Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
I wonder how terrifying a modern two-stroke 750cc triple would be? Give it forced induction as well.
Hmmm...

I wonder if there's a market for motorcycles with 'tame' amounts of horsepower such as the SV650, that are generally forgiving to ride, but still have good suspension components? The closest that I can think of is a Street Triple R or Ducati Monster, but they're also both naked bikes. The Fazer is the next closest thing I can think of that has a fairing, but from what I've heard they have the same low-end suspension problems of the SV, and are only half-faired.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
How does one "cross plane" a triple?
They're trying to carry over their I4 advertising fizzle.

Triangulation would be more accurate.
The marketing execs can't spell it.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
They probably mean the crankshaft/cylinders are spaced 90 degrees apart.
if they were 90 degrees apart, there would be 180 degrees between 2 of the journals. i think they would have to be 120 degrees apart.

·
Registered
731 Posts
They probably mean the crankshaft/cylinders are spaced 90 degrees apart.
I'd hope the crank pins aren't placed 90* from one another, as that'd cause terrible balance issues. I'm assuming the Triumph and MV use a 120* layout..

But if you listen to the Yamaha triples from the 70s they do have a funny sound that is different to the Triumphs, so who knows..

·
Registered
905 Posts
if they were 90 degrees apart, there would be 180 degrees between 2 of the journals. i think they would have to be 120 degrees apart.
nah, they don't have to be fired like that. Think of the V-twin on the SV650, it's 90 degrees apart. There's a good deal of deadspace there.

Or as I am thinking, they are calling it a cross-plane because there's a 180 degree variance. Cylinders 1 and 3 would rise and fall at the same time, while cylinder 2 in on the opposite stroke.

I'd hope the crank pins aren't placed 90* from one another, as that'd cause terrible balance issues. I'm assuming the Triumph and MV use a 120* layout..

But if you listen to the Yamaha triples from the 70s they do have a funny sound that is different to the Triumphs, so who knows..
Triples need a balance shaft anyways even with 120 degree rotational separation. The power pulses are still uneven.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I found an article:

Transitioning the crossplane crankshaft concept to a three-cylinder engine would infer three evenly spaced throws of 120 degrees each, with a balance shaft to offset the resultant rocking couple vibration. Interestingly, this is the layout used in the Triumph and MV Agusta triples. The MV even uses its balance shaft to reverse crankshaft rotation, just as the Yamaha M1 does. Yamaha has released very few details other than its display at the show and some external engine images, so we will have to wait to see exactly what - if anything - differentiates Yamaha's crossplane concept three-cylinder engine from what will be its Triumph and MV Agusta rivals.

Read more: http://blogs.sportrider.com/6781340...le-based-on-crossplane-concept/#ixzz28ivhvRVq
Though, I'm not sure if this is just speculation.

·
MOTORADOR
10,967 Posts
I'd buy that DL1000 in a blink.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would be interesting, but I don't see any reference to an SV in the story.
When I saw this comment I did an edit and moved the upgrade path sentence to make it clearer. Didn't think any one would care.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'd buy that DL1000 in a blink.
I'd think you'd have to blink. Or just hold the eyes closed. Instead of the V-Strom, they could call it the Cyclops Rooster. Oh well, another V-Strom that fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Like a lot of things, the lack of beauty can be easily overlooked if the personality is good.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
another V-Strom that fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
Maybe it's a safety feature?

Too ugly for a cage to miss seeing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts