Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently the toolkit that came with my bike has a sparkplug socket thats too big for the spark plug! it will not go into the hole, i need a 5/8's but all of the ones at autozone/auto parts are small!

Also, if i get an extension, its too long for the 5/8 socket to get into the hole from the radiator side and i can only strecth the readiator out so far, how do i accomplish this without having to flush the coolant just to change a spark plug!?

Also, once i change the spark plugs, and start the bike, how will i know if one of them is bad?

-Thanks.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Apparently the toolkit that came with my bike has a sparkplug socket thats too big for the spark plug! it will not go into the hole
I guess that's possible, but it does seem unlikely. Are you certain that you're actually using the spark plug wrench and not one of the other tools? I seem to remember that the toolkit includes an axle wrench which is vaguely spark plug wrench looking (in that they're all just slightly shaped tubes...) The spark plug wrench is two joined tubes that are pinned together.

i need a 5/8's but all of the ones at autozone/auto parts are small!
You do want a 5/8" socket, but it's going to recess into the hole quite a bit.

Also, if i get an extension, its too long for the 5/8 socket to get into the hole from the radiator side and i can only strecth the readiator out so far, how do i accomplish this without having to flush the coolant just to change a spark plug!?
Yeah, that's great, isn't it? I use a 5/8" spark plug socket along with a 3 inch extension. I wedge a 2x4 between the radiator and the front cylinder which gives me just enough space to work with, but it's a near thing.

I assume the engineers had much smaller hands that I have, or were comfortable putting the radiator hoses under more tension than I am.

Also, once i change the spark plugs, and start the bike, how will i know if one of them is bad?
"Bad" as in not causing the cylinder to fire? It'll run rough, sound odd, and the exhaust header will be cold. If "bad" just means "not quite right", it'll run rough.

Every time I've changed out my plugs, it seems to have more power and run smoother.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the spark plug socket that came with the toolkit has a hexogonal end (bigger than 5/8's because i tried putting a new spark plug in it and it just turned freely) it then has a black rubber ring inside which i assume catches the plug to be pulled out. Then at the end, there is a small hole, and looks like a slot that a flathead screw driver would fit into to turn.

That is the spark plug socket?

If not, then my toolkit did not come with one :S

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope, that was NOT included...

What im talking about is a one piece thing (and its got rubber ring inside)

about 3-4" long.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just tried removing the front plug using a 5/8 socket and 3" extension and after pushing it in as far as it would go and turning and turning and turning, it because obvious the socket wasn't engaging the plug. Is the Suzuki took required? I bought my SV used and it didn't have a toolkit.

Anyway, at 12,500 mi., the bike runs fine, so I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I just tried removing the front plug using a 5/8 socket and 3" extension and after pushing it in as far as it would go and turning and turning and turning, it because obvious the socket wasn't engaging the plug. Is the Suzuki took required? I bought my SV used and it didn't have a toolkit.

Anyway, at 12,500 mi., the bike runs fine, so I'm not worried about it.
My Craftsman socket worked, but I did have to remove the radiator first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts