Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off my I am doing this build thread for my dad. The bike is basically done now but i will try to retell the story of his 04 SV. Here it is...

I bought my dad an SV650 for Christmas/birthday in 2006. He is the reason I got into riding so it feels good to be able to return the favor. He had a Blue 2004 SV650 but when it got hit in a parking lot he traded it in on his 2005 KLR650. He had always said it was one of the best bikes he's owned and I think he's had about 18 so that says something. It is something that we will both remember forever and i can't think of anything more special that i could do for my dad.

When the bike came home it was completely stock. It even still had the warning stickers on it.

I had also started to collect parts for the new toy including the oem rear seat sowl, colour matched watsen design signals, motrax barend mirrors, race tech fork springs and a couple other small things.

At the time i still had my rashed up holeshot so we test fitted it to see how the black can would look. He knew he wanted a holeshot highmount but was unsure or which colour.

Next it was time to rebuild the front forks. We went with 15 wt oil and race tech springs.

It wasn't long before we pulled the front end off again to install tapered roller bearings and paint the triple clamps black.

Next was one of the most important mods...SVR stickers

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since dad needed something to open on christmas day there was a new black holeshot highmount and holeshot fe under the tree. He also bought the clear alternatives tail light so that we could install it at the same time we did the fender eliminator.

Over that winter we also had the wheels powdercoated a gloss white. I think its really sets off the bike altho they are a pain in the @$$ to keep clean.

Another important performance upgrade...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a couple pics from the bike's first SV rally and first trip to the dragon.

While we were at the rally Dustin installed pilot powers on both or SV's. New tires made a HUGE difference.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For christmas 07 I gave my dad a set of pazzo's and new footpegs. They were installed christmas day before family came over...

Over that winter we also installed some dominator duals and a gsxr 1000 rear shock and ditched the oem sliders for some motosliders.

It was time to get some nice shots of the bike so we took it to the other side of town and did a little photo shoot...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its that time again...RALLY time

My dad needed that finishing touch of his bike. Since my parents already gave me a custom plate "ZUKIS" for my yellow bike, this only seemed fitting.

After trying the NOS we decide that a turbo might be a better idea... Might Mouse was in Canada visiting so he helped with the install...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2009 Rally

Dad riding the next bike on his wish list

For christmas 09 Mel (my gf) and I gave Dad some new protaper bars and fat bar clamps. He had a set of spiegler lines with blue fittings (custom length) to replace the galfers that were on the bike. We installed these at the same time as the new bars.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well thats pretty much the whole story. I know there is some things that i missed but here is a complete list of mods the way the bike sits right now...

Suzuki solo seat cowl
Powdercoated rims white
Dominator dual headlights
Pro taper mini hi fat bars
Pro taper fat ber clamps
Pazzo levers
Sargent seat
Holeshot fender eliminator
Clear Alternative taillights
Watsen Design LED’s
Motrax barend mirrors
Targa exhaust heat shield
Motosliders and spools
R6 throttle tube
Driven grips
Pro grip tank pad
Lockhart Philips valve stem caps
Paint triple clamps black
Paint headlight mounts black
Remove passenger foot pegs
Remove all reflectors and warning stickers
Spiegler brake lines
Maxima 15wt. fork oil
switched back to stock fork springs with different spacers
GSXR 1000 rear shock
Michelin Pilot Powers
All Balls tapered roller bearings
Holeshot black high mount
Pair valve

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its been a long time since I updated this. There isn't anything major but there is some small stuff that worth mentioning. So let's do this.

First...
A few months ago I took the plastic from my uncle's 07 SVS and put them on my dad's SV to see how the silver frame looked with the deep red plastics. I think it looked pretty darn good.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said that was just to see how it looked. So its back to blue...for now anyway.

So since the last real update here are few things that have changed.

Probably the biggest upgrade was that we had the gsxr1000 shock resprung with an Ohlins spring for my dad's weight. The stock gsxr spring was a little stiff.

Since dad now uses the SV as his "play" bike he got rid of the sargent seat and went back to the stock one. The Sargent was thinner (lower) than the stock one so there wasn't as much leg room between the seat and the pegs. This proved to be more of a issue than the stock seat.

So after I did the side mount ignition on the white bike, Dad liked the idea, so we did it on his. He also got a little black billet oil cap.

He also put a spiegler line on the back of the bike.

The bike also now has new sunstar sprockets and a DID gold chain. For now the bike is still 15/45 gearing but he wants to try 15/47 next time. We'll see how that goes....I think the front will become VERY light under hard acceleration. Dad also cut back the chain guard a little bit. I think it looks better.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So another thing we have been trying to figure out is what bars best suit my dad. Here is the list of bars that he has tried.

1. Stock bars
2. Superbike bars
3. Pro Taper Contour Mini Hi bars
4. Pro Taper CR Hi bars
5. Rizoma fat bars
Out of these, the best was the PT mini hi bars but there wasn't enough sweep for him. So today I installed a set of Rizoma fat bars for him. I rode the bike for a little while and they feel great. Dad hasn't had a chance to ride it yet but he did sit on it and said that it felt much better than any of the other bars he has tried.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So there are still a few little things that we have planned for the bike. One of those is to lower the gauges again so there is less space between the headlights and the gauges. Anyway here are some pics from about an hour ago and a up to date complete list of mods.

Custom license plate
Suzuki solo seat cowl
Powdercoated rims white
Dominator dual headlights
Rizoma black fat bars
Pro taper fat ber clamps
Pazzo levers
Holeshot fender eliminator
Clear Alternative taillights
Watsen Design LED’s
Billet oil cap
Side mount ugnition
Ebay barend mirrors
Targa exhaust heat shield
Motosliders and spools
R6 throttle tube
Ebay foot pegs
Driven grips
Pro grip tank pad
Lockhart Philips valve stem caps
Painted triple clamps black
Painted headlight mounts black
Remove passenger foot pegs
Remove all reflectors and warning stickers
Spiegler brake lines (clear lines, blue fittings up front)
Maxima 15wt. fork oil
switched back to stock fork springs with different spacers
GSXR 1000 rear shock with Ohlins spring
Michelin Pilot Powers
All Balls tapered roller bearings
Holeshot black high mount
Pair valve
Steve's ATRE
15/45 sunstar sprockets with gold DID chain

I may have missed something but I believe that it for now. On with the pics....

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well we thought there was only a couple little things left for this bike but after some convincing, we have some new plans. This will be a decent size mod session. It will include the following...

- GSXR front end
- New Spiegler rear brake line
- Van's billet rear brake res.
- New barnett clutch

I think that's it for now but we'll see what happens once we get going on it. I have a couple other ideas but we'll see what dad thinks ;) We have ordered a bunch of parts and once they start showing up I will post some pics.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I went up to my partents place so I took up a couple more parts for dad's bike. Hopefully some of the big stuff shows up this week so maybe next weekend we can get started. I also took up the front pitbull stand. Note the new pitbull rear stand, that's what Melanie and I gave him for Christmas. Here she is ready for the work to begin.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright well we have most of the parts now for the front end. We still need the fender, new spiegler lines, new pazzo brake lever and some misc. hardware and the speedo sensor. Here are some pics of what we have so far...

08 GSXR 600 forks

08 GSXR 600 calipers and master, rizoma brake fluid reservoir and woodcraft brake res mounting bracket

07 GSXR 750 wheel, rotors, and pilot power tire (lots of life left in tire)

06 GSXR 1000 top triple, 07 750 axel, stainless t-bolt clamps for the headlight brackets, 07 600 damper (may or may not use this)

Van's billet rear brake res.

This week I am going to order the new Pazzo lever, some misc hardware and try to find a front fender. We are going to get the front wheel powder coated white. The top triple will be drilled out for the handel bar risers and we will remove the ignition mount since the ignition is already on the side of the bike.

That's it for now...stay tuned:vroom:

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the new Pazzo levers and some hardware for the front end. Hoping to get the front wheel powdercoated this week...maybe.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the tires are removed for powder. I still need to pull the wheel bearing and remove the rotors.
I have a front fender on the way thanks to Nudist, so once that shows up I can take it to paint.
Stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was up at my parent's place today and Dad and I got some more work done. We removed the complete stock front end. We didn't get a chance to actually weigh them yet but the GSXR forks/triples/axel are lighter than the SV forks/triples/axel.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back at my parents place again today to get some more work done.

We started by replacing the steering head bearings. Once the new bearings were in, we installed the new triple clamps. My dad had already ground off the casting marks on the lower triple and painted it black. The top triple is on right now just to test fit but it will be coming off again so that we can remove the ignition mount, drill it out for the handle bar risers and paint it black to match the bottom one.
We were also able to get the measurements for the custom Spiegler lines that I will be ordering this week. Other goals for this week are to get some parts to powder coat and hopefully the front fender shows up so that I can get it off to paint. Anyway enough rambling here are the pics.

New triples in...

New legs...sexy!

And the calipers and axle...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's been a while so here is an update. There has been some hiccups in the last little while but that's why we do this stuff in the winter. Anyway here we go.

First off we ordered and received the custom Spiegler lines. Stock SV rear line, clear with blue fittings. Custom length GSXR lines, clear with blue fittings.

Now the wheels. So finally the bearings are out of the wheels. A friend of mine bought a bearing puller on the weekend so he pulled them out for me. Next step was to remove the rotors, simple right? WRONG. The front rotors came off as they should. When I went to pull off the rear rotor one of the bolts broke. &*$%^* I tried what I could to get it out but no such luck so tomorrow I am taking it to Dan (my tire guy and wheel guy) and he is going to take care of it. I really hope this doesn't turn into a bigger problem.

Next the front fender. So the fender showed up last week from Nudist. I took it to paint last week to get it colour matched to the original. They called me today with an issue so I went over to check it out. The issue....it doesn't match. They said they got the right code but it is darker than the stock fender. They are redoing it and all I can hope for is that the next attempt is successful.

Left SV fender, Right new GSXR fender

I am really hoping that by the end of the week the broken bolt is out of the back wheel, the wheels are off to powdercoat and the fender paint issue is resolved. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Please to announce some positive progress.

First the rear wheel. Dan has taken a look at the wheel and says he can fix it. Great should have that early this week.

Front fender paint. So the first place was no able to match the colour after several attempts. Now having said that they also have great customer service and didn't charge me for any of it, paint or labor. I have been in contact with a guy that does bikes all the time and is confident that he can match the colour no problem. So stay tuned for that update...fingers crossed!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts