Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sorry if this has been posted before...but I just saw it and noticed it was an SV...poor bike....went on about its' business without the stupid rider.

·
MOTORADOR
10,936 Posts
Gawd dammmmm!

"Oh look, a guardrail!"

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Target fixation and froze. Hopefully he lived through it, that looked like it could have been quite a drop..:oops:

·
Super Moderator
8,818 Posts
Looks like the biker survived. (y)

From Rob's YouTube link:

Photo and Video Credit: Rob Nugent
A trucker from Massachusetts was traveling in Montreal, Quebec when he witnessed a horrific motorcycle accident directly in front of him late Wednesday, April 29th.

The trucker, Rob Nugent, a driver with US Ecology was slowing to take a curve when a motorcyclist passed him on the left, and appeared to be traveling too fast to make the curve and crashed into the guardrail. The rider was then thrown over the guardrail and down the ridge. The motorcycle continued on without the rider down the road for a bit.

Nugent safely stopped his truck and ran to the guardrail to check on the rider. The video highlights Nugent’s immediate decision to attempt to stop other passing vehicles, finally getting a police officer to stop. The video ends with the police officer heading down the steep ridge to get to the rider.

Freight Broker Live was able to speak to Nugent later that night. Nugent informed Freight Broker Live the rider did survive the accident but was going to “feel some pain for a while.”

“I ride my motorcycle too, so I only hope someone does it for me,” Nugent told Freight Broker Live.

Edit: No registration, no license ...no surprise.

·
MOTORADOR
10,936 Posts
"appeared to be traveling too fast to make the curve" 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: sv650bklyn

·
Super Moderator
7,026 Posts
Wasn't that fast or that tight of a turn...

Gotta learn how to negotiate a corner if you want to ride.

Don't think you can make the corner? Lean more...

·
MOTORADOR
10,936 Posts
Wasn't that fast or that tight of a turn...
"Tight" is the last word I would ever use to describe that curve.

Reactions: Jay V

·
Registered
630 Posts
This accident only makes sense to me if the rider was drunk or high AF AND a total newbie. I mean he turned more to the right than to the left as he got closer to the railing.
A classic case of trying to ride a motorcycle like a slow speed bicycle? Not knowing about counter-steering?

This reminded me of this fool who went head on into a truck in a very wide right turn because he turned the handlebars right instead of counter-steering (3 times!; spoiler alert: he survived somehow):

Speed was obviously not the issue as this guy would have crashed even with half that speed...

Leaning more into a curve will move the handlebars and induce more counter-steering. That's what turns the bike, not the body weight itself.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
"Tight" is the last word I would ever use to describe that curve.
And "curve" is the next to the last word I would use to describe that...slight directional change. I doubt the highway line painters were even challenged.

·
Registered
2000 SV650
17 Posts
This accident only makes sense to me if the rider was drunk or high AF AND a total newbie. I mean he turned more to the right than to the left as he got closer to the railing.
A classic case of trying to ride a motorcycle like a slow speed bicycle? Not knowing about counter-steering?

This reminded me of this fool who went head on into a truck in a very wide right turn because he turned the handlebars right instead of counter-steering (3 times!; spoiler alert: he survived somehow):

Speed was obviously not the issue as this guy would have crashed even with half that speed...

Leaning more into a curve will move the handlebars and induce more counter-steering. That's what turns the bike, not the body weight itself.
Dude. That was hard to watch.

·
Registered
24 Posts

This would be great educational material for motorcycle endorsement classes.

·
MOTORADOR
10,936 Posts
Reactions: sv650bklyn
1 - 20 of 82 Posts