Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SV650X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I just purchased a Yoyodyne slipper clutch (regular version, not the race version) for my 2019 SV650X. Looking over the instructions, something has me a little confused. The instructions on the Yoyodyne website say:

"This slipper clutch is designed for using original clutch plates. Install all original clutch plates in same position as before ( mark plates by remounting ). Install a normal width friction plate first, then the narrow friction plate with 2 thin rings. After that install the remaining clutch plates as normal."

On the other hand, the Suzuki bike shop manual specifies that you install the wave washer seat and the wave washer (what Yoyodyne instructions seem to be calling "2 thin rings") onto the clutch sleeve hub first, then the narrow friction plate (which the Suzuki manual calls "drive plate no.2"), followed by a driven plate, followed by a normal width friction plate (which the Suzuki manual calls "drive plate no.1").

The reason the Yoyodyne instructions seem contradictory is that they first say "Install all original clutch plates in same position as before," but then they say "install a normal width friction plate first" which is not the original order per the shop manual.

Has anyone installed the Yoyodyne slipper on a 3rd gen? If so, what order did you install the plates, wave washer, and wave washer seat?

I am attaching two screen captures of the shop manual for reference as well as a link to the Yoyodyne instructions for comparison.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Tread Rim
Triangle Font Parallel Rectangle Symmetry

·
Registered
2019 SV650X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a follow up in case anyone has this question in the future. I called Fred at Yoyodyne and he was very helpful clarifying the procedure.

The install should go: regular friction plate first, then a steel, then the thin friction plate with the wave washer seat and wave washer sitting in its inner circumference (that's why that friction plate is thinner, to accommodate the seat and washer within its inner circumference), then another steel and then alternating regular friction plates and steels.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts