Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, someone on youtube asked if i was on here, so i thought i would copy my build thread from other forums on to here for all in the SV world to see.

DISCUSSION HERE: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?p=2284539
There is a bit of banter in there from the other forum... so just ignore that :p

bought it with 9000km from the second owner (both women) with a few scratche and signs of being dropped at low speeds.

here are a few pics when i first got it.... dropped it the next day on a ride with my old man when it started to **** down... no damage though :p

First mods came along in about a week :p

New Exhaust, home made Fender eliminator to get rid of that big hunk of plastic off the back, and some nice little indicators.

after that i just rode it for a while until... a woman pulled out in front of me (at low speed, just a scar on my knee to show for it)... so the bike got painted from her insurance company... THANKS GUYS!!!

so after 3 weeks without a bike... catching public transport... this was it!

Sitting on my ute painted in the same colour :D

After that i sold my XB :'( and got the SV a bit of an upgrade.

Firstly there was the ZX10 rear shock. Which worked wonders. and then a beautiful almost brand new '05 GSXR600 front end and **** ME DRUNK!!! what a great upgrade for the price/effort. I spent the weeks after that going really fast and stopping really quickly because i loved the new braking power! (and not bottoming out the forks every time i grabbed any brakes.)

Other little things i have done is:
-FP racing short bendy super duper gold levers
-BMC air filter
-Timing Retard Eliminator mod
-polished wheels with black centers
-removed PAIR system
- probably other things that i have forgotten.

Still need to get some decent pics since the big upgrade.

Next thing to come is an undertail exhaust, just have to work out how i am gonna do it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's been a while since i posted in here, so i thought i would give a lil update.

I had a stack 2 days before chrissy, and i have been waiting ages for some insurance crap to come through.

For the insurance (which was so close to being a write off it wasn't even funny) i'm getting some goodies :D the list is:

- race tail
- new muffler that i am going to mount through the center of the tail (see below)
- rearsets
- new levers/grips/barends/mirrors (same ones)
- new paint job (kind of thinking same colour, or white, but open to opinions.)

so here is the idea behind the exhaust/tail and the progress so far... all copy and pasted cause i'm lazy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey everyone,

So i have been talking up my plans for a while now... so it is time to get started on making them actually happen :D

Firstly, here is the inspiration for it. The Rc211v

I got my new muffler on Saturday and pulled apart the rear of the bike for a bit of a mock up.

From this i have learnt that i will need to shorten the muffler by about 3-4 inches. I will also need to get rid of the rear crossmember on the subframe to get the muffler high enough. I will also need to get a smaller battery too to get it out of the way(i think i'll put it kind of where the stock one is, just off to one side a little bit.)

I am planning on running the link pipe from under the bike (where the primaries link together in that mess under the bike) up through the swingarm right next to the rear primary to keep it nice and neet on the outside of the bike.

Here are some pics.

New Muffler... looks pretty, and matches my helmet.

Where did my body work go!?!

Mocked up on the bike

This is pretty much where i want it to sit, maybe a bit higher

Plenty more progress to come in the next week i hope.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been pretty flat out at work lately, so too busy to get away early enough to get to the exhaust joint to get the bits i needed, but today i decided i could just do some work at home later on tonight. so i went and got myself 2 x 45*, 2 x 90* and 1m straight 2" pipe.

After i got home the plan was to just plan out how i would run it and leave the actual cutting ect. until i could live without the bike for a bit longer... but then, with complete disregard for how i would transport myself in the coming days i got all choppy and now i am at the point of no return.

I have taken off my slipon, and running the secondary pipe back up through the swinger with the primary pipe was just not going to happen (not enough room, If i made new primaries too i might have been able to do it, maybe another time) so outside of the swinger is where it is going.

Here is where i got too. looks like i might not even have to shorten the muffler to make it end up where i want it, and i may even poke it out further than where it is in the photos.

Here are some photo's of where it is going to sit and the first part of the pipe tacked on (i'll probably use a slip joint here in the end)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got some things done tonight. what a productive way to spend a Friday evening!

Pictures speak a thousand billion words... so here is a thousand billion words:

First thing was to get it all tacked together pretty much how i wanted it to have a look at it and plan some changes.

I then decided that the bit around the swinger stuck out too much and it was looking a little close to hitting the swinger under full compression, so i taped the rest in place so it couldn't move then cut that bit out and built a prettier section for it. (also cut the slip joint off the delkevic link pipe and welded it in)

I then decided the back of the muffler was too high and the front was too low, so more cutting out bits and welding in more bits... and here is how i got it looking in the end. There are also some photos of where i plan on putting the battery/ecu/fuses ect. I'll put a heat shield between the exhaust and the ecu, as well as making the battery box as tight as possible. bit of a demo of where the tail light/number plate will go. (ignor the fact that i am using my old FE to hold it in place... it was the easiest thing for a quicky bracket.)

SOOOOOO.

I need opinions now on whether i should change anything about it before i weld it for real.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the offer Ace, but i'm getting a race tail, so no need for any of the original plastics. (i had to break mine a little to mock up the exhaust so they are probably no good to anyone either)

well the actual exhaust part is pretty much done now. Just got it all pulled apart (headers off ect) right now, waiting for my drill to charge so i can clean it all up and paint it.

Started it up too to check if there were any leaks and hear what it sounded like... and OMG... It sounds MINT!!

http://www.youtube.com/embed/W2LbaxoMn_U

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too lazy to rip out the engine today. I'll give you a call during the week and get a hand if thats ok jules.

Got the tail light bracket together, pretty happy with how it turned out. I think i'll paint it silver to match the frame/subframe.

still have to decide how/where to mount the indicators. Any ideas??

next step is the battery box and mounting all the electrics, then drop the engine and paint that sucker!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
knocked off work at lunch time today to go and get some 1.2mm steel to start making the battery box and brackets for the fuses etc.

Here is where i got to:
Battery box, ecu bracket and a couple of fuses mounted.

Engine will be coming out either tomorrow night or the night after so i can paint it all black!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The engine is back baby!!!

Not really much news, just put the engine back in after a few goes of getting rid of a run i had in the paint. all sorted now and looking pretty.

I'll be putting all the bits and pieces back on it tonight including the exhaust now that it is painted too.

things that are left to do before i get the rest of my parts:
- refit everything to engine cleaning/painting things before they go back on
- finish painting battery box and other brackets i made
- chop all excess off the subframe, add a bracket for the muffler to hang from, clean it up and re-paint it
- tidy up all the wiring once the subframe/battery box etc is re-assembled
- paint wheels gold (might get the stuff for that today.)
- fit my current plastics and ride the sucker!!! (i miss riding it... its been too long)

THEN

the parts i am waiting on are:
- Race tail (should be a week or 2 off) which i will need to chop up before it can all go off to paint
- Rearsets
- new grips
- new levers
- new barends and barend mirrors
- MIGHT get a stainless bolt kit for the engine (bit of contrast for the black!)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished painting the wheels the other day and then yesterday....

so i went home at lunch time Via the bike shop with race tail in hand.

First thing was to rest it on there and check the fit... its not the best fit ever, but i'll sort it out, even if i have to chop the tabs off and re-glass them.

Then it was time to get all choppy! Which wasn't as nerve-racking as i thought it would be :p

And here is the result thus far... Im pretty happy with the cutout at the top so far. Just need to sort out the mounting points at the back and think of some way of doing fill panels underneath...

TADA!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
everyone had heard, but noone believed... That XA-Mont ACTUALLY had a ridable motorbike.

For lo these many months, it has sat, having little bits and pieces chopped off, welded on, chopped off again, welded, chopped, glassed, chopped.... you get the idea....

well with no further ado...

it gives me great pleasure to present you with....

some really ****ty pictures of the bike all done :D Rode it to the servo and around the block and didn't die. I do need to actually do my number plate up though :p

The SEXY Exhaust... the main bit i've been waiting to have done the most(and it sounds MINT)

and the new headlight/indicator setup, center mounted with indicators mounted in headlights, buckets colour matched too.

More pretty pictures to come in good time...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so, It is pretty obvious from the pics above that i needed a hugger... so i bought one second hand from AcoupleSVs. (Thanks)

Here it is all ready to have a mold made from it, all waxed and PVA'd (will start this tonight.)

As it is an '05 hugger one of the bolt holes isn't quite right, so i did a tiny little mod (using clay) to it to extend the platform a bit so that i can drill the hole where i need it (and i MAY be able to make other people CF/glass huggers if the process all goes well)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SO STOKED!!!!

it came off the part!!! and it isn't half bad!!!!

There are a few little bits where it didn't quite go in at the edges, but its pretty **** clase and i should be able to clean it up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so... turns out carbon fiber is SUPER hard to work with!

It is a LOT harder to wet out (or maybe just to see when it is wet out) than glass. but here is where i am at anyway (possibly started with an over ambitious project)

i got the first layer on almost perfectly i think (hope anyway, cause that is what you'll see) the second layer was a lot harder and i didn't do the 3rd, i just put a few re-inforcing bits in.

fingers crossed for tomorrow when i de-mould it... i'm not holding out much hope though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.