Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DON"T SKIMP ON THE PAINT GUN!!!!

yeah... most of you know this or some of you may have gotten descent cheap paint guns that actually work but I learned the hard way.

spent over $125 on paint and reducer and clearcoat from color-rite... got all my stuff ready... bullt an 8'x8' paint booth in my garage and went at it.

Did undertail first... not bad but gun needed adjustment for second coat. So adjust paint flow a little and brought tank in. Paint gun starts dripping a little paint down the triger... no biggie... it still sprays ok so I continue. A short blast and I notice its sputtering... release triger and notice my paint pouring out the nose of the paint gun in a small stream. I almost crap myself :shock: I could count the dollars in paint spilling on floor as I scrambled the adjustments to get it to stop. Got it stopped and try again with same results. Lost about half my paint figuure about $40 or more worth of it. Had to order more today.

I should have known. This is first paint gun for me. I have a couple of airbrushes and had enough of the cheap models that cause me too many problems so got one nice one. I got an the HVLP kind of paint gun but it was $40 on ebay. Had looked at some professional models that were in the $200 range but wasn't sure I needed one for what I doing and maybe very little use os I went cheap... now I regret it.

So, boys and girls.... it pays to spend a little extra sometimes it seems. :wink:

So, I am not getting a new paint gun though... was lucky enough to know someone in my neighborhood that paints semi trucks professionally for 10 years and does cars on the side that said he would help me out. He is coming over with nice gun to lay down my base coat... then I am going to do my airbrush work (making realistic flames like Mickey Harris) and he is going to lay clear over it all for me. Will post some pics when its finished if anyone wants to see.... it will be the candy blue with flames on 2WJ full fairings, solo seat cover and maybe on hugger a little. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope... mine is different ... different company

after thinking about it... a cheap gun can work... if you get one in good working condition... only it seems cheaper guns are prone to defects and such I think plus are a little more irradic in performance... heard from some people who used cheaper guns successfully... :?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I like my Sharpe Finex.
I painted a 74 Vespa last summer and found the Home Depot "Detail Gun" to do nice work too... the HD gun was $30, I paid $100 for the Finex at the local auto body supplier.

The paint job came out very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i may look into one of those at HD later on when I have time to experiment more with it. I am just gonna let the pro take care of this one for me... I am in too much of hurry to get bike back together... yet to ride this year :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well folks... my pro painter doesn't have time so... doing it myself again.

I ventured to Home Depot and ended up getting a Husky HVLP gravity feed gun for about $80. Took it home and compared it to the one I got off ebay... man what a difference in build quality. The Husky is definitely better built.

So, spent another $90 on paint and reducer to replace what was lost by the cheap gun and I think I am going to knock this puppy out this weekend. Hope to have some pics soon :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
syntheticton said:

I ventured to Home Depot and ended up getting a Husky HVLP gravity feed gun for about $80. Took it home and compared it to the one I got off ebay... man what a difference in build quality. The Husky is definitely better built.

So, spent another $90 on paint and reducer to replace what was lost by the cheap gun and I think I am going to knock this puppy out this weekend. Hope to have some pics soon :wink:
I woulda bought the Sharpe Finex (oh wait... I did! :D )...
My big problem was I had ~30psi line pressure, the gun said to use @ ~30psi so that's what I did... paint job looked like crap, a pro painter then told me I had to have ~70psi in the line and 35psi at the gun with a second regulator. Running the low pressure in the line did not supply sufficient volume and therefore the gun was "running rich" and caused splattering, etc...

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
donniej said:
syntheticton said:

I woulda bought the Sharpe Finex (oh wait... I did! :D )...
My big problem was I had ~30psi line pressure, the gun said to use @ ~30psi so that's what I did... paint job looked like crap, a pro painter then told me I had to have ~70psi in the line and 35psi at the gun with a second regulator. Running the low pressure in the line did not supply sufficient volume and therefore the gun was "running rich" and caused splattering, etc...
I really wanted a DeVlisse model... or an Iwata like my airbrush but had to get something local or wait for shipping.

Yeah, I was kinda worried about having enough air pressure too but my compressor does 95PSI and 2 gallon tank with 2 regulators so... should be fine there i am hoping :wink:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wow I have a 30 gal tank with a 6 hp motor that does well in excess of 100psi and I was worried that I didn't have the volume.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
ronlarimer said:
Wow I have a 30 gal tank with a 6 hp motor that does well in excess of 100psi and I was worried that I didn't have the volume.
You'd be fine Ron.

With a 2 gallon tank I'd keep a close eye on your PSI. I wouldn't be surprised if your problem was running out of air. As long as you keep your line pressure where it should be, you're fine.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah... I know 2 gallon is pushing it a bit but it really was the gun's fault first time... paint was spewing out the tip with no trigger pull or air pressure

I was doing things in bursts... if I had a long stroke... would wait about 15-30 seconds for the second stroke etc. I will keep eye on pressure though this time.

the husky box recommended 2-5 gallon tank and 5hp... well I am lacking on hp but have more than enough PSI as long as you go in bursts

·
Registered
29 Posts
sheesh, i was just thinking about buying color-rite's aerosol cans and just using that to do a quick paint and clearcoat on my race fairings. sorry to hijack, but will the job come out terribly?

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am kinda particular about the finish of my bike so for me... using a can on my large fairings (full fairings from 2WJ)... I want more consistant spray and better finish... but if you are doing this for a race bike... I think you can do a descent job with just can as long as it doesn't drip or sputter. It just depends on what you expect I think.

I paid someone for a paint job that I think was nice but looked rushed and wasn't happy with it... so after a few scrapes on it... decided to sand it all down and do it myself.

·
Registered
498 Posts
styles said:
sheesh, i was just thinking about buying color-rite's aerosol cans and just using that to do a quick paint and clearcoat on my race fairings. sorry to hijack, but will the job come out terribly?
If you take your time and do it right it can be pretty good. One thing to remember is a can will start to sputter near the end so you will have a bit of wasted paint. I sprayed my side covers with a rattle can and I don't think you would ever know.

T

·
0 Posts
X3 on both accounts.

A rattle can works fine if you don't run the can low on pressure and you don't put the layers on thick. Those are the keys. keep the can moving.

FLOW is what makes a great paint gun. Flow is what helps to atomize the paint which gives you good layers. Pressure is nothing without the flow to back it up. If you are using a syphon type gun it won't even come close to working good unless you have a great amount of flow. Gravity feeds are a little better at low flow levels.

Sandblasters are the same way just put to the extreme. I have seem sandblasters that didn't work on 10 working hp compressors with 60 gallon tanks. That is with nothing else on the line.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a Devilbiss finishline gun, which works well. The quality of the cheaper guns is dodgy. you either get a good one, or you suffer. If you dont do big jobs, or you paint infrequently, I would borrow a gun.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tim... when you say flow... is that related to the CFM ratings of a given compressor? I come from airbrushing backgound and never dealt with CFM ratings because it really wasn't that relevant or really an issue to worry over with one airbrush. I have seen CFM ratings and never quite understood difference between that and PSI. I notice most air tools for instance suggest more CFM than my little crattsman compressor puts out.. but some still work ok with it.

I know... I really need a bigger compressor... but I did stay with gravity feed gun and the undertail I sprayed with cheap gun really didn't look too bad... just sanded part of it and will spray again

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spirit of Bunny said:
I have a Devilbiss finishline gun, which works well. The quality of the cheaper guns is dodgy. you either get a good one, or you suffer. If you dont do big jobs, or you paint infrequently, I would borrow a gun.

well... I had built my paint booth for more airbrushing other than bike and thought I might like to have a gun on hand for larger surfaces. I am going out tonight to mess around with making the realistinc flames on some slate pieces from roofing and get the airbrush ready... testing out the new Husky gun by laying black base coat on the slate. Should be fun if not messy :wink:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: word of wisdom when you decide to paint yourself

Tape you eyes :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
syntheticton said:
So, I am not getting a new paint gun though... was lucky enough to know someone in my neighborhood that paints semi trucks professionally for 10 years and does cars on the side that said he would help me out. He is coming over with nice gun to lay down my base coat... then I am going to do my airbrush work (making realistic flames like Mickey Harris) and he is going to lay clear over it all for me. Will post some pics when its finished if anyone wants to see.... it will be the candy blue with flames on 2WJ full fairings, solo seat cover and maybe on hugger a little. :wink:
i met mickey harris at a hooters in dayton last fall.  my girlfriend and i were sitting at a table, and next to us was a man sitting by himself smoking a cigarette.  this guy comes over, points at the tv above our table, and says "do you mind if i change the channel, i'm going to be on tv in a few minutes?"  he changed the channel to speed (i think) for "Car Crazy."  I had no idea who this guy was, he was just some bearded guy with an american flag leather jacket on, so i started asking him some questions.  he tells us his name is mickey harris and he's pretty much the baddest airbrush artist on the planet.

5 minutes later he's sitting at the table with us, telling us about all these awesome trucks he's painted.  We pause for a while to watch his interview.  "Car Crazy" featured 3 segments, 1 on Mickey, 1 on Jay Leno, and the third on a car show.  Mickey's was the last segment and he had more airtime than leno, which i thought was wild, because i've always admired leno.  harris' works were simply amazing. 

but i have to confess that he is probably the nicest and most down-to-earth person i've ever met.  he sat there with my girlfiend and me for 45 minutes just chatting about stuff.  at one point he had to take a phone call from chip foose; apparently he was trying to get his own cable television show and was working with chip (of over-haulin').

On our way out, I asked Mickey what kind of car he drove.  I think his response was "a white mazda mpv minivan."  what a character. 

1 - 20 of 30 Posts