Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about chopping about 1/3 ot 1/2 of my Yoshi TRS off and making a shortie out of it. Has anyone done that with this exhaust? Did it get noticeably louder, or did it cause you to have to remap the computer? Any unexpected issues with the work involved?

I just want to make sure I'm not creating more hassle than this little mod is worth!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I chopped stainless TRS this winter. It did get a bit louder. Enough that I will always wear earplugs now. Still sounds good though and with the PCIII the bike runs about the same as before. The change is I don't have as much popping on decel that I had before with the full can and PC. Purely by chance though. It has also been cold when I have been out and it did seem to pop more in the summer with everything the way I had it.

I didn't do a write up. We have enough threads can chops IMO. They are all basically the same.

I cut off 8" to remove the rash from last years lowside.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It does not have to be permanent, you can buy replacement sleeves from Yosh in CF, SS and Ti. If you didn't like it you could drill out the rest of the rivets and replace it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks sweet! Exactly what I want to do, except I was debating about debranding my TRS by cutting off the logos and just leaving a plain SS can - keep the bottom part and cut off the logo end. I guess it probably wouldn't matter which end you cut off, would it?

I haven't done any remapping so far. I'm wondering if I'm going to need to remap once this is done... I've just ordered a K&N Air filter. That combined with a chopped TRS might be enough to need a map. Any thoughts on that?

I chopped stainless TRS this winter. It did get a bit louder. Enough that I will always wear earplugs now. Still sounds good though and with the PCIII the bike runs about the same as before. The change is I don't have as much popping on decel that I had before with the full can and PC. Purely by chance though. It has also been cold when I have been out and it did seem to pop more in the summer with everything the way I had it.

I didn't do a write up. We have enough threads can chops IMO. They are all basically the same.

I cut off 8" to remove the rash from last years lowside.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
That looks sweet! Exactly what I want to do, except I was debating about debranding my TRS by cutting off the logos and just leaving a plain SS can - keep the bottom part and cut off the logo end. I guess it probably wouldn't matter which end you cut off, would it?

I haven't done any remapping so far. I'm wondering if I'm going to need to remap once this is done... I've just ordered a K&N Air filter. That combined with a chopped TRS might be enough to need a map. Any thoughts on that?
I thought about what to do because the clamp goes over the badge. I was going to cut the inlet end of the can no matter what because that is what suffered the rash in my lowside. If I was to cut the badge or remove I would have to drill another hole in the skin for a new rivet location. Really didn't feel like putting an extra hole in the side and patching the old hole or holes. It's fine the way it is. Some day when I have money 2 burn I want to get a Holeshot. Just because i like the look better.

The way I understand the only real way to get you bike dialed in perfectly is to have it dynoed and remapped. If you can find somewhere to get it done, go for it. There are some local forums I go to in the area that do dyno days and get a discount on pulls and time remapping. I plan on doing it but not till after I do a valve check and adjustment and Throttle body sync. Just to have everything right before I invest the time and energy of a dyno. I also have a K&N. I'm still in debate if it is the right thing to have. Coming from dirt I don't really care for them but it seems to stay pretty clean and i don't ride on dirt road very often. So dust isn't an issue.

So with my PC, KN and chopped can I have all seems well. I do plan on remapping but not quite yet. The bike seems to be running pretty good. But I think it would be in yours and my best interest to get our bikes remapped just because we took the time to do the job might as well get it as close to right as possible. Some will tell you it's overkill. It's really up to you.

And that's my $.02

Sorry it was so long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts