Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got hit coming through an intersection the other day. Not a big deal, I'm okay and so was the driver that hit me, the SV on the other hand, ugh, it's questionable which way this could go.
The insurance guy came out and didn't total the bike, but it's close. It was like every little part that costs some money got hurt and the insurance company is now giving me the runaround.

If my SV gets fixed, AWESOME
If it gets totaled and I have to get another bike, FINE

I found a few for around 5,000$ that are what I've been wanting to get into, but I'm just not familiar enough with them. I found the following...
2006 Yamaha R6S
2004 Suzuki GSXR-1000
2008 Kawasaki ZZR-600

These bikes all look to be pretty clean. The ZZR is stock, the GSXR and R6S both have aftermarket exhausts, fender eliminators and aftermarket turnsignals. The R6S has a.... paint job... on it... not my thing, but paint is cheap.

Anyways, the ZZR I have the impression the it would be much the same as the SV as far as power and handling, maybe not quite so soft with the suspension (I'm 6'3" and 250lbs, my SV was starting to hate me), but still pretty tame.

I've ridden a few other bikes with a bit of power from those years and it doesn't worry me or feel totally unmanageable like some of the new superbikes do. Any thoughts moving from the SV650S to the R6S or Gixxer1000. What's the weight difference feel like?
Does the front end of either feel like its gonna wash out in the corners like the SV?
Any guesses at Fuel Consumption?
How do they do with the tires on the road or at the track?
Any overall gripes or praises that I should know about?

Just trying to get an idea here. I've had my SV since it was new in 2007 and have put quite a few miles on it, but have been itching to get something bigger for the last few years. Any thoughts or input would be great.

(PS. trying to stay away from the tuonos, triumph naked triples, monsters, super hawks, etc etc etc. Definitely more toward a fully faired sportbike)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks man. I'm good, I'm only 24 so I'm pretty sure I'm made of rubber and magic :) I can't wait to get back on a bike and start riding again, this insurance stuff is killing meeee

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
(PS. trying to stay away from the tuonos, triumph naked triples, monsters, super hawks, etc etc etc. Definitely more toward a fully faired sportbike)
Well there goes everything I was going to recommend.

You've got a pretty big spread in performance/niche with those 3 bikes. Might be a good idea to spend some time thinking about what you'd like in your next bike and then go from there.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My experience is that the SV is strong off the line but the power tapers off, a 600 I4 is weak off the line and you need to keep the revs up for power. A literbike like the GSXR1k is strong everywhere - the best bet for street riding for an experienced rider.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well what exactly is wrong with the SV? You said little parts so I'm assuming plastics and gas tank and such (of course add some more). I'm riding an SV with a salvage title but it runs totally fine, had to replace of of the rearend and the tank and plastics and now its good to go.

·
Banned
686 Posts
Ducati is offering some great deals on 2012 848 EVO's.

Our shop is tacking on a 14T front sprocket, Termignoni Silencer kit, 600-mile service, and Comp. Werks FE for FREE with the purchase of a 2012 848EVO.

We make regular trips to the DC/Baltimore area, so future service isn't a problem either. :thumbsup:

PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
476 Posts
yep, power on the 600's is not to be found under 8000 RPM, and above 8000 RPM you are probably exceeding the speed limits around town.

Insurance will probably double or triple on each of these bikes as they are considered sportbikes by insurance companies, not a standard like the SV.

Suspension I would say is better on all of these bikes compared to the SV, although I don't think any of them have upside down forks. Maybe the GSXR does.

On the track, these bikes are stronger on the long straights. Higher top speed. Keep it in the power band and they will eat up tires at least twice as fast as the SV. The GSXR will eat up a set of tires in probably 2 trackdays.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I only have experience on the R6... and I loved it. Maybe it was the body positioning, but it felt extremely well planted and was pretty effortless through curves. All around great bike, imo.

I'd go to a shop and test drive or sit on a few and go from there. After you decide on the cc's, of course.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well there goes everything I was going to recommend.
Lol, yeah sorry. I had tried to find another thread at first and found a few where those bikes were being mentioned. The newest Tuono is totally badass though, but I just can't justify a brand new bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well what exactly is wrong with the SV? You said little parts so I'm assuming plastics and gas tank and such (of course add some more).
You are totally on the money there. The crash was pretty low speed, but just enough to damage all the little bits, which apparently added up to almost the value of the bike, but not to the point of being totaled.

I was worried the insurance company might turn the estimate into a total loss but they sent the moneys and I got it yesterday.

SHOPPING SPREE!!! I'm skipping all the stickers and emblems, and anything else that doesn't have a function besides looking pretty. Today I ordered the new fairing and bracket, front brake lever, mirrors, bar end bits, footpegs, new muffler, front brake fluid reservoir, and a few other things.
The upholstery on the passenger seat is torn though, I wanna find a hard cover/solo cowl for it but couldn't (they used to be so abundant, but not anymore??)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How about something like an RC51?
Did you see Lord of the Rings?? An RC51 would be my Precious.... I love those bikes (drool) but haven't ever had the chance to ride one. The check came though, and I bought some new bits, so the SV gets to live :)

I am building a Yamaha and should be finished this winter. That thing will be ridden to make sure all the kinks are out of it, and then sold off. I'll have some money to play with then and an RC51 is definitely at the top of my list of dreambikes, I just can't seem to find one local enough is all, which is why I was leaning towards the GSXR

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
The RC51 I rode was such a radical change to riding position...The bars are so low that I felt like I was on my hands and knees. I didn't have the guts to really whack it.

My friend said my SV felt like a cruiser to him.

I also rode a ZX-10R and didn't really whack it too hard either, but I felt like my SV was snappier, though the ZX-10 is actually way faster--it's just so smooth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do what I did when I sold my SV, pick up a used aprilia tuono. V twin sound, torque, power delivery, in an italian package. One caveat, aprilia has almost no presence in the US so dealership support will be almost non-existent.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My friend said my SV felt like a cruiser to him.

I also rode a ZX-10R and didn't really whack it too hard either, but I felt like my SV was snappier, though the ZX-10 is actually way faster--it's just so smooth.
I share those feelings when I rode my SV and ZX-10R back to back.

The upright position and the V-twin rumble made the SV felt like a cruiser, sort of, if I let my imagination go.

The SV felt very snappy right off idle due to the much lower gearing. The 10R is geared very tall so it hesitates for a fraction of a second right off idle in first gear, assuming you're using light throttle and not slipping the clutch much, but then the power builds like a tidal wave.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The RC51 is such a good looking bike, and going from the 650 twin to a 1000 twin I think would be much easier than transitioning to a 1000/4. The Kawasaki's have always looked good to me, but every review and video I watch just make them look so damn spazzy. I can't do that, I'll be dead or in trouble far too quick lol
On the note of the aprilia's, I am a fan of the new Tuono with the RSV4 engine, but again too pricey and the lack of dealerships around makes finding OEM parts a little tricky. Ducati's are cool, but too expensive.

Idk, my little SV has been good to me. So with some of the parts coming in on Tuesday, I'll get started on the repairs and maybe take some pictures. All the parts are OEM replacement with the exception of a Yosh RS3 slip on to save some weight and make it a bit louder (after the third time getting whacked by a car, I WANT LOUD PIPES) I'm taking it to a track day as soon as possible (probably March or April) and will be back on the hunt for a bigger replacement road bike then. The SV will probably become a race bike lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so parts started coming in. The Yosh RS3 slip-on got here before everything else, and the install was silly simple. The thing sounds like a 1000, which makes me super happy, hopefully I'll be heard coming from a distance now and my harley buddies will stop calling my bike "the brave little toaster" :)

The one thing I'll say about the slip-on system is that it does have a bit more pep up top, but it feels like it lost a bit of torque too, so maybe I'll add a tooth to the rear sprocket to make up for it? Whatchu guys think???

Also got a Speed and Strength suit from STG... Feels sexy, now my prime outfit for safely making coffee. Gotta break that bad boy in before track season starts up again!

The rest of the parts should be coming in on Friday, I'll keep the updates here, and maybe start something on the 03+ Tech forum...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been getting mixed answers from different sources. The manufacturers' site always says gained HP and torque, but a few SVR track riders threads have suggested that there's a power loss with filters and exhaust (can be dynotuned and mapped to correct). The tuning process can take some time depending on who does it, but the power gains never seem to justify the money spent on parts and labor...

Idk, I'm really particular about performance issues (comes from my Dad) so chances are I'm probably way off and my brain is just being paranoid lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts