Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the bug has bit me big time. I need a new bike. Just a little history, I have been on this board for awhile, I use to post a few videos of my old SV650s (smiley burnout) well after the jackass turned in front of me two weeks before my wedding, in July my SV was totalled gone buh bye! So I am looking for a new bike. I really want a SV1000s but am having a hard time finding one for a good price within 500 miles. So the the nest on my list is the Honda Superhawk. This is what I found:

$4500 16,000 miles and its a Honda!!

How do you all feel about the Super Hawk. I have never ridden one. I have been spending a lot of time on my buddies K5 Gixxer 1000 so the power is not going to be a issue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never had a honda blow? Unless you neglect to put oil in it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
thejimdaddy said:
they have limited range and have a habit of blowing up around 26K
gotta disagree.

stumbled into a group ride couple years ago and met a really super smooth ex AHRMA racer atop a dual Erion Racing cann'ed and jetted VTR1000.  Beautiful bike, very capable and enough but not too much power.  What, they make 105-107rwhp?  Would be a nice step up from an SV, especially before the SV1000 existed.  90% of the raw sex noise of an RC51 but a lot more comfortable.

Range is an issue with those huge carbs.  I researched the VTR heavily for a while.  Here is *the* VTR1000 registry.

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/VTR/

Check here to clear any durability issues.  Guys have as many miles on their VTR's as RandyO's got on his SV.  Though a couple of em use a bit of oil...  ;) :-[

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/view/VTR/all/3/1/YYYYYYY/

If my Speed Four pans out to be the daily, sturdy mount I think it is, my SV is gonna help the trade up to either a VTR, SV1K, or '51. Gotta have a high winder and a twin thumper, at least! 8)

·
Registered
571 Posts
i have not ridden one but have a friend who has one. i'd have to check what exhaust he has but it sounds awesome! very wheelie happy if you get to ham fisted with it. range is limited because it only gets 30-35mpg i think. i'm not really a big fan of the looks myself. but if you like it that's all that matters.

G

·
It was my 1st choice for a Vtwin for awhile- I've always had a Honda in the garage (until now) and very happy with all of them.
But when it came doown to brass tacks, I didn't want quite that big of a bike. If Honda had a 600-750 Vtwin that was relatively new I would've bought it. Bring back the GT650!

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I have a motorcyclist or cycleworld article where the compared the SV1k vs the Superhawk.
They basically said that its still a fun bike, although it hasnt changed much at all since its release...They liked the sv more in the end.
I like the curvier lines of the superhawk compared to a SV1kS but thats just me.
I say go for it if you can get it for a good price.
Otherwise, you could get a TLR or TLS (im a TLS guy, im 65% there..)

If you were in central NY, i know a guy with a gorgeous meticulously maintained TLR bumblebee... such a hot bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where at in Central NY? I often travel to Elmira NY

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Im in elmira like EVERY weekend.
I live in homer/cortland.
The bike is in Cortland...
some info- 2001 TLR, approx 7800 miles, 99% stock except for windscreen, never down, wheelied, etc....

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

btw- JIT isnt a company you work for, is it?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
As said before, the only bad rap that bike gets is for it's awful fuel economy and range.

Don't believe the durability bull, that bike is mechanically solid.

·
Registered
301 Posts
dackler said:
Im in elmira like EVERY weekend.
I live in homer/cortland.
The bike is in Cortland...
some info- 2001 TLR, approx 7800 miles, 99% stock except for windscreen, never down, wheelied, etc....

Back to your regularly scheduled program.

btw- JIT isnt a company you work for, is it?
sorry but that looks like even more of a porker than the '51.

i like the blue tillers with a trimmer yet pointer rump

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I like 'em a lot - but the range issue would probably prevent me from buying one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Naw JiT is just my screen name, my real name is J.T. but some times they just call me "J i t" hence the screen name.
That is one sweet TLR I have always lusted for those bikes. How much is he asking? ;D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.