Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I've been hitting the mountain bike HARD lately. I will find out this weekend if it helps.

^^^Not a lot of info, just wanted to subscribe to thread. :happy1:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I used to run. I haven't been able to get to the track due to school one year and finances another. So I haven't been running and have put on weight.

For those who don't regularly exercise, stretching is highly advised.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Track walk. :hiding2:

Actually, we do this drill at kung fu class called "yes and no drill."

Basically, you lay on the mat, pick your head off the floor and alternate nodding and shaking your head every 15 seconds for at least 2 minutes without putting your head back on the mat. I find it helps to strengthen your neck muscles, which keeps your helmet and head more stable at speed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bicycling seems to be the training exercise of choice for the pro's.

I started mountain biking this year, and I love it. It's a great workout and an absolute blast on the right trail, and not as monotonous as running or road cycling.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Cardio, dead-lifts, and squats seem like a good idea.

Dead-lifts and squats improve strength primarily in your legs and core. Very good, complete exercise. One thing though, it's very easy to hurt your back when doing these if your form isn't good. I need to go to a gym or something and have someone show me how to do them.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Bicycling and weights (low weight, high reps) worked well for me. Haven't tried it, but I bet throwing some yoga into the mix would help too.

You don't need a whole lot of strength, you need fitness and endurance.

DON'T listen to the gym rats at your local gym, their focus is on strength and bulk

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Heavy weights are more for absolute weight and/or mass, not endurance. You're better of doing exercises using your own body weight. Even doing a 20 minute trackday sessions is like doing crunches and pushups for much of that time. It's more of an endurance thing versus absolute strength.

Though I do go to the gym and do deadlifts and heavy bench for benefits not related to riding. I wanna start doing olympic lifts, like snatches and clean-and-jerks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Biking and weights. Lots and lots of cardio helps keep your endurance up and your heartrate more controlled. If you want, I hear lots of great news from Instanity, youtube it and you should see. A lot of my friends have done it and praise it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I've been doing yoga for the last 3 years and the additional core strength and flexibility has helped. Lately I've been doing some strength training and bicycling,along with the yoga.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I try to go up and down 7 flights of stairs 2-3 times per day, every weekday.

Really works out your knees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts