Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, again.. back on the subject of riding with music lol.
What do you guys use?
Pros/Cons in relation to size, adjusting controls while riding (ie. volume), or anything else you want to add.

Currently I use an 8GB iPod Touch (2g) with the Sony MDREX32 (which fail in comparison to the 55s, in more ways than one). Which I will be selling to my friend b/c 8GB is too small for me.. so I'm just looking at my options. Right now, I'm locked on Creative's Zen line (XFI and Zen) b/c I've had nothing with great experiences on their previous models from years back. Ive had terrible experience with Sandisk, and pretty decent one with iRiver.

So I'm just curious to what else is out there for everybody.

And I really hope nobody says Zune.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Zune!

Actually I have a zune in a drawer that I only break out for long plane rides.

I am interested in this as well, and also in what kind of setup everyone has for mounting/etc.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I normally have it in my chest pocket of my riding jacket, and then using a Timex Watch w/ Bluetooth iPod control, I can change the volume, play/pause, skip songs. And the watch is mounted by the clutch lever.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Zune 8Gig, Skull Candy ink'd ear buds.

All i know is ill NEVER buy a iPod after getting my hands on my zune. no comparison IMHO i hate how the ipods look and feel and are way overpriced! i got my zune for 100 bucks while a ipod is about 150 for the same 8gig memory. I have not PERSONALLY tried any of the other brands but ive heard you get what you pay for with the cheaper Mp3's

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
on the flip side, I've used the first and second generation zunes, a classic style ipod (technically the 80gb classic, but its the same as the previous ones), and my ipod touch 16gb (32gb came out 32 DAYS after I bought mine.. grr).

Zune - Crap - the looks of the clickwheel to bring in the idiots, crappy controls. 4:3 screen if you would use it for any videos.. so thats crap. Terrible issues with crashing PERMANENTLY. I hated using it.

Classic iPod - Hate the controls. Pretty dependable, but I HATE iTunes! Definitely a solid choice though.. Better than a Zune in my experience and my opinion

iPod Touch - Way over-priced, but I love it! I did a LOT of research (im kind of a freak about that) before i purchased it. The above mp3 players are ones I have used for extended periods of time. I played around with the creative lines and whatnot, and they look pretty nice.

If you are getting rid of your touch and dont want to spend a crapload of money replacing it, I would suggest either a regular iPod or creative model. Stay away from the budget junk (Sandisk - that you already mentioned you hated - and the like)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I haven't listened to music while riding yet, as I've only clocked about 800 miles on my first bike so far. But for working out/hiking I have an iPhone with all my music on it and Shure e4c earphones, which sound amazing with little foam sleeves for a nice tight fit in your ear canal. They're pricey but worth every penny. If/When I decide to rock out while riding I'll probably use my old iPod shuffle or just make a playlist on iPhone and commit to whatever songs I put on there (can't really change the song or playlist with a touchscreen and gloves).

·
Registered
585 Posts
I use an Ipod Nano 2 or 4 GB don't remember off the top of my head. Then I have the Monster Iez-click for it. Machined a custom mount that goes right in between my bar risers and mounted the remote right there. Works perfect. Bought the wife a Sansa Clip, several riding buddies use these, For the price the Sansa works amazing. I really hate the fact I always have to use itunes and therefore hardly ever update my ipod. Also. I don't see the point in buying anything more expensive to wear with me while i ride. Not like I can watch videos while i'm cruising the back roads. For other use i.e. plane rides I have a Sony PSP to watch the videos on. Something about watching videos on a screen as small as the IPod just doesn't appeal to me.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I use an Ipod Nano 2 or 4 GB don't remember off the top of my head. Then I have the Monster Iez-click for it. Machined a custom mount that goes right in between my bar risers and mounted the remote right there. Works perfect.
Do you (or anybody else who uses it) have any issues using the IEZ-Click? Some of the online reviews report issues with volume shooting all the way up/down.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I use my Zumo GPS unit in conjunction with my Autocom system & noise cancelling headset, good stereo sound, even at speeds over 100mph

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, as much as I love the UI of the Touch and how intuitive it really is (which I hate to admit b/c I'm very anti-Apple), it has a ton of features I never use. The video, the WiFi, the apps, the GPS, all of the features are essentially useless to me, so I'm thinking about upgrading the size from 8 to hopefully 16, or at least 32. I have roughly 90 gigs of music on my computer so using less than 10% of that is definitely a kick in the pants lol.

Decisions decisions..
Ah, screw it; let's ride :p

Actually.. it's raining. FML.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was going to use my 2nd gen shuffle. I figured if something happened and it got crushed I wouldn't be too ******. Then I won an ebay auction for the XM antenna for my Zumo550. Sound goes through Etymotic ER6-i earbuds. Works really well.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I stream music from my LG Dare to my Chatterbox XBi with the bluetooth. Works great and I have an 8GB mini SD card in my phone so I can hold a good amount of music...

·
Registered
71 Posts
$900.00 GPS :eek::eek: .. if only LOL
Yeah, I know. But I got it on sale at Amazon last year for $688 with free shipping. I used to use an eTrex legend, but the Zumo wipes it out, and I can actually see the map while I am riding. I still carry the Legend in my luggage in case the Zumo craps out along the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts