Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christ! I must be getting old, nearly froze to death this morning on my way into work (10 degrees F., god knows what with the windchill).

Time to buy some electrics. Anyone have any opinions on Gerbing vs. Widder? I want to buy a heated vest and some glove liners.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Wow you guys are hardcore, coldest I rode last year was 18*F....only lasted about 10 miles and I had to head back in, not gonna do that again this year

·
Registered
198 Posts
more often than not, i am ready to go in the morning and my bikes say "f- you, dave!" all three of my bikes are carburated (ive been told that makes a difference) and around 40degrees they get really cranky.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
osirisdean said:
more often than not, i am ready to go in the morning and my bikes say "f- you, dave!" all three of my bikes are carburated (ive been told that makes a difference) and around 40degrees they get really cranky.
Mine too, 2 of my bikes are carburated. I go out to the garage before layering up and warm up the bike I'm riding that day. By the time I've had a smoke and get fully dressed, it's good to go.

·
Registered
332 Posts
entropysedge said:
Ack, I haven't been out on the SVS since it first snowed, stupid township does a crappy job clearing off my street, its still iced over :mad:
I have the same problem here, fortunatly I have semi-noobies on the KLR and snow is not a problem if I take it easy.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
Christ!  I must be getting old, nearly froze to death this morning on my way into work (10 degrees F., god knows what with the windchill).

Time to buy some electrics.  Anyone have any opinions on Gerbing vs. Widder?  I want to buy a heated vest and some glove liners.
I have gerbings jacket liner, but not gloves, I have been able to get away with heated grips.

I used to have an eclipse vest, it was ok, but nothing like the gerbings jacket liner for comfortable warmth

I don't even know anybody that had widder, what sold me on gerbins is I was able to ride to Venco Wings show room try the stuff on, and ride away with it connected (my bike was already wired for electrics)

nobody local carries widder in stock

I have heard though that gerbings electrical connections and expanability to gloves, pant liners & socks is more convenient and reliable

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
It was 17*F when I left for work this morning. I'm pretty happy with my bike sitting in the garage ;D I rode long enough through school...

Deisel's aren't real crazy about the cold either... had to glow the plugs a few times and keep a little pressure on the pedal to get it to "catch". 3 gallons of coolant and 2 gallons of oil don't warm up to fast either...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hell, I would kill for 40 degrees. I'd take 40 degrees year round for chrissakes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ride both Dirt Bike and Street Bike, and 40 degrees F is my limit for both. I rode my SV to the grocery store and back (5 miles) when it was 40 degrees F a few weeks back. When I got home I was waiting for my nuts to descend !! There is no way in hell I ride anything on two wheels when it's 18 degrees F outside, you guys are insane :eek:.

P.S. A little trick I learned from riding dirt bikes which are carbureted. When it's really cold outside, lean the bike over (almost laying it on it's side) and let gas flow out of the over-flow tubes. Don't ask my the scientific reason this works, but the bike will start much easier after you do this.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've been lucky and it hasn't been near that cold here in WA, but I've been commuting in temp between 32 and 42, its a little over 60 miles round trip.

Deffinately looking at different clothing for the colder months, like heated glove liners, heated jacket liner, new jacket, and better pants.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
ya i rode in 30 degree foggy weather this morning to work...

i know some of you dont think its that bad....but i live in CA damn it! :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
been riding here in the uk with temps from 23 to 40ish for a while now

no heating just adrenalin when u hit the black ice ;D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tony I am in Lancaster and the roads still are not fit around here with ice patches. I put a review in new products for Gerbing gloves.they are outstanding. 0 degrees forecast for tonight, I do have my limits as far as cold weather goes,under 20 and I take the truck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Rompus, I live just North of Harrisburg. Do you ride with any groups around the area?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts