Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, traveling around on an errand today in a 6-lane stoplight highway with decent traffic. Not stop and go, but slow enough that 3rd gear feels abandoned. Usually when the light changes yellow and I'm decently far away, I'll give it some throttle and zip through.

However, today I decided to stop for one. I could've easily gone through without being even close to running red, but opted to stop instead. Flashed brakes, downshifted, came to a stop in the right-most lane's left side. The Avalanche behind me wasn't so keen on stopping.

Without really any time for me to react - and he seemed to be going rather slow, only 20-30 mph - he was suddenly next to me, with his driver's door past me, directly to my right - in my lane. Apparently he didn't plan to stop, or was texting his mistress or something (as at his speeds and the distance between us, even grandma could've stopped a caddy with plenty of room behind). After he backed up to behind me, I turned and gave a little polite wave for not smushing me and sending me into a 6-lane highway's intersection. Didn't know what else to do besides.

Had I seen him coming faster, I would've been more alarmed and moved over or into the crosswalk. It was the fact he was moving rather slow that threw me for a loop; its was like if someone in a walker was coming up behind you on the sidewalk, but wasn't paying attention and has to adjust their walker course right at the last minute to not hit you.

Definitely running that yellow light next time. Can never be too sure in Atlan-DUH.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Always gotta be careful and keeping your eyes open for those who aren't doing the same. A friend of mine was killed because the car in front of him was stopped waiting on traffic to turn left on a two lane road. The person behind him didn't stop in time and hit his bike which sent him flying in the air. Then the person ran over him and was stopped on top of him. Be careful out there.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
....Can never be too sure in Atlan-DUH.
Think Atlanta is bad? I always look forward to going to Atlanta to get away from the homicidal maniacs in Miami.

Same thing happened to me two days ago except the Mini behind me was about 15 car lengths away when I stopped for the yellow. Checking my six in the mirror as I usually do, seeing him not slowing down, I was just starting to hit the gas when he woke up and screeched to a stop. The oblivions were out in force that afternoon because a couple of other idiots tried to kill me with lane violations on the same road.

·
Registered
95 Posts
.....its was like if someone in a walker was coming up behind you on the sidewalk, but wasn't paying attention and has to adjust their walker course right at the last minute to not hit you.
^^This was great haha. But yeah i always watch behind me at yellows, this has happened to me before stopping at a yellow light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts