Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Although I have no interest in owning a cruiser style bike, it's OK by me if somebody else does. One of my long-time friends is a Harley-only guy, and he is loyal to the brand regardless of some of the nonsense he's had to deal with (he and his wife do put some serious miles on his bikes, though). I've also known a few people who swear by old English bikes, although I suspect they enjoy the challenges of roadside repairs, mysterious fluid leaks and strange engine noises.

Personally, I like getting from Point A to Point B (and back again) with a minimum of fuss and bother on something that handles well, accelerates/decelerates well, rides comfortably and doesn't leak anything in the process.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Personally, I like getting from Point A to Point B (and back again) with a minimum of fuss and bother on something that handles well, accelerates/decelerates well, rides comfortably and doesn't leak anything in the process.

Most people (here, at least) don't seem to realize that "handles well" is very subjective. I started out on cruisers and had no friggin' clue what I was missing until I hopped onto my SV. Hell, my mom still thinks that heavier means more stable and safe, hence her love for her Sporty.

I do have to admit, though, the Sportsters are good looking bikes.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
I really like the new XR1200x. I can even see myself owning one.

To all the whiny complaints about "mediocre suspension" and "poor suspension" on the Harley, etc.... well, face it kids, the stock suspension on the SV ain't nothin' to write home about. It took some work to get mine worked out right.

Like anything, mod it to your tastes. The XR could be worked out to rail like a champ, with a little effort. It's all in what you want out of it. :)

And FWIW, no, I do NOT buy into the H-D "culture". :p

Look at that. Beauty.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Most people (here, at least) don't seem to realize that "handles well" is very subjective. I started out on cruisers and had no friggin' clue what I was missing until I hopped onto my SV. Hell, my mom still thinks that heavier means more stable and safe, hence her love for her Sporty.

Very true (on both counts; subjective handling and good looks). My Harley pal took my SV for a brief ride and loved it, and that was with the stock suspension. With regard to looks, I think some of my favorites are the older Ducati 851/888 series, although I have no interest whatsoever in actually owning one. :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think people ride Harleys due to safety concerns. I mean just think about the pummeling you might receive if you pulled up in a place like Sturgis on a SV650. And you're pushing your luck on a sportster as well.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
The Iron 883 sucks because of suspension and an engine that's low on power. Handling characteristics are characteristically a cruiser, so you either live with it or make it better.
I had a '90 883. I agree the engine was pathetic. The suspension was meh. The frame wallowed around like it had a hinge in it. It was fun for its intended use - cruising around the beach at speeds below 60.

However, all the complete bull**** 'knowledge' some of you have about Harley-Davidson motorcycles is incredible. The particular 883 that we're talking about has a very reliable and useful Delphi fuel injection system in a very well built and reliable Evolution engine. If serviced correctly, this Iron 883 will run as long as many of the SV's on this forum. If you take it to a manufacturer-neutral shop for the service, it'll probably cost the same as the SV maintenance too. The Iron 883 is also one of the cheapest bikes Harley makes. For that price the suspension, brakes, and drivetrain suck in comparison to other bikes- much like the stock SV.
I actually had very few mechanical problems with the bike and the PO rode if from California to Sturgis w/o incident. I think it had one minor leak when I sold it.

You really cannot compare any aspect of the 883 to the SV though. The 883 is utterly lacking in engineering. I can understand what the OP is talking about from experience. If you crank the throttle open at 60 mph, the bike tries hard to get out of its own way, but it can't.

The "budget" suspension you speak of on the 883 makes the SV suspension seem like it was engineered by Lotus. Oh yeah, and don't forget the "vibes." Not the Beach Boy good vibes, the bad make your hands numb vibes.

Get your heads out of your asses. Sure, the Harley culture is a heavily molested cash cow that usually deserves jeers. The company that milks that cow, and the bikes that they make, are rarely deserving of such.
Except the 883. If your goal is to find a parking spot at a crowded beach and look "cool" doing it, it will get the job done. If you have to get to the beach using the freeway - fuggetaboutit.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
I think people ride Harleys due to safety concerns. I mean just think about the pummeling you might receive if you pulled up in a place like Sturgis on a SV650. And you're pushing your luck on a sportster as well.
I realize this was meant as a joke... I even LOL'd... but there actually are a couple members here who have ridden their SV's to Sturgis. :D

I bet they got funny looks, too.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Yeah, they might sue me or try to give me a root canal or something.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Bike bashing is stupid. There are plenty of stupid people that think the SV650 sucks. It's all relative. You can nitpick any bike, any manufacturer. Also there are idiots that ride every style of bike. Are Harley's over-priced for what they are? Probably. But the reliability thing is SO WAY overplayed it's not even ridiculous anymore. And the lifestyle blahty blah BS... I have friends that have Harleys and they don't dress like Pirates, also they are cool people. If I had the cash I'd have a Nightster or 48. I'd also have a Ducati or two. Probably a Triumph. Definitely a Honda.

Geez, I might even put up with that chin to have as many bikes as Jay Leno... lol

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Don't dentists and lawyers ride something practical like a BMW and wear Aerostitch suits? Why would they go to Sturgis?
No those people are engineers who are amazed by the level of over-engineering BMW puts into every otherwise simple mechanism on their vehicles, engineers or msf instructors, every msf instructor in this state owns a beemer, except for our newest one, he rides a busa or one of his two goldwings.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
No those people are engineers who are amazed by the level of over-engineering BMW puts into every otherwise simple mechanism on their vehicles, engineers or msf instructors, every msf instructor in this state owns a beemer, except for our newest one, he rides a busa or one of his two goldwings.
As a computer engineer (the guys who bridge electrical engineering [hardware] with computer science [software]), I have to agree with you. Even though my actual job has nothing to do with CompE, I still pour over every high level MC article about the electronics on the new 1k's like the S1000RR.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts