Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 99 SV 2 months ago with 19.5 k on the clock, it now has 20,500 on it and I figured I would check the valves. Rear cylinder intakes were both at 4 thou, and left ex was at 8 thou, while right ex was at 7 thou. So i assumed that the front cylinder would be fine as well, glad I decided to check it.

Front cyl - left ex was 7 thou, right ex was 8 thou. Then I TRIED to check the intakes, the smallest feeler gauge I had was a 2 thou, and it would not slide under either intake cam lobe. I could not even get it 1/8 inch under the lobe, and the 2 thou is almost as flimsy as paper, so it got bent all out of shape with me trying to stuff it under there.

At first I figured I did something wrong, so I went and did all the steps over again, and got the same ex measurements, and still nothing on the intakes.. there is no possible way to screw up that bad is there?

Tomorrow, I am going to try and put aluminum foil in there for measure, doubled over, the foil measures 1 thou. Has anyone else heard of this kind of thing happening? I have yet to tear the cam out, but when I do, I will post up the shim size and see whats what.

I have no previous history on this bike at all, it runs up to 125mph, idles fine, gets 40-48 mpg, it runs great, except that it is a PITA to start when it is cold, it only runs on one cylinder for a little bit. I hear that is sometimes a symptom of valves being out of spec, either that or its just my stock jetting.

·
Registered
204 Posts
shim under/over bucket motors get tighter as they wear unlike say an old ATC motor with screw and locknut. the valves slam closed and slowly push their way into the head. it natural. you can try to play musical shims (which you may have to any way to get an accurate measure) if things are too tight (like less than 0) the valves may actually be slightly open.
youre gonna have to put in a smaller shim and remeasure. when you finally replace the shims in any or all cyl. make sure you spec them toward the big side of the scale. clearances only tighten

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
did you do the check with the engine stone cold (overnite)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it was stone cold. I had ran it the day before. But, just to rule that out I will check it again today before I tear out the cams and see what shims I have in there. Thanks for the quick replies already!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts