Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Zero's WD-40 Research!

5K views 54 replies 31 participants last post by  rotatingmass 
#1 ·
//*Sorry I did not take Pic's of my results*

// I have been questioning the myth of WD-40 being bad for a chain, so me being my ignorant self had to run some trials.

Chain 1
Only used chain wax to take care of chain Every 2k miles. It was dirty and some rust, but lasted about 20k miles with
no kinks.

Chain 2
I used WD-40 (sprayed directly on the chain) wiped off and applied chain lube. Every 300-400miles. Chain looked shiny as all hell, but ending the chain at about 12-14k with
8+ kinks.

Chain 3
Used nothing but Teflon to clean chain, and chain lube to lubricate.
Kinks are not present.

//In my research I found that it is true that WD-40 will seep into the O-Rings and dissolve the grease that is factory injected, causing them to lock up.

//Just wanted to post this up for people that like me that did not want to listen to the people that already knew this ;). I will miss how well WD-40 cleans the chain tho.

//Good morrow.

See less See more
#14 · (Edited)
Kero, Brake parts cleaner, BELRAY...

I tried that DuPont teflon spray and I did not like it for chain use.

So thin I don't know how some people just use that extrictly to lube their chain.

As a matter of fact, I don't like it for anything, I tried to use DuPont teflon lube on my trailer gate pins and it made matters even worse.

After trying so many different stuff for chain lube, I have finally found something that I love because it works well, it lubes well, it protects, it last and no mess either, BELRAY.

With regard cleaning the chain, Kerosen works well but I don't have a way to pressurize it so that I can blow away all the stubburn particles here is what I do...

1. Kerosen wash to loosen everything up.
2. Brake part cleaner ( dry pressurized solvent ) to blow away all recidues.
3. Wipe everything clean and dry.
4. Nice coat of BELRAY lubricant and let it seat over night.

#25 ·
Nope after the OEM I bought the DID 525 chain 2 & 3.

Interesting, do you prefer the Teflon to clean the chain over kerosene?
I would assume both would work, just your weapon of choice. I have not got around to picking up kerosene.

The Super Clean is the white version. It works great. I've never actually cleaned my chain in 4,000 miles because it just doesn't build up gunk.
+69 I too use the same lube :thumbsup:
Sorry, but that is not at all conclusive.
So Sorry. Good rebuttal tho.

#6 ·
I say do whatever works for you. With the WD-40 cleaning followed by chain lube, I put on over 20,000 miles on my Speed Triple's chain. I probably could have got a few more thousand miles out of it but I needed a blingy chain and rear sprocket.

Uh oh....a chain lube thread. :p

#17 ·
There's a nice little one-page article in the present issue of Wired about what's in WD-40.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-05/st_whatsinside
Not sure why all this anti spirit towards WD-40....

WD-40 might not be good for o-ring chains, but it is the best thing out there on everything else that is meant to be used on...

I have tried all kinds stuff before trying to find a cheaper alternative to WD40 but nothing works as good, so it is some kind of magical sauce...

The only thing that gives it a good run for its money is PB Blaster but then again, that is a different kind of thing, PB is more of a penetrating agent while WD40 is more of a lubricating agent.

I love WD40... It just works!

#19 ·
I used Bel-Ray last time too, but I ended up with a mess to clean off my wheel... The stuff I have is brown in color, but I understand they make some white colored stuff which is (supposedly?) better. Do I just need to let the lube set up longer? (I let it sit about 30 minutes in hot weather) I tried my best to use very little lube, but it comes out of the can quickly even with a light touch.

#20 ·
I've been using the Dupont Lube for about 2 years and I've been impressed, very little fling on the back wheel or anywhere else and the lube seems to hold up well between applications. My OEM chain is now closing in on 23,000 miles and should go even more.:thumbsup:

#27 ·
pressurized kerosene ...the folks at webbike world seemed to like it.

I've been using honda teflon chain lube for a while. I just finished up my last can, and I'll be buying the dupont teflon spray which is supposed to be the same crap.

I use wd40 to clean my chains, but I use a rag to apply it , so the chains not soaking in it or anything.

#35 ·
I've been using honda teflon chain lube for a while. I just finished up my last can, and I'll be buying the dupont teflon spray which is supposed to be the same crap.

I use wd40 to clean my chains, but I use a rag to apply it , so the chain's not soaking in it or anything.
Are you sure we're not related? That is EXACTLY how I clean my chain too! What is even creepier is that I used to use the Honda Chain Wax exclusively until I couldn't get it anymore, and then switched to the DuPont Teflon spray. Weird.

#37 ·
Simple green is great for a many things!

But after reading this and all this about penetrating & all, would simple green do the same as wd40 does on o-rings?

Im coming up on my first cleaning/lube so im reading this to learn what & what NOT to do lol

#38 ·
Simple Green is fine for cleaning, just rinse it off as soon as you're done. It's mild acid and will eat the chain if you leave it on. Honestly though it can't compete with kerosene or WD40 for cleaning, they go right through the gunk.

#39 ·
i clean every metal part of my bike with GUNK gel degreaser at a coin operated high pressure car wash. spray it on, let it sit for a couple minutes while i get quarters to pump in the machine then blast it off. then ride home 6th gear pinned to blow dry the bike and upon arrival commence with detailing/chain lube. its almost effortless.

#43 ·
Shiit I had a bad feeling when I was using bra kleen to clean my chain... Won't do that again. I use the PJ1 black label chain lube.. I like it except when it gets anywhere other than on my chain.... yuck. Do any of you have the cable lube tool? metal clamp with rubber that holds the cable while you shoot cable lube in it? That things a pain the lube always just shoots outta the top... Sorry to thread jack just curious.

Ed

#52 ·
On my last bike, a '99 ZRX1100 I rode 50K miles, and on my current two bikes, ZX10R with 30K miles and SV650 with 21K miles, I have switched the OEM chains & sprockets when the OEMs wore out, usually around 12-14K miles. After talking to others in several local groups I ride in and observing what the used and how long the lasted I made the switch to DID ZVM2 chains only. I always replace the sprockets when I replace the chain. I used Maxima Chain wax exclusively for 7-8 years. After using spray brake cleaner for a few years I got nervous about the strength of the brake cleaner and what it was doing to the O-Rings I stopped using it and used Chain Wax to clean with. I averaged 20-21K from a chain and sprocket set using these products and methods.
Recently I switched to Dupont Teflon Multi Use dry wax lubricant after a local club member who does a lot of sport touring on a VFR800 Honda recommend it. He rides about 20K miles a year on the same bike and he bought the bike new. I have only been using it for a year so the jury is still out but so far so good. The Dupont lube is available at Lowe's Hardware stores for $4.98. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=213197-39963-D00110101&lpage=none

#53 ·
After talking to others in several local groups I ride in and observing what the used and how long the lasted I made the switch to DID ZVM2 chains only. I always replace the sprockets when I replace the chain. I used Maxima Chain wax exclusively for 7-8 years. After using spray brake cleaner for a few years I got nervous about the strength of the brake cleaner and what it was doing to the O-Rings I stopped using it and used Chain Wax to clean with. I averaged 20-21K from a chain and sprocket set using these products and methods.
Awesome information :thumbsup:. Thank you posting your findings.

Question what does the ZVM2 stand for, is this some new space-age chain of some sort? I'm in the market in getting new chain and I have not heard of this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.