Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading and reading and still have not come across somthing that deals with my heavy butt directly so i will just ask. I have a 97 or a 2000 gsxr 750 shock i can have for free. I wiegh about 220 and have stock rear on my 01 still. Are either of these worth doing or am i better off stock. Only considering because they are free and i cant really spend on anything else right now. any help is greatly apreciated as always. thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I were you I'd only get hold of the GSXR shock if you plan on holding onto it and saving money until you can get it re-built to suit your size. Since the spring on the GSXR shock is a lower rate than that on the SV you'll be in all sorts of trouble with the back end wallowing around until it is rebuilt.

Other option is to keep an eye on ebay for a ZX6/10 shock or a 'busa shock (but you'll need to get some shorter dogbones to correct the ride height). There's a '03/04 ZX6 shock listed at the moment and ends in a couple of days. This particular unit isn't the best one to get ('05 is a better unit) but it's better than std and cheaper than a rebuild. Ultimately up to you though.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks was kinda thinking that just needed to hear it from someone else. so is the zx10 or busa my only options for my wieght? if i go with the busa where can i get some shorter dogbones?what about a tl1000 will that bolt up and if so is it any better?

·
Registered
130 Posts
dav said:
thanks was kinda thinking that just needed to hear it from someone else. so is the zx10 or busa my only options for my wieght? if i go with the busa where can i get some shorter dogbones?what about a tl1000 will that bolt up and if so is it any better?
TL has a rotory damper, a completely different setup, so no that will not work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nothing stopping you using a zx6 shock, it's just that the '05 is the pick of them. ZX6 has same spring weight as ZX10 so will be able to deal with your weight just as well.

I seem to remember seeing a guide to dogbone lengths to achieve a given lift on the site somewhere. Should be able to find it with a search. Also, check the correct firgure for the shock lengths so you know exactly how much shorter the 'busa shock is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts