Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently installed new Spiegler sheel braided brake lines and new EBC HH brake pads on my 2009 CBR600RR (I know this is an SV forum but I having 2 SV650 bikes I know there are some experienced and intelligent riders on this particular forum). I have to say, there has been little to no improvement in braking whatsoever. I don't feel a change in initial braking sensitivity or overall braking - which are the two areas I was hoping to see a change. I will say that I initially must have had some air bubbles in the lines as the lever pull was quite soft but after cleaning out the calipers and rebleeding the lines - the lever pull is strong but braking performance is not improved (it hasn't diminished either). Anybody else have the same result from putting in brake lines? Is the master cylinder on the CBR simply not that good? I know what good braking feels like (I have solid braking on my track bike (sv650)- same Tokico calipers but different brake lines and Brembo MC so the setup is quite different) and was hoping to get the same bite sensitivity - frankly I am quite disappointed with the effort and money put into this and the poor performance result - just wondering if others have had a similar experience or if I am doing something wrong.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The most noticeable improvement is when the original lines are old or poor quality, and expand somewhat under pressure. Many modern bikes, especially high-end and sport bikes, already have teflon-lined brake lines which have essentially no expansion. At that point, new SS braided lines offer little besides cosmetics. I would strongly suspect that the 09 CBR600RR comes with excellent brake lines from the factory.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The steel lines will make a bit of a difference, but it is only really noticeable under very hard, panic-style braking. Usually the pads make a more noticeable difference, but you need to give them a few hundred miles of normal riding to bed to the rotors properly.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I never felt much of a difference with mine either, but I know at the track under hard braking I dont have to worry about expanding rubber lines.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The most noticeable improvement is when the original lines are old or poor quality, and expand somewhat under pressure. Many modern bikes, especially high-end and sport bikes, already have teflon-lined brake lines which have essentially no expansion. At that point, new SS braided lines offer little besides cosmetics. I would strongly suspect that the 09 CBR600RR comes with excellent brake lines from the factory.
+1 ^^^ What he said...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Your first problem lies with the brake pads, EBC HHs just plain suck. Look at Vesrah RJL or their SRJL pads for replacements.
Like LT1 said, SS brake lines by themselves won't make a big difference. Only after repeated hard stops where the fluid is really hot would you notice the lines not expanding like they probably would with rubber lines.

Make sure you have bled the lines as best as possible to get all the air out. If you haven't already, rig the brake lever up so that it is applied overnight (I do this with a small bungee cord). This forces the air bubbles up to the top at the MC.

Not sure about the newer 600rr's, but my RC51 has a crappy MC with no bleed valve. It is a major PITA to bleed this thing - a lot 51 owners switch to Brembo or other MCs I have discovered.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
^^ Good to know! (bungee thing)

Also, the Vesrah pads are cabillion times better than what you are using as mentioned above

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just how much better are the versah's than the EBC HH? I feel pretty stupid for not thoroughly checking this earlier. Is it better enough that I could feel a significant difference off the bat between brand new EBC HH and brand new Versahs - everything else being equal?

·
Registered
353 Posts
The most noticeable improvement is when the original lines are old or poor quality, and expand somewhat under pressure.
I think this is probably why I felt a noticeable difference when putting SS lines on my '02 SVS (replacing the originals that had been on there for the better part of a decade).

On a newer bike - especially "sportier" fare - I probably wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Just how much better are the versah's than the EBC HH? I feel pretty stupid for not thoroughly checking this earlier. Is it better enough that I could feel a significant difference off the bat between brand new EBC HH and brand new Versahs - everything else being equal?
Night and day difference for me

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
The lines made a big difference for my 03. 8 years and ~20k miles on stock pads and lines meant I could feel a big difference from lines and the EBC HH pads (at least I think I went HH...).

As others have mentioned, you probably need to make more changes to get the same difference and same level of feel on an 09 supersport.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts