Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran a drywall screw through the tread of my nearly new (<700 miles) rear tire Sunday. I plugged the tire to get home and wonder how safe it will be to ride as is. I mean if the plug were to fail it wouldn't be like having a blow out. Is there a better way to fix it? Should I just get another new tire. :-\

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Although I've thankfully never had a flat on my bike, I would feel perfectly confident riding on a plugged tire (doing my normal street riding).  

Keep a close watch on the air pressure.

If I had to plug it again (as in, 2 plugs in one tire), I might consider buying a new tire...or finding a new place to ride  ;D

There are a couple of different plug/patch styles out there.  The easiest (IMO) to install at home with ordinary tools are the sticky tar string type.  I have put these in many car tires without issue.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I am doing so currently. I plugged a nailed rear from the outside, just like I would do a cage tire, and the plug has held; I've probably put on just under 1000 miles since I plugged the tire and experienced no slow air pressure loss.

Many on this site, some who put on mad mileage (RandyO), have long advocated using a *properly* plugged tire when the puncture does not occur on the sidewall. It is often recommended to plug the tire from the inside.

I used to belong to the punctured tire = throw it away camp, but I'm batting nearly .500 in picking up nails, screws, etc., always in the rear tire and getting tired of forking out cash for new rears every 2-3K miles. Would I go cross country on my plugged tire? No. Commuting and day rides? Sure, even though I'm still a little nervous about the plug and check pressures religiously and carry a tire repair kit every time.

I'm not recommending you plug your tire the wrong way like I did, just informing you that so far it's worked for me. I do NOT ride extremely hard, though...

HTH

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
AlexJ said:
Personally I would want a new tire. Tires are possibly the most important thing on a bike, it's just not worth the risk to me.
what's the risk?  the plug may fail, and the tire will leak down.  it may leak down rather quickly, but it won't be like a catastrophic blowout.  pull over and plug it again.  and either check your plugging technique, or consider a different brand of plugs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Right now I'm riding on a plug, I got a small screw coming down from the Rock Store only had about 2k miles on it and got it plugged so far so good I'm only using it for commuting to and from work and riding here and there. I was actually planning on getting a new tire but the guy that plugged it for me just told me that if I use it for normally use, no burnouts or riding canyons everyday then I can get it plugged and he has had no complaints or problems from doing so, but then again it's up to you.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I riding on 2 plugs right now. I want to get another 1000 miles out of this one before I replace it. If you're really concerned, pull the tire and patch it from the inside with a heavy duty tube type patch kit.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i've rode 1000+miles on plugs but i'd rather get a new tire that way i know i'm safe. tires brakes and suspension are the 3 most important parts of your bike. if i had the cash i wouldn't risk it.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I wouldn't trust the ones you fit from the outside... But a properly fitted mushroom plug is extremely safe. I'd only get a tyre patched in teh central tread, not the side tread, though- just because the idea doesn't appeal as much as anything else.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
catastrophic tire failures happen when the tire suddenly and rapidly completely deflates (ie - blows out).  failure of a plug ain't gonna do that.  riding on bald tires will. 

Ivan said:
In fact, having a plug in such a hot tire would cause it to come out faster than a rifle bullet. Dozens of people have died as the plug shooting out, through the ground, and hits a coal miner.
Is this supposed to be a joke?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I'd ride it plugged, if you're concerned then find a shop that will patch it from the inside... if you're just paranoid then sell it to me for shipping and a couple $$ for your troubles ;)

G

·
Twice I've gotten a nail in a tire with less than 200 miles on it. (I know...maybe I should try riding somewhere else ;) )The first one was a dunlop D205 that I plugged with a generic sticky-rope plug, and it was problem free for about 12,000 miles. After replacing the tire, I looked at the plug from the inside, and it looked plenty happy mashed up against the tire wall. Admittedly, the only reason I know it was plenty happy was because it had been in there so long. My current Metzler has a BMW emergency repair kit plug, and hasn't shown any fluctuation in pressure for 1,000 miles.

I'm completely comfortable with plugs, so long as you have the right kind of puncture. Anything that screws with the steel belts, or is more of a slash puncture, I replace the tire.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I've ridden tens of thousands of miles with plugged tires very comfortably,.

I am nervious when I don't replace the front the same time as the rear, even thought they are still "legal tread" they cannot disperse water like a new tire

·
Registered
330 Posts
I personally have ridden on rope plugged tires punctured when fairly new and ridden them for the rest of their life. I have about a 75% success rate at this. If I were you I would buy a serious mushroom plug system and use it to plug the hole if it becomes a problem or as a preventative measure. You will have the system for future problems and the possibility of failure with that of plug is very remote to say th least. You can look at the cost of replacing he tire as a trade off for purchasing the plug system.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Benda said:
6,000 of 8,000 miles on my z6 have been on a plug. no leaks; only had to add air a few times, more due to air temperature changes than the plug, i think.

i'm dangerous

Yeah!!!!!!!

I am currently running a plugged tire. Out of habit I always check it before I ride, but I haven't had any problems riding with it since I plugged it. Tire has almost 5k on it, probably not near the end of it's life yet, so I'll see where it takes me.

WHooYAA!!!

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
I can't remember the last time I didn't have a plugged tire on my SV. Oddly enough, it seems to be the rear tire that attracts nails and screws like a magnet- usually within 200 miles of installing the new tire!

Somebody please show me a documented case of catastrophic tire failure due to plugging. This topic always raises the "you can't place a monetary value on your life" issue, but I have yet to hear anything more than rhetoric.

Bill

1 - 20 of 34 Posts