Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, it was fun. It was very, very fast. I can't imagine how people who own SS literbikes don't get arrested. And the 1098 needs another 100cc this year? Sheah, Hright. I'm convinced that people who own bikes like these either: a) have friends who all have radios to alert for police b) will eventually lose their license or c) simply pose around riding at idle too afraid of the bike to care that both the tire sides are still shiny and their pants are full. It's beyond me how it could possibly be fun to own one of these bikes and not take it to the track or do very, very illegal things on the street. It will seemingly wheelie just off idle in 1st gear. I couldn't get WOT in 2nd gear and when I got close the front wheel came up (and it didn't seem RPM dependent). When I finally did get WOT, I was truly stunned. My FZ1 was fast, but this was purely impressive. Just a fury of noise and acceleration that feels unrelenting.

I was impressed with the overall rideablity of the 1098. Shifting was just as good as my SV, braking was ASTOUNDING. The sound that the brakes made was just another good reason to aggressively rev match a few downshifts, accelerate with ferocity, and try them again. What seemed profound to me, however, was just how good the fuel injection is. The power is clearly overkill, but it is so tractable. I could feel exactly how much throttle opening would loft the wheel in 1st gear. It was almost easy to keep the bike at just the right level of acceleration that would make the front float in 2nd. Just amazing. My buddy who also rode the bike commented that he was intimidated before getting on the bike, but surprised at just how easy it was to ride.

I'm now 100% completely convinced that I don't need a bike that fast (or expensive). It's there, I'd get frustrated trying not to use it. I still rank the #1 most fun bike I've ridden as the Triumph Street Triple. Just like the SV only just a bit faster.

·
Registered
26 Posts
thats just insane to have that much power available to someone on the street, its just crazy to know how limitless they can be on the street, pretty much able to break all speed limits in 1st gear is just too fast.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Nice, my local Ducati dealer offered me a test ride on a 2009 Ducati Monster 1100 S. I'm going to have to ride down there sometime this week and take him up on that offer...haven't been feeling well as of late though.

I'll post a report as soon as I do.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats just insane to have that much power available to someone on the street, its just crazy to know how limitless they can be on the street, pretty much able to break all speed limits in 1st gear is just too fast.
What I think is more insane is that all they want from you to ride it is your license and proof of insurance. You could seriously just be out of the MSF course on a 250. I can envision somebody coming off of a 2000cc cruiser and thinking "Well, it's half the bike mine is so it'll be slow...."

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
What I think is more insane is that all they want from you to ride it is your license and proof of insurance. You could seriously just be out of the MSF course on a 250. I can envision somebody coming off of a 2000cc cruiser and thinking "Well, it's half the bike mine is so it'll be slow...."
You don't even need that to buy one. Hell, they'd probably deliver it to you for free.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My friend's cbr 1100 blackbird w/ filter/tune/exhaust is like that. Frighteningly fast. No idea how he's still alive.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Yeah, it was fun. It was very, very fast. I can't imagine how people who own SS literbikes don't get arrested. And the 1098 needs another 100cc this year? Sheah, Hright. I'm convinced that people who own bikes like these either: a) have friends who all have radios to alert for police b) will eventually lose their license or c) simply pose around riding at idle too afraid of the bike to care that both the tire sides are still shiny and their pants are full. It's beyond me how it could possibly be fun to own one of these bikes and not take it to the track or do very, very illegal things on the street. It will seemingly wheelie just off idle in 1st gear. I couldn't get WOT in 2nd gear and when I got close the front wheel came up (and it didn't seem RPM dependent). When I finally did get WOT, I was truly stunned. My FZ1 was fast, but this was purely impressive. Just a fury of noise and acceleration that feels unrelenting.

I was impressed with the overall rideablity of the 1098. Shifting was just as good as my SV, braking was ASTOUNDING. The sound that the brakes made was just another good reason to aggressively rev match a few downshifts, accelerate with ferocity, and try them again. What seemed profound to me, however, was just how good the fuel injection is. The power is clearly overkill, but it is so tractable. I could feel exactly how much throttle opening would loft the wheel in 1st gear. It was almost easy to keep the bike at just the right level of acceleration that would make the front float in 2nd. Just amazing. My buddy who also rode the bike commented that he was intimidated before getting on the bike, but surprised at just how easy it was to ride.

I'm now 100% completely convinced that I don't need a bike that fast (or expensive). It's there, I'd get frustrated trying not to use it. I still rank the #1 most fun bike I've ridden as the Triumph Street Triple. Just like the SV only just a bit faster.
I have the same reaction everytime I ride GSXR1000/CBR1000/R1/ZX10. It's impressive, awesome, incredible...and in the end fun for just a little while. The problem is that you can't ride the bike hard for more that a couple of seconds before you're in "go to jail" territory speed-wise. You're always backing off, looking around and never getting into a good flow of just riding.

Overall the SV is muuuuuch more fun.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the same reaction everytime I ride GSXR1000/CBR1000/R1/ZX10. It's impressive, awesome, incredible...and in the end fun for just a little while. The problem is that you can't ride the bike hard for more that a couple of seconds before you're in "go to jail" territory speed-wise. You're always backing off, looking around and never getting into a good flow of just riding.

Overall the SV is muuuuuch more fun.
the duc is much sexier though :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
How perfect would it be if Ducati made an 848S or 848R? Nice "middle weight" V-Twin power with upgraded suspension and brakes (maybe even some upgraded wheels and internals). Thats would be my dream bike!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
How perfect would it be if Ducati made an 848S or 848R? Nice "middle weight" V-Twin power with upgraded suspension and brakes (maybe even some upgraded wheels and internals). Thats would be my dream bike!
Yeah, I was really hoping that they'd come out with an 848S in yellow this year. No joy though. :(

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yeah, I was really hoping that they'd come out with an 848S in yellow this year. No joy though. :(
I never understood why they don't adhere strictly to the S setup. If I remember correctly, they stopped selling the 1098 because everybody just bought the 1098S. It's what everybody wants. Just make it that way and knock up the price tag a bit.

I'm was a big fan of the white, but when you go see them in person that red is hard to beat.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Regarding the 1098 and 1000cc Superbikes in general, I believe strongly in the old axiom that ..

"It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"

... at least on the street.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Regarding the 1098 and 1000cc Superbikes in general, I believe strongly in the old axiom that ..

"It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"

... at least on the street.

True... Last week I rode my buddies R1 for the first time, simply amazing for about 2-3 seconds then fear took over as I approached the necessary 88mph.
Still trying to figure out the year. ???

However, the funny thing was - he didn't want to trade back. HE LOVED the SV in the twisties while I was scared to death to come close to the power band. Now he's talking of trading the R1 for an RC51 or SV1KS

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm convinced that people who own bikes like these either: a) have friends who all have radios to alert for police b) will eventually lose their license or c) simply pose around riding at idle too afraid of the bike to care that both the tire sides are still shiny and their pants are full.
None of the above.......many of them I know around here stay in the mountain twisties and are smart enough to know where and when to open it up. You can simply haul tail around here in most cases......and when near the mountains, it is very easy to outrun the cops if you know the roads and how to ride your bike......but even a good rider on a Ninja 250 can smoke a cop in the curves.

Your mentality reminds me of how I used to think when I was living in the flatlands. I couldn't imagine why sportbikes were allowed on public roads, as I couldn't see any purpose in them. I bought a cruiser because, well.....I lived where all the roads were flat and straight. Once I moved to the mountainous regions, I was smacked in the face for a rude awakening.....I perfectly understand why we have sportbikes on public roads, now. :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
this is why they make the 848 :vroom:
My 748 can do around 150 mph without too much trouble......the 848 is better in what regard to too much power or illegal speeds? Heck, most people can't handle a Ninja 250 anywhere near it's capabilities......unless you're talking about straight-line speeds. I do know some guys who are very, very fast and well skilled who ride GSXRs (750 & 1000), ZX-10s, and many other powerhouse bikes. Fortunately, they are starting to do trackdays on a regular basis. Unfortunately, they haven't slowed down on the street and still do 2-4 times the speed limit (we have one straight that is marked 40 mph, and I KNOW they've gone well over 150 through there, as they passed me like I was standing still....at 90 mph).

Those guys are amazing to watch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts