Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I DONT WANT TO POP A WHEELIE! ;D

First I am experienced with dirt bikes and 4 wheelers ect, but with street bikes I'm rather new, and since I've picked up my svs I've been pulling away from stops like a granny always thinking in the back of my head that if I give it too much the front end is comming up. However I don't know if this is true hence my question. Is this something that I should be concerned about with my sv? I see so many others on other sport bike just givin er' from a stop and the front wheel never leaves the ground, is bringing the front end up really not that easy? Granted I don't want to start tearin ass like a lot of tarts I see but I would like to relieve the concern from my thoughts if I don't have to be worried about it.

I realize that if I am on the throttle and then just pop the clutch there could be a possibility (used to do it all the time OFF ROAD) but I keep good clutch throttle sinc while on the street.
thanks to all who reply

·
Registered
397 Posts
hehehe in my old katana, no matter how hard i tried to pop a wheelie, i couldn't :( but now that i have a friggin V-Twin wheelie monster...I'd ease up on the throttle. I don't plan on intentionall popping a wheelie ever again...i love this bike too much...but you don't have to go slow like a granny or anything, most bikes are kinda hard to pull a wheelie unless your really pushing the throttle and shifting your weight to the back...so don't have to give it like a 5 degree turn on throttle while starting out...but maybe some of you more experienced sv riders could enlighten me and Dizzle... :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just take your time and feel it out.  You'll know how much throttle you can give for a given clutch position in no time.  

To answer your question,  you can wheelie the bike if you add too much throttle and let the clutch out too fast.  Just watch any Lightwieght Supersport race start.  There is always a couple of SVs doing the loneranger dance.  ("Hi Ho Silver" always goes through my mind when I pass them :) )

·
Registered
430 Posts
once the clutch is out you can give a nice smooth but really fast full throttle and be fine. where you need to be carfull is if you just super quick and abrupt "whack" the throttle then it might come up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
it'll never happen. not enough power. The wheel, might go aloft a few inches if there is a bump, but dont worry about looping your bike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've craked mine open about as hard as it can go, and the whell has never come up. It seems that once the clutch is all the way disengaged, no amountof throttle will bring it up, for me at least.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In addition to all the other throttle and clutch control advice..be sure to keep your weight forward on the bike...lean in a bit to ensure your weight is on the frontend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you roll on nice and smooth to 5000 you can then pretty much whack it and be fine.  I have brought my front end up by jumping on it below 5000 with the clutch all the way out.  If you do a nice roll on and than whack it at about 4500-5000 you will be fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
pm1964 said:
I've craked mine open about as hard as it can go, and the whell has never come up.    It seems that once the clutch is all the way disengaged, no amountof throttle will bring it up, for me at least.
+1

i've tried to wheely without any clutching at 5krpm's and can't... even leaning/pulling back while "whacking" the throttle only gave me about a half inch of lift... i wouldn't worry about it at all.. you've got to want to do a wheely to actually do it

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can power wheelie it in first faily easy, but you have to *try* to do it. I launch the shit out of my SV all the time and the front wheel comes up like 6 inches max. You wont have any troubles, just have fun.:)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah you don't have to worry bout the sv going up on ya. The only way i get to do it is with clutch work or by bouncing it up in first gear with the throttle. Then you can loop the sucker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts