in a corner or when hitting a rock; certainly not "every time", as it says above. That's purely BS.

What I have noticed is that the bike can now be run more safely at a "sporting" pace without wallowing and other weird gyrations. The guy says that it's a safety issue, I say the stock shock presents more of a safety hazard than a ZX14 shock.

Sure, there are better choices, but the ZX14 shock has been an affordable improvement for me and lots of other people. It's not the best, but it's far better than stock and doesn't cost 1/3 the value of my bike, like some shocks.

If the front suspension doesn't match the rear in spring rate, or come reasonably close, the ZX14 shock will produce head shake and other problems in the front end. But that's a major front suspension tuning issue, not the shock's fault.

I've got 30,000 miles on a ZX14 shock and it's been a big improvement over stock.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I removed the original spring (543 lb-in) from a ZX-14 shock and installed an '08 ZX-10 spring (510 lb-in). The springs are the same length and diameter. Valving adjustment seems fine. I have only ridden this a small amount, but it seems really, really good to me.

I have a Penske triple coming from Zoran soon, so eventually I'll be able to provide a comparison, but in the meantime, it seems damn good.

The spring specs are 7" long, 2.25" I.D., and you would probably want around 500 lb-in, maybe even 475? You can buy Hyperco on eBay, shipped, for $83, or do what I did and buy a complete '08 ZX-10 shock for cheap - there's one right now for $50 + $15 shipping.

EDIT: You should be looking for 32 - 35 mm. rear sag. I don't know if that's going to be possible with your weight and a ZX-14 spring, you might try 0 - 5 mm. of thread showing, and adjust from there.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'd say that response it a bit extreme. I used the stock shock and felt the back of the bike wallow around under hard cornering; underdamped would be an understatement.

The ZX14 shock is a little oversprung for some, but I've never had the rear end bounce around in a corner or when hitting a rock; certainly not "every time", as it says above. That's purely BS.

What I have noticed is that the bike can now be run more safely at a "sporting" pace without wallowing and other weird gyrations. The guy says that it's a safety issue, I say the stock shock presents more of a safety hazard than a ZX14 shock.

Sure, there are better choices, but the ZX14 shock has been an affordable improvement for me and lots of other people. It's not the best, but it's far better than stock and doesn't cost 1/3 the value of my bike, like some shocks.

If the front suspension doesn't match the rear in spring rate, or come reasonably close, the ZX14 shock will produce head shake and other problems in the front end. But that's a major front suspension tuning issue, not the shock's fault.

I've got 30,000 miles on a ZX14 shock and it's been a big improvement over stock.
Agreed. I have 3 years & thousands of miles of pretty aggressive riding on my ZX-14 shock, and I've never had a single issue with "sketch handling" on it. I'm 225 buck naked, 235-240 geared up.

OP -
Suggested shock settings, per SportRider:
Compression damping: 2.5 turns CCW from fully shut down.
Rebound damping: 1.5 turns CCW from fully shut down.
Spring Preload: 18mm thread showing from the top lock ring.

This is just baseline numbers to start off.

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts
Wheeler disagrees. In fact, at 225, he said my zx14 shock needed a stiffer spring!

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts

LOL is all I can say (after thousands of miles on one)

smacks of snobbery

Of course we all wish we have Penske or Ohlins money

·
Registered
44 Posts
Put one on mine. bolts right up and feels amazing had it on for about 2500 miles now and paid less than 100 bucks for it shipped. have had no handling issues weigh about 240 naked so 255 or so geared do a lot of 2-up riding also. couldn't have asked for better for the price and adjustability

·
Banned
855 Posts
I always love these threads because with gear I am about 255lbs which actually makes the zx14 shock reasonable for the sv650. Inevitably someone comes in and says it is too much shock. For me it is perfect. I have more rear wheel hop on the stock shock than on the 636 or the zx14.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Also agree. At 190# I had a ZX14 shock on my SV-N and it was way better than stock. I never had head shake or tire skipping. The bike always felt planted. I also have .90 springs and heavier oil in the forks.

I must admit though that when I took trips, 20+ lbs of gear on the back made the shock feel like a better fit.

OP - If you want to adjust preload, do it BEFORE you install the shock. It is a real pita once it's installed!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reading this thread with interest. So could it be said that for a 130lb rider(w/full gear), the ZX14 shock is oversprung on the SV?
From my research I found that me at 190lb is on the light side for a ZX14 shock. For your weight the stock shock spring rate is just right. That being said, there would be a huge improvement if you swapped your stock SV shock out for a replacement, you could even use a ZX14 shock, but you would need to put a new spring in it that would match your weight. If you did do that would would end up with a much better quality shock that is fully adjustable and sprung from your weight. You would need to commit to replacing the spring because even on a ZX10 you are much to light, and would have a very harsh ride.

According to Penske, a racing stiff shock spring rate for a rider 120-160lb would use a spring at 475lb. Your on the low side of that scale, and you will not be on a race track, so I would suggest a spring rate of <450. The SV stock shock is 430lb (assuming that you have a 2nd gen?), so you can see that the stock spring rate is just right for you.

Here is a link to the Penske shock chart I referred to:

http://www.penskeshocks.com/Motorcycle-Spring_Chart.php

Let me know if you have any other questions...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have sold a pile of zero mile zx14 shocks to heavier sv650 riders. Many of which have contacted me afterwards to say how happy they were with the upgrade. If any body wants a zx14 shock I have some more my email is [email protected] & my cell is 519 402 2453. Thanks, Cory

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I have sold a pile of zero mile zx14 shocks to heavier sv650 riders. Many of which have contacted me afterwards to say how happy they were with the upgrade. If any body wants a zx14 shock I have some more my email is [email protected] & my cell is 519 402 2453. Thanks, Cory
Hey Cory. Got mine off of you as well last Winter when I was doing a full rebuild on my SV.
With gear I am around 240 and with the preload set onn the soft side it is perfect.

To each his own.

·
Banned
855 Posts
Zombie thread. but yes the zx14 shock even just slapped in will feel better in the canyons than the stock shock to the average american, (what is the average wt now for an american, 190?) and to the heavier rider it will feel miles better than stock.

I really want an ohlins and a full racetech revalve/respring on my gsxr 1k front end. Getting the itch for a chuckwalla run.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hey guys,
i am around 200/210 without gear, sounds like the ZX14 should be ok for me, or should i go with a ZX10.
Note i dont ever ride with a passenger, or much gear other than a backpack with my laptop for work.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
hey guys,
i am around 200/210 without gear, sounds like the ZX14 should be ok for me, or should i go with a ZX10.
Note i dont ever ride with a passenger, or much gear other than a backpack with my laptop for work.

thanks in advance
Go for the ZX10, and take it to a suspension shop for tuning if you don't know how to do it yourself. And, honestly, this recommendation is made without the bias shown in my post above.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts