Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I’m back on my SV after using my ZX10 for commuting. A couple of months ago I did a post comparing the two biking experiences(link at the end). After 6000 miles added to the ZX, here are some updates

I’m glad to be off the ZX! Not permanently but I have serious problems with riding it. The bike itself is PHENOMENAL!!! Does what I ask when I ask it. The problem is…me. Since it can do so much, I’ve raised my limits on everything.

I squid(riding, not gearless) way more than I normally do.

Cruising speed is at “license suspension” speeds

Speeding is at “jail time” speed.

Cornering is at, “you better pray gravel is not around the bend”.

It was time to give it a break when a gas tanker crossed the highway blocking both lanes, EASILY an “oh sh1t” moment, but for a second I wondered about doing that motorcycle move in Terminator 3…where it slid, did a 360 and kept moving. SMH

Riding a liter has its fun but it’s not fun. It’s about how fast I can go? Who can I beat? How quick can I get from Philly to Baltimore harbor and daring any cop to give chase. It stopped being about the ride and more about what new limits I can break. For now, the ZX’s riding season is over.

Here are some thoughts
The SV requires more skill to ride over a liter…throttling, clutch control, cornering.

The SV lets me push my limits without pushing THE limit.

Find me a listing of an all around bike that does few things great but most good and I’ll show you an SV sticker on it.

Any liter riders reading this, you’re not indestructible. YOU, need to have a governor, because the liters don’t.

If someone asked me to define an SV, here would be my reply
· Is it a touring bike? Sort of
· Is it a sports bike? Kinda
· Is it a learner bike? Somewhat
· Is it an experience rider’s bike? It can be
· Is it a squidding bike? To some extent
· Is it a canyon runner, a commuter? More or less

Wait! WTF is it? It’s everything you need it to be when you need it to be.

Thanks for reading SV lovers. If any liter rider tells you the SV is not a real bike, tell them to kiss a$$

Disclaimer
This is my personal experience. Please don’t take any of the above as a reference guide for riding techniques or an end all be all for choosing a bike. Your experiences may be different as you may be a better or less accomplished rider or have a better modded bike. Also, I’ve mentioned going some very high speeds on public roads. Unfortunately, on the ZX, I gave the riding community a bad name. This isn’t a good rider/bad rider thread but you’re free to post your objections of course

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156566

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Being a citizen of this country does give you the right to free speech. This however, does not make what is said any more worthwhile.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I have a zx10 so I know the differences first hand. Thing is, I ride to get around. My days of being a nut and looking for new limits are long gone when I was in my early 20's. Ever see those guys that just cruise along in a lambo, same thing. I know what the bike can do. Got it at an extremely low price so when I ride it, it's just to get around. It'll probably go back to stock(has an LSL Handbar kit) and sell it next year if I get a good offer.

·
Registered
661 Posts
After riding an '07 R1 for a while I can certainly relate. I thought my SV1000 was strong, but the R1 motor made it seem like a toy. It is amazing any inexperienced noob can plunk down a few grand and get a liter bike without any proper training. Modern liter bikes are absolutely ridiculous for what they can do and how easily they can do it. However, every motorcycle enthusiast owes it themself to own a modern liter sport bike for a little bit, just to get a taste.

After the novelty wore off, the R1 was just like any other bike I've owned. I had fairly good self-control although the pow-ahh was there whenever I needed it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
So you prefer the SV because you lack self control?
^ I assume that's for the OP.

For street use I tend to agree with the OP too. Liter bikes can very easily be too much. With stock gearing you're doing 100+mph in 1st gear. It is VERY tempting to gas it from a clear stop light and without much effort you are doing triple digits.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ I assume that's for the OP.

For street use I tend to agree with the OP too. Liter bikes can very easily be too much. With stock gearing you're doing 100+mph in 1st gear. It is VERY tempting to gas it from a clear stop light and without much effort you are doing triple digits.
Yup. I found the capabilities of the bike had me taking unnecessary risks. Stuff I would do on an SV but knew I could pull off because the bike was capable.

I'll still ride it...just taking a break to get my perspectives in order.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being a citizen of this country does give you the right to free speech. This however, does not make what is said any more worthwhile.
I would say you're comment is equally worthless, in my eyes, but I'll accept your criticism with some humility. Thanks for reading anyway

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After riding an '07 R1 for a while I can certainly relate. I thought my SV1000 was strong, but the R1 motor made it seem like a toy. It is amazing any inexperienced noob can plunk down a few grand and get a liter bike without any proper training. Modern liter bikes are absolutely ridiculous for what they can do and how easily they can do it. However, every motorcycle enthusiast owes it themself to own a modern liter sport bike for a little bit, just to get a taste.

After the novelty wore off, the R1 was just like any other bike I've owned. I had fairly good self-control although the pow-ahh was there whenever I needed it.
Yeah the power is definitely there. The novelty is still very much there. I'm just realizing the unecessary(ness) of needing something with such insane power. It's like riding a hummer in the city. Completely out of place.

Love the bike though!!!

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Yeah the power is definitely there. The novelty is still very much there. I'm just realizing the unecessary(ness) of needing something with such insane power. It's like riding a hummer in the city. Completely out of place.

Love the bike though!!!

Unless you're in a Hummer limo, of course. Which I guess is why so many people stretch and lower ZX10s and Busa's?

Also, check out the multiquote button, please :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was pretty damn succinct...

Take the ZX10 to the track dude. You'll have plenty of fun there.
Terse but insufficient in describing the fullness of the post...sort of like picking a single scripture from the bible and laying claim to some absurd notion through lack of contextual fullness.

I'd take the sv first. If I dropped it I'd be pissed beyond reason

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unless you're in a Hummer limo, of course. Which I guess is why so many people stretch and lower ZX10s and Busa's?

Also, check out the multiquote button, please :)
Lol yeah. The mobile app doesn't have one...I'd surely use it if it did

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is exactly my issue with literbikes. They're not fun to ride at 2/10ths, and anything more than 2/10ths is breaking the law.
Yup. A 100 in first gear! What are you suppose to do with gears 2-6?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Yup. A 100 in first gear! What are you suppose to do with gears 2-6?

Reminds me of the Baron von Grumble video in the MC Fail Video thread. He breaks his shifter, but he's on a GSXR1000. I'm thinking, dude, you don't even need to shift to make it back home...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reminds me of the Baron von Grumble video in the MC Fail Video thread. He breaks his shifter, but he's on a GSXR1000. I'm thinking, dude, you don't even need to shift to make it back home...
That's true. Even under harsh riding I'm only seeing 3rd, 4th at best.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
This is exactly my issue with literbikes. They're not fun to ride at 2/10ths, and anything more than 2/10ths is breaking the law.
I second that! I LOVE my SV, but just cruising and barely hitting throttle to pass someone, I am creeping up on 100mph like it's no big deal. And that's on my SV1000!!

I can't fathom riding a Super Sport liter bike.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts