Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm Luan (guy).

I'm new to riding in the US (got my license last week) but I've had a great many hours on 2-wheels before that.

I grew up riding in super crazy city traffic on 100-150cc bikes (imagine Bombay or thailand, but much worse). And to top it off I was probably the craziest rider of the city.

When I started riding here (Houston, Texas) I did my homework and learned a great deal about motorcycle riding. It was a lot of new stuff. I used to be a very aggressive rider (always looking to beat my own records on city traffic) but now that I'm riding the SV650 on US roads I think I'm just about the safest rider out there. I've been there (riding most recklessly) and now my mind is re-aligned to be safe and I think past riding experience helped me to be extra safe and cautious (think avoiding riders like my teenager self).

Maybe it's just I'm not a kid anymore :D

Ok this has gone longer than it shoud.. HI!!

Oh and I ride a 2002 SV650.

My first ride on it (and first ride ever on US highway) was a 80mile round-trip in 32 degree weather, at night. haha. (I did have 4 25+ adults with MC licenses in a car behind me though).

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
welcome to the us.

i've visited a few asian countries, and while to my foriegn perception it looked like craziness, i noticed there were very few accidents. i wonder if that's because our society is more hetrogenous than most- the folks on our roads are from different places and don't really understand each other, so it's hard to predict what the other driver will do.

in any case, have fun and be careful.

houston is reasonably close to arizona/new mexico. check the "AZ rider talk" thread in the southwest regional section for our proposed april rally in eastern Az. it features one of the most beautiful and challenging roads in the state.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome to SVR!

·
Registered
667 Posts
i've visited a few asian countries, and while to my foriegn perception it looked like craziness, i noticed there were very few accidents. i wonder if that's because our society is more hetrogenous than most- the folks on our roads are from different places and don't really understand each other, so it's hard to predict what the other driver will do.
I was in Thailand several years ago and I kept thinking how many accidents we would have been in if it had been the US. Drivers there cut things close but didn't hit each other.

Welcome to the board

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys for the welcomes

Yes I grew up riding in trafic that resemblances that of Thailand (or Bombay, India).

It's insane to say the least. But as everyone is predictably unpredictable, it trained me to be very cautious whenever I'm on 2-wheels. Checking both directions when crossing an intersection becomes second nature (be it my protected turn or a green light)...

Driving cars in that kind of traffic was very fun too. ;-)

Oh I got my bachelor here a while ago and left, just came back recently to finish my masters and decided to ride this time. So I'm not exactly new to the US, only new to its roads on 2 wheels :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts