Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have set the sag on the rear. And know the adjustment to make when I'm riding 2 up with my daughter.
I haven't touched the front yet. The "plush" is ok, especially for the many highway miles I put on the bike. The thing I HATE is the over abundance of dive when on the brakes. Which leads me to several questions.

1) Would setting the sag help with this?
2) To set the sag, I need to essentially jack the front up, pull the fork caps off, and make the spacers to lenght, right?
3) If I make the spacers slightly longer would it give more preload to the springs, and would that help with the dive?
4) Would changing the viscosity of the fork oil help?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Setting the sag will set position and ride height. If you have a lot of dive you should check the spring rate. Stock springs are good for riders around 150 - 160 lbs in gear. Since you ride two up often you will have to get a spring that will handle that extra weight.

Changing the spacer length is how you change preload. You need to check your total sag now and adjust appropriately. For example, if your total sag is now 45mm and you want 35mm then you need to add 10mm to the spacer length. Again, if the spring rate isn't right you will still have a lot of dive.

Changing fork oil will help a lot. Since you ride two up you probably want to go with 20W. Consider emulators. They help by giving adjustable compression.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha... Thanks Andy!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts