Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on taking it slow and installing only new springs and oil in my front forks..
I wanted to get the suspension in the rear upgraded as well.
Found a guy near me asking this:

06/07 ZX10 Rear Shock with 5xxx Miles in good condition (from what he says) no pictures yet..

I weigh about 165 lbs normally... about 180, 181 lbs with full gear on and I hope to start practicing with a passenger more once I upgrade the suspension.

What do I need to make sure the shock comes with?
Is 5k mileage too much? Will it require a respring?

·
Registered
575 Posts
The stock ZX10r is sprung to heavy for your weight, pass on it (getting it rebuilt and resprung will end up costing you what a used Penske/Ohlins/Elka will if you're patient enough). OEM swaps are economical if you don't need them rebuilt (i.e. you're too heavy for the stock SV hardware), but if you have to get them re-sprung and possibly rebuilt, then you're kinda wasting money. In your case, the stock shock spring rate is closer to being right for your weight than you'll get with an OEM shock swap from another bike.

How many miles have you logged? Track days?

There are other things you can spend your money on right now that will likely help you a lot better than the rear suspension mod given your weight unless you're riding at a more advanced level. For example, are you still running the stock tires? What about brakes (lines, pads, fluid)? More importantly, have you taken a class or an instructed track day? I bet that those will all help your riding more than tossing a few hundred into your rear shock right now.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
The shock should come with the spring and preferably the linkage, but I'm not sure what's needed for the 06 (the ZX14 and an 03 were a little different).

As far as the mileage, 5K should be just fine. From what I hear though, there are multiple shops in Southern California that you could bring the shock to for testing. Research the shops closest to you, take them the shock before you put it on the bike, and see what they'll charge to set it up for you. If they're a good shop they'll offer multiple price points for various services, from tuning the preload and damping to your weight (should be free/nominal if off the bike), to telling you what it'd cost to completely rebuild the shock (shouldn't be worth it for a 5k ZX10)

Edit: I agree with NineseveN, at your weight you would benefit more from a full suspension makeover WAY more than you would with fork drop ins and an OEM swap. There will be an improvement, but again, at your weight it won't be as much as it is for some of us heavier guys. If you start tracking the SV or riding really hard in the twisties, then look into a used Penske and maybe some more advanced front end changes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NineseveN said:
In your case, the stock shock and fork spring rate is closer to being right for your weight than you'll get with an OEM shock swap from another bike. I don't know that I'd run out and buy springs and oil for the front just yet either...
I've heard this same sort of response about the stock rear shock being fairly close for my weight. But I still feel diving in the front and was told if you are above 150 lbs new fork springs are something I might want to look into?
I guess everyone has their own opinion.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've heard this same sort of response about the stock rear shock being fairly close for my weight. But I still feel diving in the front and was told if you are above 150 lbs new fork springs are something I might want to look into?
I guess everyone has their own opinion.
Actually, I was wrong...was on my way to correct it. I was thinking of a front spring rate from another bike. The stock SV forks are probably right for someone about 60lbs lighter than you so yeah, springs and oil up front. Sorry about the brain fart. :(

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I was wrong...was on my way to correct it. I was thinking of a front spring rate from another bike. The stock SV forks are probably right for someone about 60lbs lighter than you so yeah, springs and oil up front. Sorry about the brain fart. :(
It's alright.
Thanks for caring enough to come back and fix it!
My bike has 27k on it. I'll keep the rear stock and see how the front changes the ride.
Would it be worth getting the back re sprung then?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
It's alright.
Thanks for caring enough to come back and fix it!
My bike has 27k on it. I'll keep the rear stock and see how the front changes the ride.
Would it be worth getting the back re sprung then?
Nope, leave the back alone. Springs and oil up front. Check out www.sonicsprings.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, leave the back alone. Springs and oil up front. Check out www.sonicsprings.com
Thanks.
Yep. Already talked to Blair about this.
Said I need .85 weight springs.
Holding off on emulators for now.
Ordering today or tomorrow :rock:
Hopefully picking up a rear stand soon to to do the spring exchange.

Edit: What weight oil do I need to get? I plan on replacing the seals too.
-- Anything else I should look into getting before I open the forks up?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also.. When keeping the original shock, what does this say about me riding 2-up?
Do I just adjust the pre load to the max to compensate for the weight?
I don't really ride anyone over 130 lbs. Usually 110-120 lbs.
And it rarely ever happens.. but when it does.. Wouldn't mind knowing what to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts