Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to replace my '99 stock R/R for a newer GSXR regulator.

I've read SolidONE's 'SolidFIX' thread but I've had trouble finding any other good examples of using the newer 7 wire regulators. Are there others out there using these newer regulators?

Are the 07+ model year regulators with 7 wires the way to go? Is everyone putting the extra two wires on the battery like SolidONE? Are there better alternatives?

Thanks, I just want to make sure I order the right part. Right now I'm looking at a '07 GSXR 750 regulator.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
If you inspect your current connectors and check the pictures of the R/R you're going to buy then you might be able to find one that uses the same connectors.
That's what I did- and my R/R was plug and play. No soldering, cutting, splicing necessary.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
If you inspect your current connectors and check the pictures of the R/R you're going to buy then you might be able to find one that uses the same connectors.
That's what I did- and my R/R was plug and play. No soldering, cutting, splicing necessary.
But I enjoy soldering and tinkering. When done successfully, it makes me feel more manly.

When it doesn't go so well, well, um, you guys don't hear about those very often...

;)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Dac -- which R/R did you end up getting? Was it a GSX-R unit? Which year if so? ;)

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
I find that hooking the extra set of pos/neg leads of the 7 wire R/R's directly to the battery gives the battery a bit more juice. Of course if you just soldered them together the wireing would be more "sanitary". Anyways, if you dont mind trading the connectors from the SV unit to the GSXR unit the '07 is a good choice. I'd go with the newer unit than a older one simply because it's less likely to be used up or malfunctioning. Good luck.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Dac -- which R/R did you end up getting? Was it a GSX-R unit? Which year if so? ;)
Yeah, I used a GSXR R/R.
I dont remember what year.

This is how I picked my GSXR unit:
I took out my stock R/R and looked at the plug configuration (02 SV's had 2 plugs vs 1 with earlier SV's).
I got on ebay and found a reputable seller that had GSXR R/R's
I found a picture that showed one with 2 plugs that looked just like the 2 I have on the stock R/R. It was from a newer (*than 2002) GSXR so I ordered it.
There was no voodoo involved, just a common sense approach.

Nothing wrong with getting one that you have to solder, because if jbswear can manage to do it right then it shouldnt be much of a task for anyone else ;)
I just choose the route that was easier for me. plug and play.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
^^^

Thanks -- I have a GSX-R1000 unit sitting on my shelf, but I'd been procrastinating the install for like, two months now. ;D Mine is a '00, so it is the one-connector harness. Looks like the Sol1 method is going to be my method. ;)

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Nothing wrong with getting one that you have to solder, because if jbswear can manage to do it right then it shouldnt be much of a task for anyone else ;)

And if you've seen my bike in person, you'd know exactly what he's talking about.

If SVR had a "I can't believe it's still running" monthly award, I'd win it hands down. Well, ASCSurveyor and I would be in strong competition for it...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I ended up ordering the 7 wire from the '07 GSXR 750.

I got it for 14.99 and I enjoy soldering wires so it shouldn't be too bad.

As it turns out one of the connectors is cracked anyway, so I'll be replacing that with the stock connector from my bike.

I think I"ll probably solder the redundant wires to the other 2 like jbswear has just for simplicity.

Thanks again for the help guys, I'll let you know how it turns out... hopefully there isn't something else wrong with my wiring/battery.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
jb... I really, really like your avatar. Haven't looked through A2 sights in years, and it literally waybacked me to Kitzingen, Germany, 1991. :cool: Uh, not a crotch.

/derail

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Stupid question:

How do you remove the fairing on the R/R back side of the bike?

I've removed the seats, the middle screw holding the halves together, the 4 screws under the rear seat.

It seems the fairing is caught on the rear most bolt holes... the rubber bit seems to go through the subframe, tail light assembly, and both rear fairing halves.

EDIT: Got it.

Now I just need to make sure the last guy who worked on the bike didn't screw up the wiring coming from the R/R...

It looks like the black wire goes to the battery and the red is spliced with the yellow wires that are going to the stator... oddly...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wired it up, and fired it up. I think it was 14.7v on Idle.. same with hi-beams @ 5krpm.

I'm pretty happy right now, thanks for all the help guys.

Now I just need to get some longer screws so I can bolt it back onto the subframe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts