Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
However for once this isn't a question post but some info post. I just changed my stock sv 15/45 chain and sprockets for a set of aftermarket 520 chain with 15/46 sprockets. The total weight saved was 1.2 pounds according to the scale that i used. This post isn't to persuade anyone into using a 520 but to let those who are interested in going to one know what they can expect to save.

·
Registered
653 Posts
please xcuse the ignorance, but the number 530, 525 and 520 refer to chain thickness, correct? WHat is signifiacnt about doing this mod. I'm guessing reduced rotating mass?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the numbers are the chain thickness. And yes it lowers rotating mass a little bit.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy I'm not sure as i didn't weigh them on there own. It didn't really dawn on me until after it was installed. As for the sprockets i would say that they were aluminum however i will take a magnet to them to double check for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Aluminum = fast wear = save for another sproket. lol

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
phelix said:
Aluminum = fast wear = save for another sproket. lol
Fo chizzle. Chances are the rear is aluminum, cause I haven't been able to find a steel 520 rear as of yet. I did think of an idea that might fix that though...do some fine measurements of the width difference between my 520 rear and my 525 stock rear, then whip out of the grinder and make the 525 a 520 8), hell yes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts