Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried to sync up my throttle bodies today but ran into a problem. When going by the FSM it says there should be a .007" gap in between the throttle lever and stop screw. I took this to mean it need to be shimmed to maintain that gap throughout synchronization.

I must be wrong on that assumption because I can only raise the idle to about 1,000rpm with the shim there. Without the shim there I have enough adjustment to keep the idle at 1300rpm. I'm using a homemade deal with two glass bottles.

Per the FSM "During balancing the throttle valves, always set the engine
rpm at 1 300 rpm, using throttle stop screw." I took this to mean you should maintain that 1300rpm throughout the process. But it also says "After balancing the two valves, set the idle rpm to 1 300 rpm." So do they mean set the idle at 1300rpm right before the sync and leave it alone until afterwards?

I searched around on here but could only find one mention of the .007" gap http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58972&highlight=do+to+your+sv+today&page=722 I'm still kind of confused about how that gap is maintained though. The guy says he loosened the stop screw, but it says not to touch that in the manual.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Ok, but what about the .007" gap?
I just looked at the manual, and don't think you should worry about the .007 gap....just synch the throttles, then set the idle speed where it belongs. THEN check to make sure your throttle isn't sitting on the stop screw...which it most likely won't. The .007 spec isn't critical....they're just wanting it to NOT be on the screw and have some clearance. Someone then asks 'what should the 'almost touching' clearance be?' So they gave it a number. .007. Maybe someone was a James Bond fan?:)

Seriously, just synch the throttles and ignore the gap. Once you've got them synched and idling properly you'll likely find the gap OK. If it is anywhere close...ride and enjoy the newfound smoothness. If it is grossly out of spec, there will be something wrong somewhere. Bent, worn out or not adjusted properly. Give it a try and see what the gap ends up being when you are synched.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just looked at the manual, and don't think you should worry about the .007 gap....just synch the throttles, then set the idle speed where it belongs. THEN check to make sure your throttle isn't sitting on the stop screw...which it most likely won't. The .007 spec isn't critical....they're just wanting it to NOT be on the screw and have some clearance. Someone then asks 'what should the 'almost touching' clearance be?' So they gave it a number. .007. Maybe someone was a James Bond fan?:)

Seriously, just synch the throttles and ignore the gap. Once you've got them synched and idling properly you'll likely find the gap OK. If it is anywhere close...ride and enjoy the newfound smoothness. If it is grossly out of spec, there will be something wrong somewhere. Bent, worn out or not adjusted properly. Give it a try and see what the gap ends up being when you are synched.
Thanks for the advice. This is what I was planning to go ahead with anyway. I figured it was just me over analyzing things as per usual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts