Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i know for the rear shock swap depending on your weight in gear your better off getting either a 600, 750 or 1000 shock. does the same apply to the front end would a heavier person be better off getting a 1000 as opposed to a 750??

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
I'm bumping this up since I have my own question regarding front end. I had gotten into an accident due to someone reunning a stop sign. My front shocks are bent.

My question: When I get better and am able to start riding again, I'll start shopping around for parts. Other than sv forks, what other forks are compatible to an 03+ sv? And what else would I need to make them fit?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The only consideration that has anything to do with weight with/without gear is the spring rate on the shock. There is much more to a proper shock setup than that, including shock length and damping curves. On the forks, if you're going to have them sprung and valved for you to match your specs, then it doesn't matter which model forks you use, all of them will work. Some are shorter or longer, and need to be set at specific heights in the triple, and some are significantly shorter and need to be lengthened to perform properly on the SV. If you're not going to spring and valve them appropriately, you probably won't like them. One of my track buddies put a stock GSXR750 front end on his SV, at the same time I had reworked stock SV forks on my bike, and after we swapped bikes for a few laps he didn't want to give my bike back. The stock Gixxer forks are not set up for the SV, most are not even close.

G

·
B.a. said:
does the same apply to the front end would a heavier person be better off getting a 1000 as opposed to a 750??
it wont matter which ones you get.if you just street riding they are all fine stock.older ones have .80 springs and newer 04-05 have .85 springs.if you to heavy for this springs you can put stiffer springs.you can also revalve.if you revalving get 600/750 forks.
if you going to race or are fast track guy you want to set them up.and if that is case you should get real shock.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Fork spring rates:
GSXR-750
94-94=.8
96-97=.797
98=.801
99=.75
00-03=.78
04=.85

GSXR-600
97=.762
98-00=.76 - .78
01-03=.78
04=.85

CBR600F3
95-96=.71
97-98=.699

Race Tech suggested spring rates for street riding:
120=.694
125=.701
130=.709
135=.716
140=.724
145=.731
150=.739
155=.746
160=.754
165=.761
170=.769
175=.776
180=.784
185=.791
190=.799
195=.806
200=.814
205=.821
210=.829
215=.836
220=.844
225=.851
230=.859
235=.866
240=.874
245=.881
250=.889

·
Registered
606 Posts
Zoran is right. They are all fine for street. If you are racing get them done by a suspension shop. Zoltan's numbers make me laugh, could anyone really tell between .797 to .801 Someone at Suzuki has a sense of humor since the springs look and measure exactly the same!!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
DucOwner said:
Zoran is right. They are all fine for street.  If you are racing get them done by a suspension shop.  Zoltan's numbers make me laugh, could anyone really tell between .797 to .801  Someone at Suzuki has a sense of humor since the springs look and measure exactly the same!!! 
All the numbers are from Race Tech, take them however you want.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in all reality i want usd forks. mainly for the ill street fighter look. but i'd probally ed up getting then resprung and valved because i ride rather agressivly. how much would respringing and revalving cost if done by a reputable shop?

G

·
B.a. said:
in all reality i want usd forks. mainly for the ill street fighter look. but i'd probally ed up getting then resprung and valved because i ride rather agressivly. how much would respringing and revalving cost if done by a reputable shop?
$500-700 depending which forks you get.

·
Registered
505 Posts
B.a. said:
in all reality i want usd forks.  mainly for the ill street fighter look.  but i'd probally ed up getting then resprung and valved because i ride rather agressivly.  how much would respringing and revalving cost if done by a reputable shop?
PM Sent

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ivan said:
Jarelj, what can I do about not getting my front-end to dive excessively on the brakes? I like my front-end the way it is (actually  I don't notice it) except for the braking part. I suspect I may be bottoming out the front-end when I hit even a small bump during braking.
if your happy with the handling the way it is i would just try putting heavier fork oil in it. stock is around 5 wt.??? depends on your wieght i wiegh around 190 and was told to go with 20 wt. oil. so figure it out from there. if that don't work try stiffer springs or emulators.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ivan said:
Jarelj, what can I do about not getting my front-end to dive excessively on the brakes? I like my front-end the way it is (actually  I don't notice it) except for the braking part. I suspect I may be bottoming out the front-end when I hit even a small bump during braking.
Brake dive and bottoming can be related to compression damping, spring rate and/or oil level. Do you know the specs on your forks now, what spring rate, oil weight, oil level?

G

·
you can't stop forks from dive under brake.you can stop it from bottoming with right springs for you or playing with oil level but they will always dive.it is nature of teleskopic forks.
if they dont dive than they wont work right.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah, watch a Superbike race sometime, or MotoGP. Watch those guys coming down a straight and then braking hard for a turn. The front end dives like a mofo! You don't want it to bottom out or dive too quickly, but if it doesn't dive at all then Zoran is right, its not working.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Obviously some amount of brake dive is normal and desired for proper turn-in, but this is the part that I took as potentially an issue:

Ivan said:
I suspect I may be bottoming out the front-end when I hit even a small bump during braking.
If it's bottoming out hard, that's likely a problem unless you're Spanky McGrabber with the front brake lever. Put a zip-tie around the fork tube and start with it against the dust seal, then go for a ride using your normal braking technique. If you find that the zip-tie is pushed all the way to the end of travel, then you're bottoming the fork (or at least using 100% of travel). A little info on rider weight, spring rate, etc. will probably clear it up.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
so exactly what would I need to get a gsxr front end on an 05 sv?

lets say I got a good set of gsxr forks with the triple clamp and damper included, then got a wheel with gsxr rotors, after that what would I need to make it fit on the 650? would the sv650 brakes work with it? Would it be fine for street riding as well? I definetly plan on hitting the trackdays here but they are only once a month...(hawaii)

I looked at your svrace shop, and it talked about bearings/etc, I'm just wondering because I will definetly be interested in doing this.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Titusss said:
so exactly what would I need to get a gsxr front end on an 05 sv?

lets say I got a good set of gsxr forks with the triple clamp and damper included, then got a wheel with gsxr rotors, after that what would I need to make it fit on the 650? would the sv650 brakes work with it? Would it be fine for street riding as well? I definetly plan on hitting the trackdays here but they are only once a month...(hawaii)

I looked at your svrace shop, and it talked about bearings/etc, I'm just wondering because I will definetly be interested in doing this.
Only the 1st gen SV requires a new bearing, your '05 won't need it. You need the triples, forks, calipers, wheel, rotors, axle, and fender. Then look at brake lines, speedometer hookup, and a few other things. The forks can be sprung and valved correctly for you to work their best. We can put an entire "kit" together for you and ship it to you ready to install. We have done a lot of "bling" options for street guys as well, including annodizing the fork tubes and fork lowers, even Ti Nitride or DLC coatings on the sliders. Shoot me a PM, or give the shop a call if you want to talk about specifics.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
:)

well that doesn't sound too bad, at the moment I am VERY strapped for cash (working 2-4 hours overtime every day trying to catch up...looking grim) but I do have a couple more questions...

when you say speedometer hookup, what exactly are you talking about (what has to be done?) and will the ignition just pop right into place onto the gsxr clamp?

I will pm you about specifics :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts