Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my bike ran out of gas for the 2nd time in as many weeks, something must be wrong with my electrical because no warning light either time. so i had some work to do got it done and 2ish hours after i ran out of gas i go back to my bike 1 gal fuel can in hand. i start pouring it in the tank and a clear liquid starts coming out of an overflow tube near my clutch that i THOUGHT was for coolant. i check it and its gas! about 1/4 of a gal comes out of it as i pour the rest in. this has NEVER happened before and i freaked. any clues, info, advice, tips, etc?!

there is is the tube and its a 2001

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Sorry, don't have a clue what is wrong, but what year is your SV?
There should be two overflow tubes - one for coolant and one for gas. Generally speaking, I don't think gas should be coming at unless the tank is overfilled.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like your float is stuck down or the float bowl needle isn't sealing thus allowing the fuel to keep flowing until the float bowl overflows and goes out the vent.

This has happened to me on other bikes fairly frequently, especially if they have been allowed to sit for any time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like your float is stuck down or the float bowl needle isn't sealing thus allowing the fuel to keep flowing until the float bowl overflows and goes out the vent.

This has happened to me on other bikes fairly frequently, especially if they have been allowed to sit for any time.
can i fix this/ how?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Riding with my friend and his 1990 FJ this weekend, he was shipping fuel from the carbs too. Ethanol based degradation of the float seals. You keep fixing, it keeps degrading. 80 miles later, he was out of gas, I was just over a gallon down.

·
Registered
243 Posts

But before a bad float needle can cause a problem, the vacuum activated petcock needs to malfunction. If the engine isn't cranking there is no vacuum to open the petcock, so fuel shouldn't be flowing anyway. I would start with checking the petcock by disconnecting the fuel line and seeing if fuel flows with the engine not moving when you fill the tank. Then when you apply a vacuum to the petcock's vacuum port the fuel should start flowing - and cease when the vacuum is removed. If the petcock is functioning correctly then the float valve(s) are next in line to cause a problem - but trace the hose that is dripping fuel when you fill the tank; it would need to be coming from a carb overflow port to indicate the float valve(s) are a possible culprit. As far as your bike not giving you an idiot light when the level gets too low - that could be the float in the fuel tank sticking, or an electrical issue from the sender.

Be methodical....

·
Super Moderator
8,945 Posts
Might be a cracked/rusted vent or overflow tube inside the tank. If either is cracked, fuel will leak down to that level.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You really need to trace the origin of the hose that is leaking the fuel for anyone to be of any more assistance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it goes up from where the pic is and splits into 2 around the tank hinge one line goes into the bottom back of the tank and the other looked like it went into the engine but i couldn't tell for sure i will have to retrace that other part when i have more time later.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
That drain line is for the 1) fuel cap overflow and 2) coolant overflow.
They T together directly behind the gas tank.

If it's leaking fuel, it's coming from either
a) Fuel is getting above the cap into the drain tube that goes inside of the tank and exits the rear (not likely that it's getting past the rubber grommet on the fuel cap unless it's rotted and you overfilled the tank or filled it as high as humanly possible) or
b) the drain tube that goes inside of the tank is rusted and now leaking fuel through it.

Leave the bike outside in a good rain (or just wash the bike and get plenty of water on top of the tank fuel cap) and the water will go into the recess of the fuel filler cap and go into the drain tube, thus leaking into your gas tank.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok well i was filling it with a fuel can and there was prob some leakage over the cap, thx for your help, now what could be causing the lack of a fuel warning light?

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Bad plug/connection for the wiring or damaged sensor.
I'd drain the tank and remove the sensor to inspect it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts