Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey SVR,

As my body mods on my bike are in sight, the next step is to start dicking around with the motor. Now I want to do something with the motor, but indecisiveness and unfamiliarity with motor mechanics have me befuddled.

So I come to you all to pick your brains on what your dream engine mod would be if you didn't have a budget or price limit. Right now I am torn between boring/stroking to 744/787 or doing an engine swap with a built SV1k unit. Either way this wont be done until Winter 2013/Spring 2014 on the early side.

So SVR, what would your dream engine mod be?

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I've wanted to experiment with a big bore, short stroke version of the SV motor.
58mm billet crank from Falicon, +5 pistons, custom titanium rods from Crower, fairly big cams from MegaCycle, and ignition and FI from a Ducati 748.

The theory being that the better rod length/stroke ratio would stress the crank less, letting you run higher piston speeds and making more power.

Let me know when you get it built. ;D

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Falicon stroker crank & rods. Zlock Racing big bore kit.
808cc SV with a stout bottom end.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Interesting, I have no feedback for you but I figure in a year or 2 i might just do the same thing.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
neither of those ideas are good.

sv1k swap is terrible idea, just buy sv1k, the motor is why the sv1k is so much heavier then the 650. 744 is going to blow right away unless you dump a fckton of $$$ into lower end and even then it will blow.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
So Sweist, then what's your ideal engine mod
One that doesn't blow up or cause me any headaches.

It might be fun to talk about all the cool sht you want to do to a motor, but if it actually happens, in the end you will have a ton of wasted money in a blown up motor.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Doing a nice cleanup on the valve job and head to make it as perfect as you can get it, look at the squish clearances, degree the cams, install a good exhaust system and a set of flat-slides. Bump the timing 4 degrees and tune the carbs properly. You will now have a very, very nice 650 that gives you pretty much everything they have to give. If you want more than that.....I'd get another bike.

The SV1K is everything good that the 650 is....with a LOT more motor.:) I don't think you can build a 650 that will run with a 1K so if that is the power level you want...time for a new bike. You'll still love the SV like you do now....it's just a bigger one.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Doing a nice cleanup on the valve job and head to make it as perfect as you can get it, look at the squish clearances, degree the cams, install a good exhaust system and a set of flat-slides. Bump the timing 4 degrees and tune the carbs properly. You will now have a very, very nice 650 that gives you pretty much everything they have to give. If you want more than that.....I'd get another bike.

The SV1K is everything good that the 650 is....with a LOT more motor.:) I don't think you can build a 650 that will run with a 1K so if that is the power level you want...time for a new bike. You'll still love the SV like you do now....it's just a bigger one.
have you had experience with bumping timing 4 degrees? you referring to the factory pro ignition advance kit with the offset woodruff key? i thought about using one, but don't know if its any use.

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
have you had experience with bumping timing 4 degrees? you referring to the factory pro ignition advance kit with the offset woodruff key? i thought about using one, but don't know if its any use.
Yes! and Yes!:) I've been running one on the 1K for close to 10K miles now and really like what it did for the engine. Increased torque in the low to midrange rpm as well as increased gas mileage. The engine pulls harder and is just generally happier with the timing increased a bit. The FI bikes also inject their fuel earlier by that same 4 degrees so that might help a little too.

All is not perfect with the split-key though, as some have measured a decrease in top end power using them. Not much, and some bikes don't lose any, but Suzuki has the ignition timing pretty close for maximum top end power as per stock so it might be over advanced a little on some bikes.

Mine seems perfectly happy with the key, but I also rarely run it out to the redline. It will pull hard out that far, but it might have actually lost a couple HP. The Assometer can't tell.:) But the benefits down low and in the midrange are plain to feel and see for sure on my bike.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes! and Yes!:) I've been running one on the 1K for close to 10K miles now and really like what it did for the engine. Increased torque in the low to midrange rpm as well as increased gas mileage. The engine pulls harder and is just generally happier with the timing increased a bit. The FI bikes also inject their fuel earlier by that same 4 degrees so that might help a little too.

All is not perfect with the split-key though, as some have measured a decrease in top end power using them. Not much, and some bikes don't lose any, but Suzuki has the ignition timing pretty close for maximum top end power as per stock so it might be over advanced a little on some bikes.

Mine seems perfectly happy with the key, but I also rarely run it out to the redline. It will pull hard out that far, but it might have actually lost a couple HP. The Assometer can't tell.:) But the benefits down low and in the midrange are plain to feel and see for sure on my bike.
Very good to know. thank you. as mine is a track day bike, i would prefer not to lose top end, so i think i'll pass on it for now. and anyway, its pretty easy mod to do as it is. i may do it later at some point if i feel froggy. on my second gen however, it might be even more useful. though i don't want to mess too much with that one, it would be better to have a bit more lower and mid range plus better fuel economy. its pretty much a stock touring machine that needs only higher handlebars.

thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Very good to know. thank you. as mine is a track day bike, i would prefer not to lose top end, so i think i'll pass on it for now. and anyway, its pretty easy mod to do as it is. i may do it later at some point if i feel froggy. on my second gen however, it might be even more useful. though i don't want to mess too much with that one, it would be better to have a bit more lower and mid range plus better fuel economy. its pretty much a stock touring machine that needs only higher handlebars.

thanks again for the info!
My pleasure!:) Was just looking at FP's website: http://www.factorypro.com/

look at the dyno chart provided for the 650 as it shows a top end improvement! My caution about the 1K came from an experienced tuner over on the Portal and may not apply to the 650 at all. If it actually does increase the top end a HP or two.....that's pretty easy and cheap ponies for the race bike.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I know I've seen Zoran say that the kit is useless on the 650.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I know I've seen Zoran say that the kit is useless on the 650.
so did mr spears. It seems with their 95 hp motors, it's kinda pointless anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
A 100% bone stock SV650 motor. Someone saying he wants a hot rod engine is almost always someone who's never tried living with one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts