Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed a bit more slapping coming from the front cylinder of my 2000 than I'd been used to hearing. After removing the valve cover and plugs I could see the cam chain slipping when I'd manually turn the engine over, so I removed the cam chain tensioner, tore into it, and sure enough the spring has broken off the plunger. Does anyone have a spare sitting around they'd like to part with? Ebay seems to be failing me, unless there are compatible ones on there from other years/bikes that I'm not aware of. I've read some other threads saying some from the 03-04's work as well, but I'm not sure which. Any incite is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I have a spare if you want to purchase it. You would need gaskets for it though which you'd have to order separately.

They are $65 new so make me an offer.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know for a fact that stock 03 tensioners fit on Gen 1 (likely the 04 also). Their base is more oval looking just like the stock Gen 1 tentioners.

The Gen 2 have a more triangular or "hex" looking base.

If anything, stay away from the aftermarket APE manual tensioners as they almost always eventually develop an oil weep/leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, especially Z32 about the manual tensioners. I was considering going in that direction, but it does seem a little overkill for street riding anyway. Were the 03-04 tensioners redesigned to decrease the failure rate, or is that only a Gen 2 and beyond feature?

champer- pm'd.

·
Registered
426 Posts
03-04 tensioners are different in their design from the 99-02. The newer design provides an increased resistance to failiure over the old ones, which were still decent tensioners to begin with.

The 05+ have an additional oil feed channel to further enhance their performance and quiet operation. Hence the larger base. These models would not fit Gen 1.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info Z32. Champer was kind enough to sell me a spare for a great price, so hopefully I'll have this mess cleared up in the next week or so. I guess I need to get on fabricating that little $20 tool so I can attach the new one. Better find an old hacksaw blade...

@tovar: I didn't take pictures after I took the old one apart. I'll try to get a couple when I make it home and post them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with my '99. The spring had broken off at the very end where it locates in the centre part, so all i did was bend a new leg on to the spring with pliers and put it back in, i had to wind the tensioner the opposite way before fitting the centre part all the way in to tension the spring, now its as good as a new one!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I attempted exactly what you just described, but the spring wouldn't sit flush in the cylinder after I finished. Maybe I didn't bend it correctly. Hrm... Well, I'll tinker with it and see what I can do. Maybe it'll be a good backup if the new one breaks as well, although I don't expect it will anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Thanks for the info Z32. Champer was kind enough to sell me a spare for a great price, so hopefully I'll have this mess cleared up in the next week or so. I guess I need to get on fabricating that little $20 tool so I can attach the new one. Better find an old hacksaw blade...

@tovar: I didn't take pictures after I took the old one apart. I'll try to get a couple when I make it home and post them.
The little tool is pretty simple to make with a dremel, or hacksaw and file. Just need a small piece of scrap metal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tensioners should last for a good long while, sounds like you got some bad luck.
I've gathered that as well. The bike has never been dropped and the part itself doesn't seem like it would be mechanically stressed during daily driving. That's exactly when it went out as well, I should add. I left work one day, made it home, poking along about 15-20 in the neighborhood, and boom, the chain started slapping like there was a party down there. Oh well, sh*t happens. Thanks again to Champer for the working piece. As soon as the gaskets get here, hopefully this problem will be remedied. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The tensioner unit can be quite difficult to replace. Here is what I did. Used a longer bolt, 40mm, screwed that in as far as it would go. Then I used a screwdriver to wind in the tensioner, then Pushed the unit down. Held it down with the screwdriver, put the correct bolt in the other hole. Screwed it all the way down. Then replaced the longer bolt with the correct one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The tensioner unit can be quite difficult to replace. Here is what I did. Used a longer bolt, 40mm, screwed that in as far as it would go. Then I used a screwdriver to wind in the tensioner, then Pushed the unit down. Held it down with the screwdriver, put the correct bolt in the other hole. Screwed it all the way down. Then replaced the longer bolt with the correct one.
Have to add, my bike has done 140,000 kms. Original trouble was exhaust pipe was glowing light red when I ran it in the garage. Pipe is big bore titanium. So I changed that cylinder head. Still putting the finishing touches to it. I had already bought a spare engine. I'm 78, been riding 61 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts