Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF does SRAD mean? I realize that it is the GSXR, but why? I do not understand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Suzuki Ram Air Direct, I believe.
Whatever that means.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yes, Suzuki Ram Air Direct. In '96 they started using ram air on the GSX-R's. The decals on the taill had "SRAD" on them. Many people ended up calling the '96-'99 750's and '97-2000 600's SRAD's. Mainly it helps denote a particular gen GSX-R as they all had the same body style. Ram air introduces more air into the airbox which helps your top end. You'd get more benefit out of this in the straights on a track. Helps top end power.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I hate when people say they have a Suzuki SRAD. It really shows how smart they are ::). OoOoO you have ram air WOW so many effing bikes have that and are faster than your SRAD what now biyaaatch?!?

·
Registered
744 Posts
evilbologna said:
I hate when people say they have a Suzuki SRAD. It really shows how smart they are ::). OoOoO you have ram air WOW so many effing bikes have that and are faster than your SRAD what now biyaaatch?!?
I say that all the time. It's a very easy way of describing that generation of GSXR.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
SRAD was invented as a marketing gimmick. now its just a way of describing those years of gixxer. kind of lame to me since it originated as a marketing gimmick. i mean does anyone describe their bike as SAES (suzuki advanced exhaust system) or SDTV (suzuki dual throttle valve)? the acronyms are all marketing gimmicks for some technology that makes certain people feel like their bike is more advanced than someone elses.

"wow my new bike is SDTV, and boy can i feel the difference between this bike and last years bike without SDTV." ::)

·
Registered
272 Posts
ridesideways said:
"wow my new bike is SDTV, and boy can i feel the difference between this bike and last years bike without SDTV." ::)
You best watch out, my next bike is sooooo gonna have HDTV

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I don't even have an srad and before this post didn't know which years they included but I believe the reason people use SRAD is pretty much the same as the use of "Gixxer".  Besides, SRAD is easier to say than 98 Suzuki GSXR 750.  

Those posters above me who posted negative stuff, go back your hole.  ;D

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right on, I was pretty sure it was a marketing scheme, automakers and motorcycle manufacturers LOVE acronyms. VTEC, V V T, DOHC, OHV, EFI, and so on FOREVER. I just wanted to know what it stands for, thanks for the replies. My SV has DAR (dumb-ass rider), NRAEFI (non ram-air electronic fuel injection), and for that extra speed, DIT (dents in tank). I could come up with these all day. ::)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts