Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about something. As I understand it, X-rings chains transmit power more efficiently than O-ring chains. However, are O-ring chains more durable? I remember having an X-ring in my old Bandit, and it was short-lived. I recently put a X-ring in my 2000 (about a month ago), and it was fine for the first few weeks, but now I noticed it's loosening up awfully fast.

Granted, I'm running at a good clip at times, but I did so with my old bike and don't remember chains starting to literally sag like this one is doing. Even the old O-ring this replaced did not do this. I just had it tightened last week and it was either slapping or skipping when I throttle off coming back from a roughly 300-mile trip yesterday. It's not a DID, I forget offhand which brand it is.

I'm thinking of dumping it and putting an O-ring back on. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
X-ring and O-ring has nothing to do with transmitting power efficiently. It is the type of seal used on each link and X-ring is supposed to be better since there are more sealing surfaces. With the X-ring it seals twice per side vs. once per side on a O-ring chain.

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
There is not much difference between X-ring and O-ring. Marketing says the X-ring with two sealing surfaces is better than O-ring with one, and more ability to flex reduces drag. Blah blah blah... So long as the grease stays in and the dirt stays out they are both good.

New chains stretch a bit during the first 500miles or so; that may be what you are seeing. Chances are, after the first adjustment, the slack will stabilize and be good for a long time. Towards end of life, elongation rapidly increases again.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
X-ring and O-ring has nothing to do with transmitting power efficiently.
x-rings are alleged to have less friction/less drag as TR sez (not squeezing the rings as hard) = more efficient power transmission

doubt ya could tell the difference by seat of pants

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. There is well over 500 miles on the chain at this time. My trip the other day was 300 miles alone. I'd say there's around ~1500 miles on that chain, hence my concern about it.

My real question here is whether an O-ring chain is more durable. As I mentioned, my previous X-ring on my old Bandit was also short-lived, although I did not experience this stretching so quickly.

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
... My real question here is whether an O-ring chain is more durable.
My guess is the quality of the chain has more to do with durability than ring style. How many miles did you get out of the chain on your Bandit?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts