Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A curiosity I saw today.

I have a Yoshimura stainless steel slip-on (in my 2002 SV).
A friend has a 2001 SV, and just got a full system from eBay (used). He asked me for a hand to install it, so today I rode over to his place.

I have heard several times in the past that (most if not all) exhausts manufacturers make the same can (muffler) for different bikes, and only the elbows and connector pipes are specific for each bike.

Well, it looks like Yoshimura took the extra step to make the can for the slip-on and the full system different and specific to each one. But it doesn't make sense, it would be more expensive and a good selling point that they are not using.

Both my slip-on and the full system are rs-3, both with race baffle. My slip-on is SS, and the full system is Ti. They look exactly the same size and shape in the outside, but the full system can is so much lighter than mine. I thought it was only the material it is made of, but the difference in weight is dramatic. Looking at it closely it appears to have a bigger internal hole (or smaller walls /packing) than my slip-on. It makes more noise than my slip-on.

Has anyone else seen the same in Yoshimura or any other manufacturer? Does it make sense?

Marcos

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe his was a different model year since it is used?

D

·
0 Posts
I've heard of this before. I think a lot of quality exhaust manufacturers do this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the Ti can should be almost half the weight of the SS can... BUT... you should measure the ID of both cans and post them up! if you can find the manufacture dates on them that could help too, different years, design changes a bit...

J

·
0 Posts
I read about this before on Yoshi's website. What sucks about it is that you can not get the piping for a slip on if you decided to go to a full race exhaust since the cans used for a slip on and for a full race exhaust are different.

S

·
0 Posts
i guess it sucks in that respect, but i do think it's cool that yosh takes the time to build and tune different systems/bolt-ons for different bikes..

i went with a yosh bolt-on for the gixxer, it sounds great and ran well even without re-mapping.

R

·
0 Posts
Marcos Santiago said:
A curiosity I saw today. Has anyone else seen the same in Yoshimura or any other manufacturer? Does it make sense?
Don't know why and about other manufacturers, but yes, my Yosh RS-3 Alluminium full system is just like that compared to the slip-on Yosh RS-3 that my friend got. Louder and lighter.

Ravi

S

·
0 Posts
IT makes sense that the can would be more free flowing on the expensive full system. That way when they claim their headpipes increase horsepower over stock ones they can back it up with comparison dyno graphs of the slip on vs. the full system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey, I just snagged a used RS3 full system for my 01 SVS...

...is there some kind of baffle thing I can stick in there temporarily if I'm in a low-noise area? I know some mfr's have easily removable sound baffles, just wondering if yoshi makes 'em as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh yeah - hey Ravi, what mains/jets/AF/shims are you running with your full system? Are you desnorkeled or filtered? I want to dig into the carbs as soon as I can scare up some free time...
rinthiran said:
Marcos Santiago said:
A curiosity I saw today. Has anyone else seen the same in Yoshimura or any other manufacturer? Does it make sense?
Don't know why and about other manufacturers, but yes, my Yosh RS-3 Alluminium full system is just like that compared to the slip-on Yosh RS-3 that my friend got. Louder and lighter.

Ravi

G

·
0 Posts
On a stock motor, anyone know how much of a diffrence there is between a slipon and full system?

Over the winter Im thinking about getting a Tri-oval titanium system (the headers I think are not titanium tho) to replace my stock header w/ Two Brothers carbon slipon.

My reasoning, less weight and more HP for the straights.

Anyone know how much lighter or heavier the Yoshi full system is compared to other brands?

Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
According to dyno graphs I have seen you may gain 3 hp with a full system. The main advantage will be the much better finish. The dyno graph yosh sent me with my installation instructions was all messed up, the torque and hp didnt even meet at 5250 rpm like they have to.

·
MOTORADOR
10,823 Posts
Full system is louder.

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
You forgot to add Brah! to the end of that sentence...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yosh probably makes a dozen end cans. They're common between bikes. So the full system end can be used on 100 different applications and your slip on end can may be used in a hundred different applications.

Each end can is not specific to each bike and system but the end cans are shared across a broad range of systems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts