Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my short time riding, I've realized some issues with visibility at night. One of these is that in some cases (especially on turns), your head and eyes are pointing in a different direction than your headlight...which leaves you looking through a turn into darkness.

I thought about trying to develop a small, high intensity light that mounted on your helmet like a gopro so that you would have great visibility where you are looking. I talked to some friends and they haven't seen anything like this but thought it sounded cool.

Would you buy something like this? Is there a major flaw with this idea that I am missing?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The new BMW K1600GT/GTL have an adaptive headlight option that offers pitch compensation as well as balancing due to banking angle. Your idea seems to offer the same type of blinding for other vehicles that high positioned off road lights produce. Compensating with headlamp position seems to be the way to go, although an expensive proposition considering what a K1600 costs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There are headlamps for bikers/hikers but they aren't bright enough to do what you'd want on a motorcycle.

I would worry a bright enough lamp would get you cited for having a headlight mounted too high on the vehicle.

If it weren't for oncoming traffic, it would be a great idea. Aside from buying a K1600 like RMAN mentions, you might be better off just mounting some driving lights to your forks.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
i understand the need to look far ahead through turns, but how far ahead you have to look is dependent on your speed. it might be wiser just to slow down to compensate for the limited visibility at night, as there are other variables to consider besides just the mechanics of the turn. one big one that comes to mind is increased presence of animals after dark.

·
Registered
546 Posts
You'd probably be better off wearing night vision goggles than mounting a headlamp... I'd be willing to bet it would be more legal as well.

They should make helmet shields with some kinda anti-glare film though.

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Blinding others aside, technically it would be difficult since any light bright enough to be useful would require high power. Plugging in your helmet or heavy duty batteries strapped to your head is a non-starter. +1 for creative thinking.

·
Registered
732 Posts
it might be wiser just to slow down to compensate for the limited visibility at night, as there are other variables to consider besides just the mechanics of the turn./QUOTE]

+1 Adapt your riding to the conditions around you - darkness is just another of those conditions. Maybe check your options for a better headlamp bulb, you may be able to increase visibility a bit by simply upgrading.

What % of riders ride at night?
To me it seems to be a very small market with limited sales potential.
Oh, I dunno, around 100% of those who ride to work very day, have a bike as a primary mode of transport... There's one or two of us about ;D

·
Registered
272 Posts
The amount and color of your lights is regulated by the states. Most people get away with a lot of inventive lighting, but if you truly mounted a light bright enough to make a difference on your helmet you would certainly get police attention, and a ticket.

·
Registered
368 Posts
http://helmetlight.com/

I often ride in the hills for long hours after dark, especially during the winter when the days are short. It would be great to have one of these helmet-mount lights to see thru the turns. I don't come across too many cars in the hills, especially at night, and it'd be simple to switch off the helmet light when there's oncoming traffic.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts