Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...you drag your knee just to go straight down the highway!

Well, it hasn't been that bad. I've been riding everyday despite the ridiculous wind we have around here- 20-30 mph sustained with 40-50 mph gusts. It seems to blow about 3-4 days per week.

I was sitting at a stop light yesterday and a gust nearly blew me over! It's much more managable when moving and no too bad with a head or tail wind. It's the cross wind that tries to lay you over.

What about you? If you ride regardless of wind, what's your strategy for high-wind riding?

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
I went through the windstorm from h3ll going down the Steppe in Colorado last year. Spent 2 hours tucked behind a trucker hanging off the side of the bike. It sucked. I hope to never encounter that again.

I put an edge on the same tire coming back through South Dakota. Spent 700 miles leaning to the right to counter act the wind. That tire was toast after that trip.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was with a group leaving palm springs going toward the 10 freeway where the wind farm is. Anyway the winds were gusting over 50mph 90 degrees to us. We were getting blown off the road. I had a passenger and we were both leaning in to the wind. We got to the 10 fwy and sat in the motel six for half a day until the wind died down. We were behind a big rig swaying in the breeze. It was nuts!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...Spent 2 hours tucked behind a trucker...
I admit to drafting in the 'pocket' behind a big rig too, but it's a pretty risky position. There's just too much chance of the truck kicking something up and smacking you in the head. Forget about having enough time to react to an obstacle in front of the truck.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I thought I knew about riding in wind when I lived in the Midwest. You ain't seen wind until you've seen a desert wind! Late afternoon we had 60+ mph a couple of times last week.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
It was quite windy this weekend. 45 degrees of lean to go straight was interesting.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The last few days have been quite Gusty here in NJ.. I went for a night ride and it wasn't so bad on the local roads, a few gusts pushed me around a little, but the Hwy was rough. I was tucked down, laying on my tank, going into the wind; and it felt like I was going to be lifted up and off the bike. That was a slow ride home on the hwy.

·
Registered
756 Posts
saturday in the northeast was killer. I was getting pushed around like crazy on the highways and bridges. I commited myself to the ride and I wasn't turning back, but I honestly considered it.

I was fighting the wind for the whole ride and it was right on the edge of being unpleasant. Then the twisties came and I forgot all about the misery.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
I was with a group leaving palm springs going toward the 10 freeway where the wind farm is. Anyway the winds were gusting over 50mph 90 degrees to us. We were getting blown off the road. I had a passenger and we were both leaning in to the wind. We got to the 10 fwy and sat in the motel six for half a day until the wind died down. We were behind a big rig swaying in the breeze. It was nuts!
You're talking about the Santa Ana winds right through the desert hot springs next to san jacinto. Those winds SUCK. 60mph sustained winds on some days.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would prefer sustained winds to the awful gusting. At least with sustained you know it's coming. Last week I was fighting gusts from every direction, it's definitely no fun to feel like a parachute!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts