Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 04 GSXR 1000 shock bolted on my 04 SV650S. Havent put the tail and stuff back on yet...I'm tired, it's a little late, I may wait until tomorrow.

Anyway, using the GSXR bottom bolt on the shock. I grinded the head of the bolt down a little...basically, there was a little ridge around the top edge of the bolt head, and I took that little ridge off. I cut the bolt down a little bit, so that when all put back together, it is nearly flush with the top of the nut (maybe just a hair over). I grinded the nut down a little bit, but not a lot, not as much as the bolt head. The nut does not appear to be taller than the head of the stock bottom shock bolt, so I figured that would be enough.

There is some free play at the bottom of the shock. I'd guestimate it's less than 1/4". I read elsewhere that it is normal to have a little free play at the bottom. How much is too much?

How much clearance does there need to be between the bottom shock bolt and the dogbones (using stock dogbones)? I put the bolt in reverse of stock (that is, bolt head to the right, nut to the left), since that would give a bit more clearance on the right side, where I suspected more clearance would be needed, since the stock shock doesnt have a nut at all on the right. So...I used regular ole US mint quarters as feelers (hey, it's all I had, ok?), and measured the clearance with the shock pushed all the way towards the side I was measuring. On the right side, I have a little bit more than 2 quarters thickness (3 won't fit) clearance between the bolt head and the dogbone. On the left, I have a little LESS than 2 quarters thickness...2 won't quite fit, 1 fits with plenty of room to spare.

So...how much clearance is needed? Is this enough? Hoping to find out before I actually ride it. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,737 Posts
my guess would be to try putting it on a stand and push down on the tail and see if any thing rubs if nothing rubs take it for a spin. p.s. let me know how it works for you seeing as i'm hopefully getting my shock soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
No up and down play is acceptable. If it is side play then a little is no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DucOwner said:
No up and down play is acceptable. If it is side play then a little is no problem.
cool.  yeah, it's side to side play.  there is no up and down play.

what about lower bolt clearance with the dogbones?  how much is needed?

glad you showed up, I know you guys know this stuff better than me.  I'm going to see how it works out...I'm still a relative newbie, so I'm thinking it will be better than stock and good enough for me for now.  I may send it out to you guys in the future if I find it isn't as good as I'm hoping it will be  ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
B.a. said:
my guess would be to try putting it on a stand and push down on the tail and see if any thing rubs if nothing rubs take it for a spin.  p.s. let me know how it works for you seeing as i'm hopefully getting my shock soon.
install was pretty straightforward. I'm finishing up now (just gotta get the seat back on and check my rear lights).

To lift the rear: I removed all of the plastics from the tail. Hog-tied the side stand so it wouldnt fold under. Locked the steering, and strapped the front brake handle down. Placed an aluminum ladder over the tail, and used a ratchet strap from the top of the ladder to the right rear tail section of the bike. This placed a majority of the weight of the bike on the front wheel and side stand. I lifted just barely enough for the rear wheel to clear the ground, which was plenty. I also put a jackstand under my right motoslider to take a little bit of strain off of that ladder, as I didnt really trust it. This setup seemed very sturdy and in no danger of falling over.

On my 04, I had to remove much more of the battery box than I was expecting to, and much more than I was initially comfortable with. Nearly half of the front panel of the box. There is also a plastic support bracket or something on the front of the box that bolts on, and had to be completely removed (the point where it screws down had to be removed). This is what took me so long, as I kept pacing and wondering if I really wanted to do this or not, knowing I couldnt find a battery locally and not sure if everything would fit back together or not...cutting a tiny bit, refitting, cutting again, refitting, etc.

Battery on my 04 is now sitting an estimated 1.5 inches taller than stock. There is a little square rubbery foam pad on the bottom of the seat...removing it makes the seat fit with just a little push from the top. I'm going to get some sort of thin foam sheet (I'm thinking a rubber-foam type mousepad will be perfect) to lay over the top of the battery to keep the seat from rubbing against the battery.

The front of the battery sits directly on top of the shock reservoir (with just a thin layer of foam between them). I put some thick seat foam type stuff in the bottom of the battery box so that the rear and sides of the battery will have something to sit on.

I was thinking of leaving the toolkit out and maybe putting it in the tail trunk space (for weight concerns, since there is now a little less support from above)...but it seems that my foam wanted to squish out of the bottom of the battery box and into the tool box when nothing was under it. So the toolkit stays in the stock location for now.

OK...gonna go get everything back together and take her for a test ride!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top