Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"It is better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

About a week ago a guy I work with sent a youtube link to me and to another guy I work with. I watched the video, it was his commute home through the twisties on a KLR650 with street tires. The guy riding it knows how to ride and he was having fun in the video so I sent back a response saying that I liked the video and that it is better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Anyway, the other guy in the message got offended and took it as a personal attack on his bike (he rides a 650 Kawi street bike).

I'm baffled personally. The guy who sent me the video laughed when I told him. He said he took it as a compliment and that I was technically correct.

Hell, I rode an SV650 for 3+ years and the bike I have now isn't a whole lot faster than the SV was. I don't think I'm better than him. I've ridden with him in fact and he's a capable rider. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone with that comment.

Not sure why he's being such a drama queen.

Anyway, sorry for the blog post. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Either way you look at it, it could be considered a diss. (You're either bashing his bike or his skillz)

Maybe just stick to "nice vid" next time... which btw, I am requesting a link ;)

Ask to go on a ride with him sometime soon through his favorite twisties and you should be square.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Either way you look at it, it could be considered a diss. (You're either bashing his bike or his skillz)

Maybe just stick to "nice vid" next time... which btw, I am requesting a link ;)

Ask to go on a ride with him sometime soon through his favorite twisties and you should be square.
I wasn't even saying it to him though. I was responding to the guy who posted the vid (he was on the e-mail though and I hit reply all). And FTR, a KLR650 makes less than 40hp.

Oh well, I'll apologize to the diva and be done with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
personally, id probably be a bit offended. sometimes when u reply to things via text or online, they come across differently than u meant them to.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Oh well, I'll apologize to the diva and be done with it.

When I hear that saying, it makes me feel as though I am expected to go faster than a slow bike going fast, even though I am going just as fast as them, sometimes faster, but without buzzzzzing the bejebus out of my motor. Am I really supposed to believe I am going slow in comparison? Some people believe you are actually taking a slow bike and riding it faster, but you are not going faster, you are only running the engine harder in comparison. IMHO, it is a stupid saying, but I wouldn't be offended. When you apologize, just let him know his bike is not only slow in comparison to larger bikes but the music blows too.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
offended dude doesn't know the motorcycle cliches....probably doesn't know how to ride and/or isn't on the forums
and doesn't know he has a slow bike. 650 kaw streetbike? is that the parallel twin? it's not fast by today's standards. but a good rider wouldn't be offended, he'd know where reality was and rock that thing like the klr dude in the vid rocks his slow bike.

i know my sv650 isn't fast, but i ride the heck out of it, at least i try to, and it's a blast. plenty of riders faster than me on sv's, so if i think i'm not going fast enough it's not the bike's fault.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
When I hear that saying, it makes me feel as though I am expected to go faster than a slow bike going fast...
not exactly.
just that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike SLOW, but if you are riding a fast bike fast, that really kicks a$$. :headbang:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Nope, I say that all the time.

·
Registered
850 Posts
When I hear that saying, it makes me feel as though I am expected to go faster than a slow bike going fast
Nah, it's just a saying about how a lot of people immediately go to the 600 RR super sports (or bigger!) without really learning how to ride, hence they ride a "Fast bike" slow. They aren't really enjoying the bike, and tend to be apprehensive in the corners because the "fast" bike is harder to handle (meaning they come into the corner faster, and can get away from you easier with a mistake, so they slow down too much for the corner, and never learn good technique). Where as if you're ringing the neck of a slow bike, you're definitely having a good time.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
if you're ringing the neck of a slow bike, you're definitely having a good time.
My wife's ninja 250r is a hoot to wind up! Something about the motor and exhaust ringing and bazinging.......sounds like it is going to rip a hole in the atmosphere. But I do have just as good of a time on my 1K @ half the rpms.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
and doesn't know he has a slow bike. 650 kaw streetbike? is that the parallel twin? it's not fast by today's standards. but a good rider wouldn't be offended, he'd know where reality was and rock that thing like the klr dude in the vid rocks his slow bike.

i know my sv650 isn't fast, but i ride the heck out of it, at least i try to, and it's a blast. plenty of riders faster than me on sv's, so if i think i'm not going fast enough it's not the bike's fault.
KLR dude is definitely a good rider. He's the kind of guy who would go up to Palomar with his wife on the back and drag knee with her pushing him to ride faster (for those who don't know, Palomar Mountain is a very tight, very technical 10 mile ride here in the local mountains, it is kind of the holy grail for sport bike riders in San Diego). He has owned supersports in the past but rocks it pretty hard on the KLR. He rides that thing to work almost every day. He's a good dude and he laughed his ass off when I told him about the drama with ER-6N dude.

Yes, the music in the vid does suck. :icon_biggrin: I never heard it until now because my computer at work doesn't have speakers.

Honestly, I think if you can ride a slow bike fast you are probably capable enough to ride a fast bike reasonably fast too. It's more a poke at people who can't ride and buy a sportbike as their first ride than anything. Kind of an inside joke among people who can ride. KLR dude gets it.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Doesn't offend me at all. I say it all the time. I say it about driving, too. It's much more fun to flog a Miata than it is to be foreced to putter around in a Corvette.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I ride an SV and a DRZ and the DRZ is much more "fun" than the SV. Anyone that is offended by that statement has never had the pleasure of riding a slow bike fast.

·
Registered
368 Posts
man i wish that was my commute.. mine consists of 11 miles of interstate and another 10 miles packed with a dozen stoplights and tons of cagers.

as for dude getting offended... sounds to me like he's a bit self conscious about his skills.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Offended broski has confidence issues. Maybe he had a bad experience in the high school locker room after gym class.

I wouldn't worry about it, you meant well.

:vroom:

edit: and if that was my commute, I'd make up all sorts of excuses to go home & back. Lunch? gtg. Poop break? brb.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts