Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its that time swapped out my my tires from 160 Conti Road Attack to 160 Dunlop Road Smart! I was going to buy another Road Attack but I found out $10 more bux and I can have 2ct. I think I paid about 125 for rear which is pretty good. As you can see me am happy for the tire to arrive!

I got about 14k out of my Conti Road Attacks, the RA's did a very good job, I still have the front one on, should be good for another 5k. My previous tire before the RA's was a {170}PP, the PP's were more sticky & quicker warm up then the RA's. But I only got 9-10k out of the PP. Anywho back to the RoadSmart!

-= getting wet! =-

I must say the RoadSmart is the tire for the SportTour'er, you can feel the tread grip the ground pretty darn good. This tire in the wet is the most solid I have felt. I found the Conti Road Attacks had a fault in the rain, I could break traction fairly easy with a blip of the throttle, I think this is due to the cool tread pattern they went with. The RoadSmart took a degree more punishment before breaking traction (well you shouldn't be blimping the throttle in the rain but its a good indicator ), thus being said I feel more confident on this tire to ride a considerable distance in the rain. (commuting 125miles between classes).

-= On to the Compound! =-

Me el tango super likey! Took me a few miles to get use to the change of compound when entering a corner. I like to down shift incorrectly and kick my back end out when entering this gives me a good sense of speed and which gear I have to ride out the corner ( I know, I know this not a good practice ).
The center of the tire is a hard compound, from what I can gather its almost the same D220 but alittle more reactive, warms up alot quicker, and won't kill you as fast *shakes fist at D220*. This is good for all of you that ride 100miles every other day.
Getting sideways I notice some good rubber. I would describe this compound to match the Pilot Powers, its hard to describe the sides of this tire. On the Pilot Powers I was able to tack up the sides pretty good, but on the RoadSmart the tacking does not take place, but I still have plenty of grip! On the Conti Road Attack I was able to be at full tilt, blimp the throttle and kick the back end out, a sign of loosing traction. On the RoadSmart I can not get the back end to kick out do to the side compound (and fear of small babies, and my own safety. Will save that for the track).

Center = [ almost like D220, but better all around ]
Sides = [ only way I can explain it would on par with Pilot Powers, but Dunlop Style ]

[ freshly mounted, time to jump on ]

You can see where the compound changes [ this pic is 4k miles on the tire, I'm going to get a crap load of miles out of this one :thumbsup: ]

[ Just got my DL650 Guards on, thanks to ASC ]

And alittle tire pr0n -> http://home.comcast.net/~zerospawn/roadsmart/Image224.jpg

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
You sir, just made up my mind on which tires to get next. I was gonna go with the BT021s but with 14k on the Roadsmarts, I can't pass 'em up. I've got 12k on the D220s and would like to try something different.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
with 14k on the Roadsmarts, I can't pass 'em up. I've got 12k on the D220s and would like to try something different.
14k were on my prev Conti Road attacks, but from what I'm experiencing right now on the RoadSmarts I will get 14k+ easy. I weight about 125lbs so mileage will differ.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Oh yeah I think I'm gonna put these on when the Diablos wear out. I was really hoping that Metzeler/Pirelli would have come out with a dual compound tire this year but the Metzeler Z6 Interact isn't and Pirelli hasn't replaced the Strada yet. I'd have like an improved Z6 interact center with an M3 side wall or Strada center with a Rossa/Diablo sidewall.

So if the Road Smart is an improved D220 center with a Qualifier/D208 side it should be worth while.

:)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Oh yeah I think I'm gonna put these on when the Diablos wear out. I was really hoping that Metzeler/Pirelli would have come out with a dual compound tire this year but the Metzeler Z6 Interact isn't and Pirelli hasn't replaced the Strada yet. I'd have like an improved Z6 interact center with an M3 side wall or Strada center with a Rossa/Diablo sidewall.

So if the Road Smart is an improved D220 center with a Qualifier/D208 side it should be worth while.

:)
Nexus...

I replaced a 2nd set of Diablo Strada's with the roadsmarts on my FZ6. The Strada's were the best sport touring tire I had ever used on this bike prior (I run Pilot Powers on my SV, as I dont use it for touring).

That was before the Roadsmarts. While it's not to be confused with a true "sport" tire, these are the best touring tires I have ever ridden on.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ok how the hell do you guys get this mileage out of these tires :dontknow: I only can get 5k out of a PP and so far seems like not much more out of the RA I have on now. I check my tire pressure ~twice a week and it never changes more than a pound, and if I forget and go over a week its never more than 3. I commute on the highway 24mi each way and have a pretty nice flat spot and I was attributing my bad mileage to that.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I ran Roadsmarts this season. After 12000kms the front will need replacing sometime soon. The rear is still quite good.
They are great in rain, and when pushed, will really hold a lean in a corner. I only managed to really slide the rear once, and only did this because I had to take a bunch of weight off the front in a hurry, while leaned way over. I probably slid the rear 10"-14" out and it recovered right away (50 mph tight curve). No drama really, considering the circumstances.
That said, I just ordered a set of Pilot Power 2CT's for next season. I don't anticipate very much mileage from them, but am interested in pushin a little more in the curves. Time will tell!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice review! I might look into them next season...
Thanks! I knew people would have some inquiring thoughts about this tire, so I decided to share my experience with SV freaks!

xj750guy thanks for the added input! I would not dare push that hard in the rain, but its good to have you do it for us :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just so everybody doesn't take it wrong. The whole "drifty-slide" episode happened on a beautiful stretch of mountain road (dry) about 6 weeks ago, after the tires were well worn in (10,000 kms). I was holding an inside line on a tight right-hander and at the last moment noticed a "dip" in the pavement. I was already commited to the line, so I rolled on throttle to unload the front a bit. When I hit the dip the bike was asking a bit too much of the rear than it had left to give.
That said, they are amazing in the rain. After my first 3 days of continuous rain riding I was comfortable leaning almost as far as in the dry. Throttle inputs had to be used with respect and smoothness, of course, but the tires were awesome.

Can't wait to try the Pilot Power 2ct!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Just be advised: They work great in rain, they have awesome warm weather traction, but they really need to be warmed up well for cool/cold weather riding. They slide like wet snot when they are cold.
Thats a problem (not necc. a "problem") that Dunlops and Conti's have always had compared to Bridgestone / Michelin. Hmm, thats what always amazed me about the Road2's is that they seemed to get up to temp as quick as a SS tire.....

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ok how the hell do you guys get this mileage out of these tires :dontknow: I only can get 5k out of a PP and so far seems like not much more out of the RA I have on now. I check my tire pressure ~twice a week and it never changes more than a pound, and if I forget and go over a week its never more than 3. I commute on the highway 24mi each way and have a pretty nice flat spot and I was attributing my bad mileage to that.
Well for one he says he only weighs 125lb. that could help out the mileage considerably.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.