Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
//*Sorry I did not take Pic's of my results*

// I have been questioning the myth of WD-40 being bad for a chain, so me being my ignorant self had to run some trials.

Chain 1
Only used chain wax to take care of chain Every 2k miles. It was dirty and some rust, but lasted about 20k miles with
no kinks.

Chain 2
I used WD-40 (sprayed directly on the chain) wiped off and applied chain lube. Every 300-400miles. Chain looked shiny as all hell, but ending the chain at about 12-14k with
8+ kinks.

Chain 3
Used nothing but Teflon to clean chain, and chain lube to lubricate.
Kinks are not present.

//In my research I found that it is true that WD-40 will seep into the O-Rings and dissolve the grease that is factory injected, causing them to lock up.

//Just wanted to post this up for people that like me that did not want to listen to the people that already knew this ;). I will miss how well WD-40 cleans the chain tho.

//Good morrow.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I say do whatever works for you. With the WD-40 cleaning followed by chain lube, I put on over 20,000 miles on my Speed Triple's chain. I probably could have got a few more thousand miles out of it but I needed a blingy chain and rear sprocket.

Uh oh....a chain lube thread. :p

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kero, Brake parts cleaner, BELRAY...

What teflon cleaner did you use?
I tried that DuPont teflon spray and I did not like it for chain use.

So thin I don't know how some people just use that extrictly to lube their chain.

As a matter of fact, I don't like it for anything, I tried to use DuPont teflon lube on my trailer gate pins and it made matters even worse.

After trying so many different stuff for chain lube, I have finally found something that I love because it works well, it lubes well, it protects, it last and no mess either, BELRAY.

With regard cleaning the chain, Kerosen works well but I don't have a way to pressurize it so that I can blow away all the stubburn particles here is what I do...

1. Kerosen wash to loosen everything up.
2. Brake part cleaner ( dry pressurized solvent ) to blow away all recidues.
3. Wipe everything clean and dry.
4. Nice coat of BELRAY lubricant and let it seat over night.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: Kero, Brake parts cleaner, BELRAY...

2. Brake part cleaner ( dry pressurire solvent ) to blow away all recidues.
Ouch,

You know most brake cleaner is tetrachloroethene, trichloroethene, or some other blend of chlorinated solvents? That is exactly what the chain manufacturers tell you NOT to use on an o-ring/x-ring chain. It will ruin them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There's a nice little one-page article in the present issue of Wired about what's in WD-40.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/17-05/st_whatsinside
Not sure why all this anti spirit towards WD-40....

WD-40 might not be good for o-ring chains, but it is the best thing out there on everything else that is meant to be used on...

I have tried all kinds stuff before trying to find a cheaper alternative to WD40 but nothing works as good, so it is some kind of magical sauce...

The only thing that gives it a good run for its money is PB Blaster but then again, that is a different kind of thing, PB is more of a penetrating agent while WD40 is more of a lubricating agent.

I love WD40... It just works!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Re: Kero, Brake parts cleaner, BELRAY...

I tried that DuPont teflon spray and I did not like it for chain use.

So thin I don't know how some people just use that extrictly to lube their chain.

As a matter of fact, I don't like it for anything, I tried to use DuPont teflon lube on my trailer gate pins and it made matters even worse.

After trying so many different stuff for chain lube, I have finally found something that I love because it works well, it lubes well, it protects, it last and no mess either, BELRAY.
I use the Dupont spray, it works terrific on my boots on the plastic ankle joints that used to squeek. It is really a dry lube, so the thin carrier liquid evaporates and leaves a slick film. It worked well as a cable lube also.

Belray goes on my chain too, good stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used Bel-Ray last time too, but I ended up with a mess to clean off my wheel... The stuff I have is brown in color, but I understand they make some white colored stuff which is (supposedly?) better. Do I just need to let the lube set up longer? (I let it sit about 30 minutes in hot weather) I tried my best to use very little lube, but it comes out of the can quickly even with a light touch.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've been using the Dupont Lube for about 2 years and I've been impressed, very little fling on the back wheel or anywhere else and the lube seems to hold up well between applications. My OEM chain is now closing in on 23,000 miles and should go even more.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts