Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I know this has been covered several times, with different people going about it different ways. I just finished my fourth one, and I think I have the cheapest, most effective method now that I've had so much practice:thumbsup:

Go to Home Depot and buy a 6" strip of gutter guard. The individual strips are the best and are plenty long enough, but a sheet will work too. ACE and Lowes only have 5" strips, which doesn't fully cover the radiator. Then, go to an auto parts store and by DOOR stripping, not weather stripping. The door stripping is thin (1/4") self adhesive vinyl, and the weather stripping is foam and too thick.

Remove the side covers on the radiator and bend your shape out. Now's the time to paint it. I left mine silver, but sprayed clear rustoleum on it because they WILL rust. Where it will wrap around under the covers, cover it in electrical tape. It looks better through the covers, and prevents metal to metal contact. Cut out the areas the screws will go back in at, and cut exactly where you bent it; Hopefully you measured and marked the lines, too ;)

Cut the door stripping to just cover the top and bottom of the gutter guard and press it all the way down onto the metal. Self adhesion is a wonderful thing! After that, you're ready to mount it! Hope this helps!

I spent a total of $6.13 for the materials.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was worried about that as well. Before I used it, I went for a fairly lengthy ride. I came back and immediately strapped both strips up to the radiator, and they didn't seem to mind a bit. I've had no problems with it since I fabbed it up about four months ago. And it's generally in the 90s every day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts