Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stranger brought up this point in another thread so I started a new one to avoid a thread jacking (
).

Who do you all think has the worst/most moto-unfriendly traffic in the U.S.?

[edit: Discuss why-- traffic volume, road condition, poor drivers, etc. Thanks for the idea, stranger 8)]

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally quoted by stranger in different thread: "worst traffic? or worst drivers? i'd say any of the cities you listed can easily compete for worst traffic, but jersey and massachusetts win for worst drivers - hands down"

·
Registered
449 Posts
i remember Detroit being pretty bad. Driving thru there was pretty awful. I think what made it worse, was that I was suffering from a cold. I dont know how anyone can ride a bike there. The road conditions were not what I was used to and I felt some bad bumps, and I was driving an SUV too at the time.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Boston. People passed me on the left all the time crossing the double yellow, while I was slowing down to take a left turn. If I lived there I would cause so much damage....

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
boston is terrible because of the roads, and all the roads out are like a circle around the city
i heard that there are way too many old people in florida, they really shouldn't be driving and thery hit people and keep going

personally, i avoid NYC like the plauge there are like 2 hours that is OK to go through there

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
well the way i see it theres 2 types of bad drivers.. ur nyc drivers who are aggressive...

and then the old people here in florida who dont know where the fuk they're going, can't see over the steering wheel and have no perception of whats going on anywhere. oh and they drive big ass 32 northstar cadillacs and drive slow as balls...

·
Registered
500 Posts
The fastest moving tight traffic I have ever driven in on a regular basis was when I liked in CA. Plus the whole road rage get yo ass shot thang in CA. doesnt help either. Traffic in SoCal is the fastest moving bumper to bumper traffic I have ever seen and traffic on the Bay area is the most packed together traffic I ahve ever seen. I now live in the south which is a whole diff. ball game. Diff. and changing too. You have all these slow paced 50 in the fast lane southerners mixed in with now thousands of Yankies from NY. so it is creating a very frustrated enviorment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
CA is bad. We pay some of the highest gas prices due to taxes added for road improvements. But almost nothing of this is returned to the roads. The roads are terrible considering how many vehicles use them and the tax that is generated. A few years back Sacramento was rated on the top 10 list of worst traffic in the country. No big deal right? Until you consider that the size of the city is nowhere near the top 10 list. It is a real nightmare here. Most people live in the outlying areas, most of which are about 25 +/- miles away. This equates to a 45 min commute; and even up to 65 minutes at times. Sacto commute jams are both ways now, in and out of the city. And, there is traffic on the weekends as well. This is recent with in the last three years.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i would say, based on road condition almost exclusively, detroid is the worst. granted i havent visited every other city in the US, but i feel confident in saying that. ;D the potholes alone, good god. some of them are like bottomless pits. then they put down some "patch work" to fix the hole and that just creates a speed bump...

then there is the road congestion, ok so thats a nice way of saying it. sometimes your Lucky to hit 40mph... i hate traffic.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
sorry, i've driven in california and it was a breeze compared to nyc and nj. my only problem was not knowing exactly where i was going, but the traffic and road conditions were almost a welcome change.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
stranger said:
sorry, i've driven in california and it was a breeze compared to nyc and nj. my only problem was not knowing exactly where i was going, but the traffic and road conditions were almost a welcome change.
+1 CA is a joke compared to NY/NJ, i've driven out in CA too and if I knew where i was going it wouldn't have been bad at all. In the NE we're talking narrow lanes, high speeds, and the highest population per sq. mile in the U.S., most of whom own vehicles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've done a lot of traveling in the US and in my experience NYC is the worst. The streets are a war zone with taxis competing for each inch of space. Boston drivers may be the rudest and the volume of cars in LA and SF is horrible.

As a native Detroiter I agree and disagree with some here. Our freeways are in terrible condition due to lack of funds and having so many 18 wheelers but the drivers are not bad (except left lane hoggers) and the traffic volume is not as bad as many other large cities. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yhea but isnt it kind of a given that NYC is going to be the worst by far I mean that isnt really a news flash or anything. I don't think we should count NYC in this at all.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I spent ten years in So Cal. and six years in NYC.  Los Angeles area has the worst traffic by far.  To me traffic jams/backups is what makes for poor traffic.  That and poor quality drivers.  L.A. is much worse than NYC in both categories.  The taxi cabs may be scary in NYC but they know how to drive.  The major difference is that once you're out of Manhattan, aside from bridges/tunnels, you're mostly in the clear, and weekends are no issue at all.  The LA area is bad for 1000 square miles, at most times of the day, and the weekends can be just as bad.  The traffic is simply pervasive. There's a reason why lane splitting is legal in California and few other places.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've only ever driven in NYC on the weekend and it wasn't that bad then but I really can't say for certain. So Cal is actually pretty good by my persepctive especially when I think about my good ole Washington/ Baltimore Region. I think we just don't have a large enough infrastructure and then we are absolutely terrible with the rubber necking, worse then other cities Ive been in. The guy that mentioned Sacramento is really right on too. That city should not have anywhere near the problems they have for the size they are.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the worse traffic in the US is NH Route 106 immediatly after a Nextel Cup race lets out at NHIS

Haven't been to Cali but have been to placel like phoenix, toronto, montreal, nyc,  baltimore,  etc.

Boston is by far the worse I've seen, regular everyday traffic

·
Registered
53 Posts
There was a study on this a yr or so ago. I think it was LA followed by DC. I can attest for DC. The study was by road if I recall correctly. I think we had 3 of the top 10. There was also something recently about vacation traffic, we won that one too. :D

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
I'm gonna have to say central FL- land of the non-English speaking, no insurance having, never finished ricer project cars. Plus our highways are constantly under repairs, road construction iisn't able to keep up w/the population growth, and where the 5-0 feel compelled to pull ME over when I'm speeding (coming off a beautiful clover leaf on ramp) and not the guy in the smoking POS w/no fucking tag on his fucking car going by yelling at the cop who's giving me my ticket! :mad:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts