Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havent ridden much at all since my little spill a couple of weeks ago. I mean, almost NONE. Rode once for just a few short miles, but I was REALLY going REALLY slow...just hadnt gotten confidence back up yet.

So...I'm feeling a bit better about it now, so I rode to work yesterday. I've got some nice curves on the way to work, and I'm feeling good, so I speed up a little...not fast, just fast enough to actually lean the bike a little ;). Took a nice sharp right hander, and YIKES! front wheel feels like it's sliding out. hmm. weird. repeat with every right turn.

you know, you would think I would have looked over the bike REALLY carefully before actually taking the damned thing out on the road. looked her over really good this morning and noticed that front tire is worn down on the right side on the edge of the tread over about 1/3 of the tire where it skidded down the pavement in my crash :-[

I was planning to order some new tires, but have been putting it off. so I ordered a new set of Pilot Roads this morning, and Suzi will be parked till I get the new rubber on.

I feel like the tire is what was making the bike feel weird in turns...but any other suggestions on what this newbie rider and 1st time crasher should check would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I once got advice from a guy after one of my crashes. If you have any doubts about getting back onto your bike after crashing. You really need to do some soul searching before you get yourself deeper into it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know anything about your crash, but I reckon if you didn't notice anything else out of the ordinary (i.e. forks looked straight, handlebars still lined up ok) you should take it out for a test ride when you've got the new tyres on.

Just take it easy 'til you build up your confidence (and scrub in the new tyres). It'll probably work out ok because you have to take it easy 'til they're scrubbed in anyway. :) If it still feels wrong, you'll know to get someone more experienced to look it over (if you don't decide to do it anyway).

:)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, lkm, but I am DEFINITELY going to get back on her. I am going through withdrawls!

I guess newbie isn't exactly the right word. I've got about 6k miles and almost one year of riding under my belt. I do still feel like a newbie when I talk to some of you guys, though, since many of you are very knowledgeable about things I never even thought about. and I am definitely still learning, I think I learn something new every time I ride...but that's a good thing, right?

thanks, ping. crash was just a low speed slide - hard braking on cold tires, rear slid out from under me. forks look straight to my eyes, and handlebars are straight.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
gahd-- Yes the tire will feel funny when you initiate turn in if they are cupped (flat center). There will be resistance to turn in and then BAM, in you lean. Until you get the new rubber, you can do a couple things to make it a little better:

Smooth out your leaning inputs, especially at the initiation of turn in

Take turns slower, and please slow down everything if it's cold where you're at and you're on D220's...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts