Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 1750 mi on my '04sv650, the dunlop 220s have had it . Dunlop recommends 36/42 psi Suzuki says 33/36. The bike always needed alot of input to turn. When I increased the pressure to Dunlops' specs, the bike turns easily, but the ride is much stiffer. This is obviously how Suzuki gets away with the stock suspension. I think the tires are worn out due to the low pressure Suzuki wants used.

Do I have any recourse with Suzuki? I could sue under implied warranty claim- they used a pressure rating lower than Dunlop recommended. The tires are 2 yrs old.

Anyone have any ideas, or had this problem? ???

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
1750 aint right. 2 years might do something with it though, if they sat for awhile it might be subject to dry rotting although I dont know how that applies to tire wear. If it means anything, I didnt check my tire pressure once with the D220s and I got 4.5k out of the rear and over 10k on the front. Something is wrong.

G

·
evilbologna said:
1750 aint right. 2 years might do something with it though, if they sat for awhile it might be subject to dry rotting although I dont know how that applies to tire wear. If it means anything, I didnt check my tire pressure once with the D220s and I got 4.5k out of the rear and over 10k on the front. Something is wrong.
stock dunlop? really? im at 6k and my back is still full of treads my front however it died cause of a nail :(

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
lyellowdragonl said:
stock dunlop? really? im at 6k and my back is still full of treads my front however it died cause of a nail :(
Yes. But I'm a maniac and I never touched the tire pressure (as in, I was most likely running too low of psi). 4k is bad for D220, they generally do last longer (as in your case).

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i have stock dunlops that only have 500 miles on them...ill sell them cheap to ya....

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I am giving mine away to Roost as soon as I can get the Powers installed.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
maybe you rode through some acid or something... 1700 miles for a d220 doesnt make any sense at all unless you do a burnout everytime you ride :p

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
lensman said:
With 1750 mi on my '04sv650, the dunlop 220s have had it .  Dunlop recommends 36/42 psi Suzuki says 33/36.  The bike always needed alot of input to turn.  When I increased the pressure to Dunlops' specs, the bike turns easily, but the ride is much stiffer.  This is obviously how Suzuki gets away with the stock suspension.  I think the tires are worn out due to the low pressure Suzuki wants used. 

Do I have any recourse with Suzuki?  I could sue under implied warranty claim- they used a pressure rating lower than Dunlop recommended.  The tires are 2 yrs old.

Sue under implied warranty on a wear and tear item? Fat chance.

Maybe you should provide a little bit more information - what pressures you set your tires at, what temps you ride in, what kind of road surfaces you ride on, your riding style...

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I have heard of stockers lasting up to 7500

Their rubber is hard and they are designed for high mileage rather than sticky grip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I havce on 05 SV650S, I burnt through the stock 220' s fast, I think i got 3600 out of them, the rear was dead, completly bald. the front probably could have went longer but it was cupped badly. I went with the Dunlop 208 gp tires when I replaced, almost seemed like a new bike in the corners.

·
Registered
231 Posts
lensman said:
With 1750 mi on my '04sv650, the dunlop 220s have had it .  Dunlop recommends 36/42 psi Suzuki says 33/36.  The bike always needed alot of input to turn.  When I increased the pressure to Dunlops' specs, the bike turns easily, but the ride is much stiffer.  This is obviously how Suzuki gets away with the stock suspension.  I think the tires are worn out due to the low pressure Suzuki wants used. 

Do I have any recourse with Suzuki?  I could sue under implied warranty claim- they used a pressure rating lower than Dunlop recommended.  The tires are 2 yrs old.

Hi lensman,
Just curious at what pressures you were actually using? How often did you check tire pressures? Also what area of the tires were worn out. I'm thinking if you were using 36F and 42R without having the bike loaded to the maximum. That you wore out the tires in the center of the tread do to over inflation.
Also a possibility is the bike has been down and frame alignment was the culprit. I'm not pointing fingers here, only making suggestions for the possible early tire wear.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Ivan said:
If you don't like stiff tires go with Pirellis. They have the softest sidewalls in the business.
I have to disagree and say that Avons have the most flexible carcass due to the variable belt density.

the Azaros I run with 36F/42R psi give a better ride than the Pirellis I run with 33F/36R psi

·
Registered
80 Posts
I guess rider plays a big factor. I currently have 4800 miles on mine and I expect to get another season yet. I am more than happy with the milage so far. Although I do ride aggressively sometimes, it's not my usual riding style.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
i got 6k out of the rear and 10k out of the front before both got scarry

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Considering the way the 220s handle- I'm not too upset. Even with my wider handlbars, it was tough to get the bike to lean at suzuki's 33/36 psi requirement. It's either z6's or Pirelli stradas,
regardless.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
stranger said:
what are you using as your determination that the stockers are done? wear bars?

i have over 5k and will probably get another season out of them unless i do multiple track days...
cant believe... with all the stuff you done to your bike... you havent upgraded tires... for shame! :p

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
wonderjosh said:
cant believe... with all the stuff you done to your bike... you havent upgraded tires... for shame! :p
why do i need to? the stockers work just fine for me so far.

i did my first track day in the rain and i think i managed to outride others with "better" tires.

will i get another set of stockers when it's time? probably not, but i see no need to run out and get new ones before i need them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts