Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... so... what would happen if say... you forgot to install cush drives when you re-install the rear assembly.

Or... what happens if you have worn cush drives?

Symptoms?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Without the rubbers....you'd know.

The sprocket would have so much "slop" and metalonmetal grinding the bike would be "unridable" as you alternate from on throttle to off throttle.

As for "are they worn out", what type of symptoms are you experiencing?

Are your chain and sprockets stock and in spec (1" of play up to down when you are fully geared up, sitting on the bike with someone else balancing the bike, and yet another measuring the play)

If you are experiencing more "slop" on throttle transitions, you may have a streched chain or worn sprockets.

--
Alternate senario:
If your chain is in spec and properly adjusted, your sprockets are new.

Put your bike into gear, sit on the saddle and rock back and forth on the bike.

How much "slop" do you notice?
An inch or two?
Or way more?

Only if you are getting "excessive slop" while standing still in gear, would I consider the cush drive as being worn out and in need of replacement.

I've yet to see the need to replace them on my SV after 70k+ miles of aggressive lane sharing.

(However, I do go through a chain and sprocket set every year... )

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the factory cush drive is not likely to wear out before the engine.
Well, I don't have a factory cush drive (at least, not from the Suzuki factory)

Loud "click" when the rear wheel locks up, another "click" when it regains traction.

Chain and sprockets are fresh (less than 2k miles), no excess chain slack. All 4 lugnuts on the rear wheel are tight also.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You can tell if it's time to replace the rubber cushions pretty easily. Put the bike in gear. Push forward until you are pushing against the engine. Make a small mark between the sprocket and the wheel hub. Now roll backward until you are pushing against the engine. If the marks are more than 1/8" out of line consider at least disassembly and inspection.

It can be hard to tell just by looking. Tight and loose spots on the chain can be an indication. Too much "snatch" is another symptom. The sprocket running out of round is another.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
You can tell if it's time to replace the rubber cushions pretty easily. Put the bike in gear. Push forward until you are pushing against the engine. Make a small mark between the sprocket and the wheel hub. Now roll backward until you are pushing against the engine. If the marks are more than 1/8" out of line consider at least disassembly and inspection.

It can be hard to tell just by looking. Tight and loose spots on the chain can be an indication. Too much "snatch" is another symptom. The sprocket running out of round is another.

heheheheh...he said snatch

·
Registered
68 Posts

So cush drives do wear out? I have an 05 w/ 25k and the cush hub is loose! Not causing any real issues other than being a real PITA when changing tires. I also wonder if it wouldnt ride much smoother after replacing them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts